What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

I hate to be the party pooper... but there's no selling, trading, or even giving of tobacco allowed here. Signing up for a Brown Leaf badge covers B&B legally and allows you to trade and PIF (no selling of course).

Yep, hence why I said I would go back and read the rules before any exchange happened. I thought I read that before/was told that... Wanted to double check before I crossed the line/broke any rules. No trades/exchanged were made.

Yep, hence why I said I would go back and read the rules before any exchange happened. I thought I read that before/was told that... Wanted to double check before I crossed the line/broke any rules. No trades/exchanged were made.
Exactly. No harm was done and your generosity is much appreciated, but we don't even consider actual trades outside of the BL guidelines. I had already ordered that fiver (along with a few other things) by the time I had replied to your post. :thumbup1:

If you really like maduro cigars make sure to try the camancho triple maduro. They are awesome. If you age them six months they become more awesome. With a year, they are bliss. Congrats on your new fiver.

Looking for a few recommendations... a few years back I had dabbled in pipe smoking. I used to get a lot of tongue bite and had a difficult time with the whole process. After a lot of reading on sites such as this I realize that most of that was probably due to me being terrible in every process of smoking a pipe. That being said, armed with my new knowledge and the help of the internet I'm looking to get back into the hobby. Soooo... looking for some advice on good flavored, relaxing tobacco that will make for an enjoyable experience. Maybe one OTC (if they exist) and then something of a higher class (but still reasonably priced for a newbie). Aromatic is always pleasing to me, but based off some of the things I read may be poor grade tobacco perfumed up. Since I'm smoking for my enjoyment, I'm more concerned with the taste and suitability of it than the way it smells to others. From what I remembered I tended to enjoy the sweeter (if that's right) tast and less like a cigar. I smoke cigars when I want that.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year to all.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Welcome to all the new BLers! Everyone is asking for advice, which is great! There is a ton of advice floating around here, but let me throw in a few quickies.

--Ask anything and everything you can think of. Who doesn't like chatting about this stuff?

--Dive in and try stuff. Suggestions are great, but no one knows what you like more than you do. If you have a local shop, take full advantage of it. When it comes to pipe tobacco, they usually are quite liberal about sampling bulk blends, and that can teach you a ton about what you tend to go for. For cigars, you can hang out and discuss a stick while you're smoking it. If you need to order online, look for bulk or cigar sample packages. And, as mentioned, BL folks tend to get generous in The Stock Exchange, once you can get your BL badge. No matter whether you like or dislike something, you learn more about what you want.

--Unfortunately, it's not so easy to sample pipes. However, it's not hard to find good quality pipes at reasonable prices. This also is where a good local shop is a boon, since you might be able to actually wrap your fingers around something that interests you. I agree that a Missouri Meerschaum cob is a very affordable way to get started, by always keep in mind that corn cob pipes smoke differently than briar, which smokes differently than meerschaum, which smokes differently than morta, which smokes differently than clay . . . . You get the idea.

--Relax and enjoy. It's no big deal to relight a pipe or cigar. Take it easy, and savor.

--Call your banker. You're about to suffer from another acquisition disorder.

Adding onto what Doak wrote, check out the stickies at the top of the page :thumbup1:
No such thing as a stupid question, we are all here to help each other out

I dont even know where to start...

From what I can tell I want to start small to see if I actually like this pipe shenannegans, but Im getting older have a beard and am a father. I want to sit on a porch after grilling meat with a brown adult beverage and feel refined, as it were.

Is there somewhere I can start with say under 20-25 investment [im thinking corn cob? if so what are a few reputable online shops. I have no idea where to start with the actual tobacco, I usually drink rum if that helps at all.

Oh, because im greedy and have another question. Antique pipes, are they worth it? easy to clean and use? any threads out there to tell me what to look for. I already search the stores for Shaving Addition Items, this would give me something else to look for.

Welcome to the Brown Leaf mate. I'd recommend a MM corn cob pipe. Tobacco wise the other gents will be better at advising you than me.

Antique pipes can be worth it, but as with everything it depends. You need to know what to look for, what to avoid, and what kind of time you will spend cleaning it. I'd start of with the corn cob and go from there

The three big online shops are:
- Smoking Pipes
- Pipes & Cigars
- 4noggins

You'll want a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe (something like a Legend). ~$5

As for tobacco, I guess you could do some bulk blends and only buy an ounce or so to try. You'll probably want to try a couple styles.
- Peter Stokkebye Bullseye Flake (Virginia & Perique blend) ~$3
- Cornell & Diehl Star of the East (English blend) ~$3
- Lane Limited 1Q (Aromatic blend) ~$2.50

For a burley blend, you can try to find a local place that sells Prince Albert or Carter Hall.

That's about as simple as I can think of while staying under $20.

Hopefully we can steer you in directions that will help reduce unwanted purchases. Tell us about what kinds of flavors you enjoy in other things and what kinds of smells.
- Do you like smoked food?
- Does campfire, pine, or incense smoke please your nose?
- Do you have experience with any kind of tobacco in the past, and if so, what kind and did you like/dislike it?
- Do you have a sweet tooth?
- Will the opinions of others smelling your smoke matter, and if so, how would they answer those questions?

To keep investment under or near that number and have the best chance of enjoying, start with a cob and bulk (or maybe pouch, but not tinned) blends.

