What's new

Brown Leaf Member Spotlight: Riff Raff

:a50:Welcome to the fourth instalment of the Brown Leaf Member’s Spotlight :a50:

The Brown Leaf is like a virtual Brick and Mortar tobacconist. The armchairs are tattooed with body prints of the regulars, friendly faces are never too far away and we all have one thing in common; our love of tobacco products and enjoying the stories shared with those that share our passion. This is a chance to get the know those familiar faces and discuss our beloved leaf.

This time we will be sitting down, and having a cuppa with the German connection... Bill aka Riff Raff

Q: First off, thank you for agreeing to this interview Bill

A: Thank you, Till. It is an honor and a pleasure.

Q: Pleasure is all mine. Tell us a bit about yourself Bill.

A: Well, it really isn't an interesting story. Of course that because I am on the inside looking inside! Well, I a just turned 53. I have been married to a wonderful Scottish woman for the last 26 years. We have a son that is a Sheriff's Deputy in South Carolina, and four very spoiled cats.

I grew up in a lot of different places but did my high school years in Prescott, AZ. I spent 11 years in the US Navy and have been around the globe a couple of times. I spent time in the Philippines, Diego Garcia, Norway, Scotland, yadda, yadda, yadda. Mostly sailing all of the waters in between. I was lucky enough to spend some time on the HMS Bristol and HMS Euryalus. For all the sailors out there, I am both a Shellback and a Bluenose.

Currently I am a Senior Computer Systems Engineer working for a consulting solutions provider out of Charlotte, NC. I have been in Germany for the last 14 months working with the US Army at the HQ US European Command. I forgot to add that along with my pipe smoking hobby, I also dabble in playing the guitar. Very terribly I might add.

Q: Quite an interesting past then, care to share a picture of your spoiled cats?

$IMG_2027.jpg$IMG_2030.jpg$IMG_2031.jpg$IMG_2032.jpg

Q: Very cute, the last one appears to be my spirit animal
:laugh: So lets get down to the nitty gritty, what made you decide to pick up a pipe?

A: I was an avid cigar smoker for many many years. On a particular cigar forum (...cough, Cigar Asylum....cough), we had a Secret Santa. I mentioned that I was interested in smoking a pipe. My Secret Santa sent me two basket pipes and a bunch of samples of pipe tobacco. Among the samples was Escudo. Well, needless to say I was hooked. That was in 2009.

The best thing about smoking a pipe is for the same amount as a high end cigar which only gives you one smoke, you can have 15 to 20 for the same price. Plus the complexity of the tobacco is much more pronounced in pipe tobacco, in my opinion.

Q: I am sure many will agree with the price sentiment, I am sure the cigar lovers among us will consider the last part fighting words
:lol:
Do you have any pictures of your collection you’d like to share with us?

$100_3505.jpg

Q: Very nicely displayed, and quite a decent collection as well. So out of all that, was is your favourite pipe, and blend?

A: Well, I still enjoy a good cigar. In fact I have some lovely Montecristo Edmundo's from 2012 in my humidor. One of the joys of living in Europe, aside from the obvious, is that Cuban cigars are plentiful.

As for the pipe tobacco, that is a difficult question. I am a bit of an eclectic when it comes to pipe tobacco. I love a good VaPer, and absolutely love some aged Escudo. Gaslight in a cob is absolutely divine. At Micah's (Hirsute) suggestion, Pembroke in my B&B LE Morta is a match made in Heaven. But I have to say my all time favorite has to be McCranie's Red Ribbon. I have two tins that have over 8 years on them. I am just waiting for the right moment to crack one open. That might be next March when my son gets married.

As for the favorite pipe, that too is difficult. I have favorite for different reasons. I just got my first Dunhill, a bent bulldog, that smokes like a dream. When I left South Carolina to come over here, my co-workers got me as a going away present a lovely Boswell unique. It is a massive pipe. That is my Stonehaven pipe. Funny enough, one of the best smoking pipes I have is an old pipe that was gifted to me from my Secret Santa. It is an old basket pipe that has been over reamed, beat up, and a plain Jane billiard. It is a Bob White billiard and is my favorite latakia blend pipe. Plus the B&B BL LE pipes are all fantastic smokers. I can't wait to get this year's rendition.

I can't choose! It's too difficult

Q: We all know about the issues of choosing our favourite blend. You certainly have some tough contenders for best pipe. On the note of living in Europe, I remember you having a thread about Germany, care to elaborate some more? Maybe share pictures of your favourite pipe shop?

A: I have two favorite pipe shops in the Stuttgart area. One is called Tabacum. It is an official Casa del Habanos store as well. There is a whole room full of pipes and tobaccos. They also have some custom blends made by Kohlhase & Kopp. The second one is called Pfeifen Archiv (Pipe Museum). They have a tremendous variety of pipes, but a small stock of tobacco. Most of the Germans prefer aromatics as in the US. So there is a larger selection of aromatics that non.

Sadly, when I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 last year, my hard drive crashed in the middle of it. I have years of photos that are as of yet unrecoverable, including pictures of both of these places. I need to take more pictures and post them.

I have been really bad about not updating my thread (FOUND HERE) about pipe smoking in Germany. I will revive it soon. I did talk with James Gilliam of JSEC Pipes. He works here in Germany. In fact he and I have quite similar backgrounds. I think he is moving back to the US soon if he hasn't already.

Q: Bill, thank you so much for doing this interview. It’s been an absolute pleasure.

A: Till, the pleasure has all been mine. It was fun. I appreciate what you and Price have done for the Brown Leaf as Stewards. You guys do a fantastic job and don't get nearly enough credit. I love being part of a community that is as tight knit as we are. The comradery is fantastic and the willingness to help each other out with advice, knowledge, or even the sending of a sample or two. It is an awesome place.

Last edited:
:pipe::pipe::pipe::pipe::pipe:

Bravo! Well done, gents. Till, thanks for all the effort to bring this feature back; and Bill, thanks for taking the time to do the interview.

It was a blast to do. I used to be involved in a bunch of different forums. Now it's just B&B and more specifically The Brown Leaf. That should tell you how much I love this place! Remember, it is the members that make the place. The place doesn't make the members.

Top Bottom