What's new

Brown Leaf Tradition

What should we do regarding the Memorial B&B BL LE Pipe #20

• Keep adding new numbers for pipes which will not be made to remember passed members

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Make Pipe #20 the "Broken Pipe" to honor and remember our members who have passed.

Votes: 16 100.0%

• Total voters

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We have had a lot of folks come and go since 2017, so many may not be aware of the B&B tradition since then of skipping the issuance of Pipe #20 in remembrance of @bryant.

For those who are unaware, bryant was a very active member of the Brown Leaf.
In 2017 he received #20 of the B&B 2017 BL LE pipe.

Sadly a week later, his wife contacted B&B to inform us that he had passed away as a result of a traffic accident just 5 days after he received the 2017 B&B LE Pipe.
Since then, #20 has been skipped when the LE pipe has been ordered in his memory.

If I may be so bold, I am suggesting that as it is difficult to track down exact numbers ordered by past members, and the diminishing number of pipes which would be available if we did the same for each B&B Brown Leaf denizen who was loved and will be missed, may we discuss the option of having B&B LE Pipe #20 represent our beloved members who are no longer with us?

If so, this year the skipping of #20 pipe would represent @bryant and @Mike H

I suggest this not to diminish the memory of bryant at all, but to say that he is joined in our hearts and prayers by others like him.
I think he would have been honored, not disappointed to have had the pipe which came to be known as the B&B Brown Leaf Limited Edition Memorial number.

Your thoughts gents?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I may be in the minority in thinking that we should retire the last pipe number MikeH received. MikeH was a pillar off the Brown Leaf as well. It would be a nice way to honor him in a distinct way, rather than "clumping him in" with Bryant.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I’m in agreement with Isaac. But whatever the group decides, it is a nice tradition we have for remembering our members.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Personally, I don't see it as lumping anything together, in other words decreasing the importance.
My take is that it is elevating the significance of #20, the broken pipe to a higher level.
I think that listing who it represents is an important part of that.
The mention of #20, and the friends who are no longer with us is a vital part of the pipe sale announcement thread, and should be repeated with a specific portion of the announcement each year.

I think that having a paragraph that states

"As per Brown Leaf Tradition, the #20 pipe will not be made. Pipe #20 is the broken pipe, and represents bryant and Mike H to remember them and to show how much they are missed."

allows us to focus on those guys rather than focusing on what number of the pipe is not being made. In other words "pipe #20 for bryant, and pipe #xx for Mike H, and pipe #xx for xxx, will not be made..." etc.

Changed thread to a poll

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Slight topic drift, if I may. Another forum that I used to frequent, had a nice way of honouring lost members. They were given an In Memorium badge, akin to the Mod/Emeritus/Contributor badges. I know some have had a ribbon added to their avatar, but depending what that pic is, it might not be clearly visible. It would be nice to see something similar here, across B&B as a whole, for any members known to have passed away.

Back to the annual forum pipe issue, I don't partake in group buys, so don't "have a dog in the fight", but I think the broken pipe is a perfectly adequate gesture. It also serves should we lose any Brown Leaf members who were active on the forum, but didn't necessarily get in on the group buys for whatever reason. Maybe with a link to a Memorium thread or wiki page, with a brief bio of those remembered.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Slight topic drift, if I may. Another forum that I used to frequent, had a nice way of honouring lost members. They were given an In Memorium badge, akin to the Mod/Emeritus/Contributor badges. I know some have had a ribbon added to their avatar, but depending what that pic is, it might not be clearly visible. It would be nice to see something similar here, across B&B as a whole, for any members known to have passed away.

Back to the annual forum pipe issue, I don't partake in group buys, so don't "have a dog in the fight", but I think the broken pipe is a perfectly adequate gesture. It also serves should we lose any Brown Leaf members who were active on the forum, but didn't necessarily get in on the group buys for whatever reason. Maybe with a link to a Memorium thread or wiki page, with a brief bio of those remembered.
As fate would have it, I have already made up "In Memorium" badges, like Contributor, Ambassador or Wiki Badges under the avatar. I am just waiting on funding to get the background work done so that they can be assigned.
As is the case now, when you click a badge, Contributor goes to the Upgrade/Contribution page, Moderator goes to the Who is Who Mod page, Ambassador goes to the Who is Who Ambassador page - In Memorium badges will link to a Memorial forum which tells a bit about each In Memorium member.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As fate would have it, I have already made up "In Memorium" badges, like Contributor, Ambassador or Wiki Badges under the avatar. I am just waiting on funding to get the background work done so that they can be assigned.
As is the case now, when you click a badge, Contributor goes to the Upgrade/Contribution page, Moderator goes to the Who is Who Mod page, Ambassador goes to the Who is Who Ambassador page - In Memorium badges will link to a Memorial forum which tells a bit about each In Memorium member.

Perfect!

I don't have strong feelings about the issue, but I lean towards the broken pipe thing. Unless I'm remembering things wrong, #20 was the last LE pipe Allan happened to receive, not a number he specifically requested or that had some kind of significance to him. There's no personal attachment to that number, other than the one we've ascribed to it over the last five years. In the grand scheme of things I don't think honoring a specific number that was randomly assigned to someone's pipe is all that important. Let's not conflate Allan's or Mike's legacy, with a pipe number. The pipe is just a yearly memorial that gives us a second to pause and think about our brothers that went before us. The number doesn't represent the individual.

Allan happened to be the friend that started our version of the missing man formation with pipe #20. I think we should keep using that number as a memorial for all of us when our time comes. Just my 2 cents, and we all know how much that is worth in today's inflationary climate.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We've got not a single nay, so I put the line in the Pipe Thread to honor both gents.
If someone seriously has an issue with this, my intent is to honor, not degrade, so let me know if you do have issue with it.

Top Bottom