What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I first joined B&B back in 2007 to talk shaving, but I have been on and off in my activity over the last year as life has become more busy. I have a young family (4 year old, 2 year old and a new baby due in june) and getting out for a pipe and a beer is one of my times to relax.

I first smoked a pipe way back in 1997, but I could never figure it out. I would come back to it from time to time, but I was a cigar guy with no patience. It wasn't until 2006 that I really smoked with any regularity. I went back to the pipe mainly because it was so much cheaper than cigars, but I also started having more fun after I had some luck figuring out packing the pipe and keeping it lit. I have started to obsess quite a bit more in the last year after i found the youtube channels out there. I don't have the time to smoke all the time, but I am having a lot of fun trying new things.

I have a collection of about 25 pipes, all acquired from my dad's collection. I spent most of my time last summer with Dunhill 965, but am currently working through GL Pease blends.
Pipes, like shaving, are ritualistic. A lot of the pleasure in smoking a pipe is slowing down and tending to the ritual. It s quiet "me" time.

I finally had my first pipe today. My favorite cigar shop has a tobacconist and I got the chance to talk to him for a bit. I ended up walking out with a tin of Dunhill Nightcap, Czech tool, and a nice cob pipe. I proceeded to enjoy half a bowl on the way home. The smoke was very nice and rich. I got the feeling that an overstuffed chair may be mandatory, though. I could see it going very well with sitting back and relaxing with a gentlemanly libation.

Next up is hunting estate pipes.

Lastly, thank you to those of you who posted how to properly light a pipe. It helped immensely.

I finally had my first pipe today. My favorite cigar shop has a tobacconist and I got the chance to talk to him for a bit. I ended up walking out with a tin of Dunhill Nightcap, Czech tool, and a nice cob pipe. I proceeded to enjoy half a bowl on the way home. The smoke was very nice and rich. I got the feeling that an overstuffed chair may be mandatory, though. I could see it going very well with sitting back and relaxing with a gentlemanly libation.

Next up is hunting estate pipes.

Lastly, thank you to those of you who posted how to properly light a pipe. It helped immensely.

Welcome to the BL! Wow, Nightcap as your first bowl? I applaud you, I couldn't have handled such a rich and deep tobacco like that at first, and thats not even factoring in the big vitamin N punch! Get a chair or better yet, sit outside and enjoy nature with a cold brew or a neat glass of whiskey while smoking your pipe. It is sublime!

Wow, Nightcap as your first bowl?!

Well, I was a Marlboro man for a while and have walked many miles for a Camel. I gave all that up after a friend introduced me to good cigars. I told the tobacconist what I liked in cigars and he said to try EMP, Nightcap, or 965.

It is quite heavy, and strikes me as an end of the day smoke. After pay day, I'll probably pick up something lighter for daytime enjoyment.

Now if only I could get a good approximation of Drew Estate's Java cigars in a pipe tobacco. Does a good coffee flavored pipe tobacco exist?

Welcome to the BL! Wow, Nightcap as your first bowl? I applaud you, I couldn't have handled such a rich and deep tobacco like that at first, and thats not even factoring in the big vitamin N punch! Get a chair or better yet, sit outside and enjoy nature with a cold brew or a neat glass of whiskey while smoking your pipe. It is sublime!

yup for me its part of my sunday morning ritual. well either a pipe or a cigar. But I get up early enough that everything is still quiet, take a nice warm shower, strop up a straight razor, after i finish up a nice leisurely shave i step outside with the ipad and read either the news or some automotive blogs, while smoking my pipe or cigar and sipping on some fresh coffee.

Now if only I could get a good approximation of Drew Estate's Java cigars in a pipe tobacco. Does a good coffee flavored pipe tobacco exist?

I don't know off the top of my head, but you could make a thread asking for suggestions, guys around here love to help!

Well, I was a Marlboro man for a while and have walked many miles for a Camel. I gave all that up after a friend introduced me to good cigars. I told the tobacconist what I liked in cigars and he said to try EMP, Nightcap, or 965.

It is quite heavy, and strikes me as an end of the day smoke. After pay day, I'll probably pick up something lighter for daytime enjoyment.

Welcome aboard...

For a lighter daytime note, I'd actually highly recommend like Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic, carter hall, half and half... for some reason the drugstore blends always strike me as lighter and more mellow in general, so long as you avoid the really aromatic ones like cherry and whatnot.

