What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Nothing at all wrong with that practice. Alternatively, you can always spoon out a partially smoked bowl and stuff your excess in mid-smoke. As long as you don’t have too big a layer of ash between the two, it will be fine. And even if you do, that’s what a tamper and spoon are for. I wouldn’t overthink it.

As far as chamber holes, burn throughs, and other irregularities, the traditional practice is to fill them with a paste of water and cigar ash. As long as you don’t later dig the bowl like a strip miner, that usually sets up pretty good as a respectable insulating cake alternative for those areas. But use cigar ash; for whatever reason, other tobacco ashes are not as effective.
Thank you. Never heard of the cigar ash trick. Fortunately the few I have that are burned through are low quality/low price knock around pipes and probably not worth the effort.

Hey there Brown Leafers. Got a PM out of the blue and figured while I was logged in I'd stop by and say hello. Hope everyone on here is doing swell!
I do believe we are. Certainly people here are stocking up their tobacco cellars and buying new and estate pipes, learning how to puff without tongue bite and to pack their pipes without having to relight every 30 seconds, etc.

Howdy stranger!!! Hope life is well and the pipe smoking is pleasant.
All things considered life has been going well. What a nutty coupla years, though, lemme tell you. But we all shared that, and overall I had it fairly easy (already worked from home and stuff.) I was away from piping for a while (smoking cigars instead) but now I'm back at it with a renewed love of the hobby.

Tomorrow marks 2 years since I came back to the pipe! It's been and continues to be an interesting journey. I still prefer longish straight pipes, though my most recent purchases for Xmas included a Zulu and a Vauen pot with a lightly arched stem. Burley blends are still my preference, though I have bought some more Capstan recently. (Haunted Bookshop -- noooo. Latakia, maybe, on a very occasional basis.) And some of the old '80s pipes have been traded away as I realize what I like and what I don't care for.

Top Bottom