What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I super glued my churchwarden clay and it’s so far working ok.
I thought about doing that, but I wasn't sure how the heat would affect the glue, it being such a short pipe. Maybe I'll do it anyway. It's not like I have anything to lose.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I thought about doing that, but I wasn't sure how the heat would affect the glue, it being such a short pipe. Maybe I'll do it anyway. It's not like I have anything to lose.

Mine cracked right at the bowl and so far seems ok.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Mine cracked right at the bowl and so far seems ok.
No-go. Seems the damage was more extensive than I thought. I was scraping out the gunk that had been exorcised by the torch, and the back wall of the bowl fell off. Lesson learned. Don't use a torch on your more expensive clays.

I just smoke cigarettes mainly. I enjoy my personal favorite Marlboro cigarettes. I have tried the pipe, piping tobacco, I just can't think ( remember ) the kinds I have tried. But I did enjoy it! I also enjoy dumarier smokes, which is easier to get a hold of here. Smoking natives right now. I have been a member of b&b for almost 2 years. Still learning. I'm here on and off!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ah, that feeling you get when @Price calls you a bad influence on the Artisan Pipe Facebook page, yet he told you about the group, and you have bought 2 pipes in a month from carvers on there. :lol:

Ah, that feeling you get when @Price calls you a bad influence on the Artisan Pipe Facebook page, yet he told you about the group, and you have bought 2 pipes in a month from carvers on there. :lol:
Let the record show that i distinctly told everyone that following Artisan Pipes was "dangerous" - i was trying to warn you all. :whistling:

That is different from "someone" trying to make me spend even more money by tagging me in a comment on a sweet batch of pokers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Let the record show that i distinctly told everyone that following Artisan Pipes was "dangerous" - i was trying to warn you all. :whistling:

That is different from "someone" trying to make me spend even more money by tagging me in a comment on a sweet batch of pokers.
Now who would do such a thing? :lol:

Hi gents (and ladies?).

Considering making up a starter pipe kit for myself (ie as reasonable as possible), on the fence as of yet. Liking the style of the shorter Churchwardens, seems like cob or briar would be the way to go. In browsing online retailers, I see a number of very low cost options such as Meerschaum and HIS.

I realize there are brick and mortar shops, I intend to go to a rather quaint one in Carmel, CA...though it is rather high end judging from price tags on previous visits. I tend to think more rationally and make better decisions when not “in the moment” with a shopkeeper staring at me in the face.

Is there anything the seasoned pipe smoker would know to avoid?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hi gents (and ladies?).

Considering making up a starter pipe kit for myself (ie as reasonable as possible), on the fence as of yet. Liking the style of the shorter Churchwardens, seems like cob or briar would be the way to go. In browsing online retailers, I see a number of very low cost options such as Meerschaum and HIS.

I realize there are brick and mortar shops, I intend to go to a rather quaint one in Carmel, CA...though it is rather high end judging from price tags on previous visits. I tend to think more rationally and make better decisions when not “in the moment” with a shopkeeper staring at me in the face.

Is there anything the seasoned pipe smoker would know to avoid?

I think a good quality Cob is the best option for one to test the waters with. If you like it, then invest a bit more in a Briar if you like, or just stick with the Cob. If you find you don’t like Pipes, you would only be out 20.00 or so.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Neal Monier just posted this on FB. It has a black and white ebonite stem and tiger oak inlay. Yes, I have already PMed him about a future quarter bent version. Dang you @Price

14DE8CA1-C4AB-41EB-809E-71FF8B2BE2C7.png

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I looking gat starting at smoke a pipe again. I stopped after College except for a few wedding cigars.

It’s a nice hobby to be sure. I can’t ever recommend a non-smoker take up the habit, but if you do so on your own accord, I will do my best to ensure your success :).

I loved a pipe since my smelled my Great Uncle smoking one as a boy!
I got a nice pipe collection and plan on doing it on the weekends once my wife passes.

Top Bottom