What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

So many people talking about me (clay :)), I thought I would drop in.

I received a PIF of 5 excellent Habana, Cuba cigars from @MaxG. I am enjoying them tremendously. I had tried cigars in my youth, when I smoked cigarettes and did not enjoy them.

Now I do enjoy them, probably because I can taste so much better from quitting cigarettes. I can see myself purchasing some every so often.

Thanks again MaxG!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I had tried cigars in my youth, when I smoked cigarettes and did not enjoy them.

Now I do enjoy them, probably because I can taste so much better from quitting cigarettes. I can see myself purchasing some every so often.

I felt the same way up until two years ago. Even when I started smoking a pipe three years ago, it took me a year to start appreciating cigars. Enjoy!

I quit cigarettes 15 years ago. The last couple weeks I've been fighting the urge to try a pipe. Lost the fight and went to a local cigar bar/ smoke shop this morning.
Only a $30 investment. They give a 50gram bag with the purchase of a Briar pipe and I chose another just for experimenting.
I'll give it a couple weeks. If I decide not to smoke one my son in law does so I give it to him.
IMG_20190323_140651.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I quit cigarettes 15 years ago. The last couple weeks I've been fighting the urge to try a pipe. Lost the fight and went to a local cigar bar/ smoke shop this morning.
Only a $30 investment. They give a 50gram bag with the purchase of a Briar pipe and I chose another just for experimenting.
I'll give it a couple weeks. If I decide not to smoke one my son in law does so I give it to him.
View attachment 965724

Welcome to the club! I see you picked up some aromatic cherry tobacco, is the Voyager aromatic as well?

View attachment 965724

Wow, looks like a solid deal! WTG!

Thanks, according to the pipe smoking guide( small pamphlet printed by store) . They list the Voyager as Virginia and Cavendish blend, mild and smooth. The Cherry Festival as , Cherry and Black Cavendish blend. These are their blends.
Tried a 1/2 bowl of each. Gave an hour or so for cooling between . So far the Voyager is leading a bit. However I tried the Cherry Festival first and Drew a bit harder.. Time will tell.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks, according to the pipe smoking guide( small pamphlet printed by store) . They list the Voyager as Virginia and Cavendish blend, mild and smooth. The Cherry Festival as , Cherry and Black Cavendish blend. These are their blends.
Tried a 1/2 bowl of each. Gave an hour or so for cooling between . So far the Voyager is leading a bit. However I tried the Cherry Festival first and Drew a bit harder.. Time will tell.
Some people love aromatics, some people find they can’t stand them and give it up altogether. If you contribute $1 for the Brown Leaf badge (which is good forever), you can access the Stock Exchange where we can trade and PIF tobacco. Lots of generous guys here. I have been known to send out samples from time to time (some would say enabling to stimulate MacBaren sales :) ) Welcome aboard.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

Reason why I asked is as a former cigarette smoker you may enjoy the flavors of Virginia and Burley blends.

Hello again. Tried the Cherry Festival blend again this evening, I like the smell of this blend but it doesn't seem to smoke well. It seems to be a bit moist and stickier, compared to the Voyager blend.
Some advice on how to store and carry would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't want it to dry out too much.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hello again. Tried the Cherry Festival blend again this evening, I like the smell of this blend but it doesn't seem to smoke well. It seems to be a bit moist and stickier, compared to the Voyager blend.
Some advice on how to store and carry would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't want it to dry out too much.

I don’t think some wet aromatics can really dry much. I store all of my tobacco in mason jars. I carry the small jelly jars in my work truck, and times that I want to carry on my person I use a leather Toby pouch.

The pipe smoking is going well. Kind off relaxing once I get parked for the day. After doing more reading I think I should pick up another pipe, then some different tobacco. Both bags I originally got are aromatic, Maybe try a Virginia, Burley blend.
I will be home this weekend and will make a look through a couple antique stores to see if they have any interesting pipes.
Question ; Is there anything I should look out for with used pipes?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The pipe smoking is going well. Kind off relaxing once I get parked for the day. After doing more reading I think I should pick up another pipe, then some different tobacco. Both bags I originally got are aromatic, Maybe try a Virginia, Burley blend.
I will be home this weekend and will make a look through a couple antique stores to see if they have any interesting pipes.

I would first and foremost take a whiff of the bowl. For myself I have never been able to rid a pipe of Cherry and Lakeland ghosting.

Secondly look for charcoal looking surfaces in the bowl, loose stems, and cracked/dented stems. The cheaper the pipe the less I worry about this tho.

Finally check online for prices on similar pipes or at least get an idea of what used Pipes go for.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

With estate pipes generally avoid chewed through stems, cracked bowls, pipes with burn spots showing on the outside of the bowl, any material other than briar or meerschaum. Exceptions to the above aren’t the pipe is valuable enough to make it worth overcoming those deficiencies, so if you’re not enough of a collector to know the difference I’d stick w avoiding any pipes with those issues. Agree w Kentos about avoiding cherry smelling pipes. Lakeland pipes I don’t mind since I smoke lakeland blends—those smell floral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom