What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

Didn't see any pipes at the antique store that weren't pretty beat up, just more shaving stuff. So I bought a Missouri Meershaum cob pipe and some Captain Black from Walgreens.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You certainly can't go wrong with an MM cob and Captain Black in the white pouch is very popular and one of the blends that I started out with. Like most any OTC blend in a pouch, Captain Black is full of propylene glycol to keep it moist. If you get Lane RLP-6 bulk from an online source such as Smoking Pipes, it's the same thing as Cpt. Blk. w/o the PG and will burn and taste better. I've purchased most of my vintage pipes from the 'bay, many for $15-30, but you have to be careful and know what to look for. Smoking Pipes has a vast assortment of vintage pipes that while not as cheap as what you might find at an online auction site, are still half the price of a new pipe and are sure to have been properly cleaned and in top condition, with a good return policy if you are not satisfied.

Didn't see any pipes at the antique store that weren't pretty beat up, just more shaving stuff. So I bought a Missouri Meershaum cob pipe and some Captain Black from Walgreens.
Join the stock exchange, and pm your address info, Ill shoot you a pipe and some tobacco..
Not sure where the link is for the stock exchange..

Hello. I'm not sure if this place is just for pipe tobacco or cigars as well. I love cigars and when I hang out with my brother I have a few puffs on his pipe. I have been wanting to get into pipe tobacco and pipes just have no idea where to start. I'm starting to do the research so once I am able to afford a pipe and tobacco I can get something that is decent entry level and not complete crap.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hello. I'm not sure if this place is just for pipe tobacco or cigars as well. I love cigars and when I hang out with my brother I have a few puffs on his pipe. I have been wanting to get into pipe tobacco and pipes just have no idea where to start. I'm starting to do the research so once I am able to afford a pipe and tobacco I can get something that is decent entry level and not complete crap.

Welcome to the BL!

A Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe is more than good enough to enjoy the pipe smoking hobby. And they are relatively cheap as well.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thanks for the tip. Also what else is really required to start other than the obvious pipe and tobacco

I would say a nail or golf tee for tamping, a soft flame lighter(like a bic), and pipe cleaners to keep your pipe clean. You also need stubbornness too keep at it until you get the hang of it. Unlike cigars, pipe smoking requires attention and a certain level of skill for success. Apparently the old timers can do it in their sleep though.

It's for cigars as well. Just not a lot to chat about cigars. I guess saying that I dip them in Southern Comfort might cause some talk. :) But that would be an overstatement.

There is a COTD thread where people posts their cigar of the day and one about best cigar of the year.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's for cigars as well. Just not a lot to chat about cigars. I guess saying that I dip them in Southern Comfort might cause some talk. :) But that would be an overstatement.

There is a COTD thread where people posts their cigar of the day and one about best cigar of the year.

All it takes is a thread to be started :).

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

Cigars are welcome here! Many of us enjoy both pipes and cigars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For cigars my two favs are Olivia series v and drew estates java and mocha. I havent really known anyone who really likes cigars so never got into them. I found out about the series v by the general manager at the Chevy dealership I used to work at.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Thanks for the tip. Also what else is really required to start other than the obvious pipe and tobacco

I would say a nail or golf tee for tamping, a soft flame lighter(like a bic), and pipe cleaners to keep your pipe clean. You also need stubbornness too keep at it until you get the hang of it. Unlike cigars, pipe smoking requires attention and a certain level of skill for success. Apparently the old timers can do it in their sleep though.
+1

Also if you order a cob from Aristocob.com, he includes golf tees with every pipe. Great customer service, too.

Ahh the Cobb...when I used to smoke pipes, the Missouri merrshaum Cobb was one of my favorite daily pipes, even when I had a decent pipe collection with some pretty expensive pipes.

Cobb and Carter hall In a zip lock baggie. .. Had them with me pretty much wherever I went.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I had a dream that I left 3 nice looking pipes out in the rain, but they ended up being ok. They were none that I currently own, and one was olive wood. I wonder if my subconscious mind is trying to tell me something.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I got out the Ouija board. . . contacted the master of dreams, Sigmund Freud. He said. . . tell Owen to bring his pipes inside after smoking.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I got out the Ouija board. . . contacted the master of dreams, Sigmund Freud. He said. . . tell Owen to bring his pipes inside after smoking.
Had you contacted the Master of B&B the answer would have been "Tell Owen to buy more pipes" :)

Top Bottom