What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

I feel like I should warn you... Aromatics are not going to taste a lot like what they're claiming the flavors are. You might get a hint of it, but it's nothing like vaping. If you want something that tastes like vanilla, apple, etc. you're better off getting that through vaping. ACID cigars have more flavoring to them than pipe tobacco does, as a reference point.
I generally like the smell of pipe tobacco when ive smelled it, just never actually smoke it.
Although like you suggest, this is why I want to start with something relatively cheap and easy to see if i catch a 'big' i like.

Ended up with
Missouri Meerschaum: Legend Bent
Sutliff: Tobacco Galleria: Rum & Maple
Sutliff: Z92 Vanilla Custard
plus filters and the pipe cleaners recommended

All for $17 shipped. Should be interesting. Thank you everyone for your help/advise

I was the same way , loved the smell . Started with Cavendish , okay , smelled great in the room , but a gooey mess in the stem and shank , no fun and a job to clean . Also , I don't know if anyone has ever said , but breaking in a new pipe , it needs to be done slowly with half bowls , no fast , hot puffing . Plus you want to build cake , it protects the bowl . I've only burn out one new pipe , and I'm sure it was a bad place in the briar , but it happens . I've only bought one estate that was actually burnt out , but the cake hid it . I reamed the pipe before the salt and rum (bourbon is good , ever clear (no taste) , or whatever) treatment , and I saw it . Bummer , but it still smokes good , just had to be careful and let the cake build back , got pretty hot , but works fine , now . ... you'll find as you go taste changes , drinking sweet stuff , and pipe smoking doesn't go well together < (IMO) for me anyway , like the tongue bite from many aromatics .

Got everything in the Mail today, plus a Zippo pipe lighter, might light it up tonight after kids go to bed.

Any first time tips?

Hello Brown leaf! I've been a B&B member for years and don't know if I ever posted here. I have several pipes, including a very nice Peterson I Picked up for 50 bucks. Also have a humidor with some Louisana cigars and La Gloria Maduros.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Hello Brown leaf! I've been a B&B member for years and don't know if I ever posted here. I have several pipes, including a very nice Peterson I Picked up for 50 bucks. Also have a humidor with some Louisana cigars and La Gloria Maduros.

Welcome [MENTION=44405]Goober[/MENTION] to our little corner of B&B! Sounds like you'll be right at home here. We like pictures. Lots of pictures. :thumbup1:

Hello all,

New to the forum this month, and have been working my way around.

Been a smoker for years, but started MYO cigarettes about a year and a half ago.

I get whole leaf tobacco imported (legally) from the States from a website (awesome site, PM me for details, Cigar/Cigarette making supplies and leaf combos). It comes from the farmers. We strip the stems, shred and electrically inject our tubes.

Right now we've got a 4:3:1 ratio of Yendji Oriental, Flue Cured Canadian and Aged Burley leaf tobaccos going on.

They're way better (IMHO) than commercially produced cigarettes in that they have no added chemicals, just pure tobacco leaves. The best part is blending leaves though. That's fun!!

Never really got into pipes and cigars, but if custom-Turkish-blend-cigarette-making-newbie-wet-shavers are welcome, count me in!

I was the same way , loved the smell . Started with Cavendish , okay , smelled great in the room , but a gooey mess in the stem and shank , no fun and a job to clean . Also , I don't know if anyone has ever said , but breaking in a new pipe , it needs to be done slowly with half bowls , no fast , hot puffing . Plus you want to build cake , it protects the bowl . I've only burn out one new pipe , and I'm sure it was a bad place in the briar , but it happens . I've only bought one estate that was actually burnt out , but the cake hid it . I reamed the pipe before the salt and rum (bourbon is good , ever clear (no taste) , or whatever) treatment , and I saw it . Bummer , but it still smokes good , just had to be careful and let the cake build back , got pretty hot , but works fine , now . ... you'll find as you go taste changes , drinking sweet stuff , and pipe smoking doesn't go well together < (IMO) for me anyway , like the tongue bite from many aromatics .
I know that feeling when you refurbish an estate pipe and found a crack hidden underneath the cake layer. I restored a nasty crack once by cleaning up the crack first. You might be shocked by this process as the crack seems to become bigger than it used to be but this step is necessary to get rid of the burnt out briar around the crack area. Once this is done fill up the crack with briar sanding dust followed by a layer of super glue. Sand down and repeat the step until the crack is filled up smoothly on the outside. On the inside I used a toothpick and Pratley Putty steel to cover the crack. Worked like a charm for me. Thereafter comes the fun part building up the cake layer again.:thumbup:

Howdy yall. I must say there is nothing quite like a good cigar after a long day or to start off your day on the right foot. I used to sell cigars at a shop north of Houston for a while. I have several romeos in tubes that have been aging since 2000 and I am fortunate enough to have a single partagas 150, yes the 150, not the 160. I am waiting for Cuban Montecristo #2's to start flowing into the U.S. again. If it's out there, I have probably had a few. I also enjoy smoking a pipe here and there. My favorite blend was an altadis hot chocolate but I have a hard time getting it recently.

Servus!

Just checking back in - it's been a year or so since the last post (well, I made 3 today...) and I figured that maybe it was time to get back into the community!

Welcome back, Rattlesnake Jake.

I have a question for the community regarding pipe size and the sweetness and richness of the smoke. I have three different pipes and the largest one seems to give me the richest, sweetest smoke. Is there anything I can do to smoke the smaller pipes to try and increase the flavor of the smoke?

Maybe I'm expecting too much right now while the pipe is new and hopefully I'll enjoy this pocket pipe more once it's broken in a bit more.

Yeah, I picked one up with a tin of Squadron Leader to give it a try. I think it's starting to break in and taste better. One snag is that I can't feed a pipe cleaner past the tenon into the shank with this pipe, I have to wait for the pipe to cool to pull the stem and clean the shank.

Yeah, I picked one up with a tin of Squadron Leader to give it a try. I think it's starting to break in and taste better. One snag is that I can't feed a pipe cleaner past the tenon into the shank with this pipe, I have to wait for the pipe to cool to pull the stem and clean the shank.

I picked up a couple of them. I didn't have any noticable issue with the flavor of mine so far as they break in, but the pipe cleaner thing is the same for sure. I will add that I have had several basket pipe varieties of pocket pipe in this size range, and the fit and finish on these two is far superior to the other ones I've picked up. I'd say for the price, if someone is looking for a mini pipe, I'd recommend these for sure.

Top Bottom