Hey
all im new to the BL gonna pick up a pipe soon and i think it will be enjoyable as i enjoy my new de razor any advice is welcome being as a am new to the pipe smoking.

Hey
all im new to the BL gonna pick up a pipe soon and i think it will be enjoyable as i enjoy my new de razor any advice is welcome being as a am new to the pipe smoking.

Never mind the fools in the corner! Welcome to the BL (again). There is plenty of advice all around, read all the threads you can, comment on existing ones and make your own if you have any questions you don't see answered!

i am really excited and also thankful that i found bnb that i found other people that enjoy the things i do like de shaving and pipe smoking. Its like christmas and fourth of july wrapped into one. Hopefully i can cut back on smoking cigarettes.

i am really excited and also thankful that i found bnb that i found other people that enjoy the things i do like de shaving and pipe smoking. Its like christmas and fourth of july wrapped into one. Hopefully i can cut back on smoking cigarettes.

You should be able to cut back, if not totally eliminate cigs. Pipe smoking is just infinitely more enjoyable (and just like the DE myth, it can save you money)

ive actually cut back on smoking a lot on cigarettes after picking up the pipe. You got to love B&B though, great group of guys here. Don't be shy about starting a thread if you have any questions that you cant find the answer too.

There's a period, the kid is improving already! See... pipe smoking does make you smarter.:biggrin1: If you're going to hang around here, you have to get used to some ribbing, it's all in good fun though. Welcome to the BL, where you come for the pipe smoking, but leave with a greater understanding of the "Shift" key.:thumbup:

If you're going to hang around here, you have to get used to some ribbing, it's all in good fun though.

+1

cardsfan28:

I was actually making fun of myself, in my comment above, although I might be the only one who knew that LOL. I was trying to talk about commas, in my early days on B&B, and spelled it comas. I was immediately "ribbed" by some members, It's all in fun and is what makes this place great IMO.

I hope you can get off of the cigs and enjoy your pipe, or at least tilt it more towards the pipe side.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There's a period, the kid is improving already! See... pipe smoking does make you smarter.:biggrin1: If you're going to hang around here, you have to get used to some ribbing, it's all in good fun though. Welcome to the BL, where you come for the pipe smoking, but leave with a greater understanding of the "Shift" key.:thumbup:
i dON't kNOW wHAT yOU aRE tALKING aBOUT :biggrin:

Suppose I should check in. Been a Cigar smoker on and off for about 20 years. In fact, started smoking cigars before switching to cigarettes. Stopped smoking cigarettes about 7 years ago, and have been smoking cigars regularly for about 3 years now. Just picked up pipe smoking a couple weeks ago, and really starting to enjoy it, though I look forward to trying some other tobacco, since we are very limited in the tobacco available locally.

So, I began looking at B&B in March of last year, and became a member in April (I think). As to Brown Leaf, I have smoked cigarettes for far too long and am making my third attempt at pipe smoking in an effort both to cut back on the Camels (I told the wife I would quit by Winter) and to learn to relax a bit more. I enjoy it, but am struggling with patience, as I am used to smoke breaks lasting only five minutes or so. My current set up is a basket briar from a local tobacco shop, a blend from that same tobacco shop (which I believe is compose primarily of Virginia's), and a tin of Old Dublin. Right now, I do not smoke my pipe daily, but that would be ideal. Anyway, I appreciate all of the great information available on this forum. It's a great resource.

Hey, My name is John and I have been a B+B member for several months now. I'm not sure how I missed The Brown Leaf sub-forum but man, was I excited to find it today!! I have been leisurely sampling just about any cigar I can get my hands on since about 1995. I also enjoy the art of pairing cigars with drinks, wine, booze, beers etc...all very interesting and enjoyable stuff. I dabbled in pipe smoking before I had kids (still have the pipe but rarely the occasion to use it) and these days read, think and talk about cigars far more than I smoke them (maybe once a month) but keep my humidor stocked at all times. As far as preferences go my go to stogie is from Baccarat, I like 'em short and fat like a Robusto or a Corona. The Baccarat is mild with a nice easy draw and used to have the end dipped in Cognac...not sure if they are still doing this. I've got a current picture of my modest humidor around here somewhere...I'll post it as soon as I find it!
-John

Top Bottom