1. For $7 total, get three generous >1oz samples from SterlingTobaccoCo.com - I like campfirey, incensey English/Balkan blends and I recommend the following: Richmond Blender's Choice, American Patriot, Balkan Sterling. You might want to get just one of those and also choose a sweet aromatic and a plain non-aromatic.

2. According to reviews on tobaccoreviews.com, the cob included with Pipa Whiskey and Pipa Cherry Cavendish is a genuine unfinished Missouri Meerschaum Legend. That's the perfect pipe to start with, and you might as well get some free low-quality tobacco with it for the same price. You probably won't like the tobacco but you might. I haven't tried either of those, but their Vanilla Cavendish (which comes with a Chinese cob, which I also find to be a good pipe but the MM is a sure thing) is surprisingly decent.
$5 http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/40098/pipa-pipe-kit/

3. BJ Long 6.5" Tapered Regular Cleaners - but do use cotton swabs for areas you can reach with them, save the pipe cleaners for the narrowest/longest passages and mid-smoke cleanings where you don't remove the stem...cotton swabs are 300 for $1 at the dollar store.
$2 http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-cleaners/66606/bj-long-pipe-cleaners/

4. An ounce each of two or three other low-cost bulk blends at P&C, as recommended based on your descriptions of tastes you like -- though regardless of our guesses, in the end you really should try at least one English, one aromatic, and one non-aromatic (Virginia and/or Burley).

5. For $1 confirm your age and get a Brown Leaf badge so that you can check out the Stock Exchange sub-forum here and we can all send you samples to try.

Don't spend your initial trial investment on accessories much. Golf tees are excellent tampers/pokers/stirrers for managing the bowl during a smoke.

- Do you have experience with any kind of tobacco in the past, and if so, what kind and did you like/dislike it?
- Will the opinions of others smelling your smoke matter, and if so, how would they answer those questions?

Yes, I heart smoked meats

They all do prob tend more toward incense and pine

Occasional Cigars [Acid, CAO] I do have a vape and tend toward dessert flavors.

For smoking definitly. I like Vanilla and other flavors you would get from a good Rum

It will to an extent, but it would be outside with mainly my GF who would be smoking a flavoured cigar.

Based on those answers I'd guess that you would like aromatics and Englishes/Balkans but not necessarily non-aromatics.

Low-cost English blends to order along with your Pipa kit: Sutliff Heavy English, Sutliff Balkan II, Dunhill My Mixture 965 (expensive in tin but bulk is reasonably cheap for just an ounce). I hear that Hearth & Home Signature Larry's Blend is great but I haven't had the opportunity to try it.

Looks like SmokingPipes also carries the Pipa kit and they have better prices on those Sutliff blends.

Someone else will have to suggest some low-cost bulk sweet tooth aromatics. On review I really haven't tried many that are available from P&C or SP; I've had plenty of aromatics but almost all were pouch or tin and the only low-cost ones aren't good enough to recommend (except ones from other sellers). However, if you come across Middleton's pouch blends Apple or Black & Mild, they're excellent and I totally recommend them. Lane 1Q is the universal recommendation and it's decent but I find it uninspiring.

If you do any shopping in stores, here are a couple things to remember:

Store-branded blends are rarely made at the store; most are relabeled bulk from Lane, Stokkebye, or Sutliff.

If it comes in a plastic sack that hangs, stands on its own, or has a handle, it's not actually meant for pipes; rather it's roll-your-own cigarette tobacco dodging taxes using a labeling loophole. That's not the only packaging style for RYO though, and sometimes it comes in packaging similar to actual pipe blends. When in doubt, google it.

Awesome, thank so much for your help!

I'll get that brown leaf tag when I get home tonight too, to see what that exchange is all about.

Oh one more question, are filters a thing for pipe smoking at all?

In discussion forums like this it seems that filters are pretty unpopular.

I like them for keeping bits of tobacco and ash out of my mouth. For me, getting that stuff in my mouth is the opposite of relaxing and smoking is about relaxing. I use filters in pipes where they fit (most cobs) and I don't worry about it in pipes that don't take filters.

Oh, and you asked about estate pipes...cleaning and restoring them can be a whole hobby of its own. For a while I was bottom-feeding on eBay snapping up potentially decent ones that were only a few bucks and I have a bunch of them now (including some very nice ones that I got lucky to score for cheap), but few are among my favorites as much as cobs and Missouri Meerschaum Ozark hardwoods. It's tough to beat their consistently great behavior and smoking characteristics.

Picking out tobacco is like picking up my first 'real' shave soap. So. Many. Options.
Im thinking I should get 2-3 of the more newbie friendly flavored or aromatics with notes of like rum, vanilla, apple or something like that. No idea where to start. Are there any good sites with full reviews [or stores with decent reviews?
[i did get my leaf badge]

Tobacco review.com could be a good place to start looking for review.
When you find something you think you like you can share it with us.

Good search.

I feel like I should warn you... Aromatics are not going to taste a lot like what they're claiming the flavors are. You might get a hint of it, but it's nothing like vaping. If you want something that tastes like vanilla, apple, etc. you're better off getting that through vaping. ACID cigars have more flavoring to them than pipe tobacco does, as a reference point.

Top Bottom