What's new

Brown Leaf Discussion for January: favorite aspects of your brown leaf hobby

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
For this month's discussion, I thought we would talk about our favorite aspects of our brown leaf usage/hobby. What things do you like? Is it the wide variety of tobacco available? Is it the accumulation of paraphenalia? Is it wondering into an antique or thrift store and finding a hidden gem like a pipe that needs restored or a nice pipe rack? Maybe it is just the reward of sitting down for a bit and relaxing with a nice bowl or stick. Maybe it is multiple things that you enjoy. So, what do you all say? Tell us the thing, or things, that you really enjoy about the world of fine tobacco.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There are many things I love about pipes. I like the wide variety of tobacco that is available, though I tend to lean toward Latakia blends (read "Im a Latakia junkie). I love to wander into a nice B&M store and peruse the wares, including cigars. There is something wonderful about the smell of a tobacco store. I recently went to an antique store and scored a sweet 8 pipe rack. It it build around a pipe tobacco humidor, with the upper part of the rack looking like the wheel on a sailing ship. I also scored a radiator pipe, so I am about to enter the world of restoration. I forgot the brand, but will find out later. My favorite thing, though, is sitting down with a book and a good bowl. To me, pipes and books go hand in hand. There is probably more, but this will do for now.

on edit: adding a pic

Attachments

• $rack.jpg
    $rack.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
I love everything about pipe and cigar smoking, the literature, the collecting, the smells of the many different blends, the people, etc. But sitting here, after a hard day of work and spending time with my wife and children, and sipping on my favorite pipe and my favorite tobacco is the best way to unwind, and my favorite thing about our hobby.

I love everything about pipe and cigar smoking, the literature, the collecting, the smells of the many different blends, the people, etc. But sitting here, after a hard day of work and spending time with my wife and children, and sipping on my favorite pipe and my favorite tobacco is the best way to unwind, and my favorite thing about our hobby.

this is exactly my sentiment too...love the lit, collecting, smells, and meeting and talking with people about smokes. But most of all the slowing down and unwinding of it all.

There are so many things that I love about world of tobacco. Obviously I love the leaf itself. Pipes, snus, and occasionally snuff being my chosen varieties. I love experiencing the different nuances and attributes of each. I also really enjoy the quality of the niche segments of tobacco over the mass market cigarettes and dip. Very much like comparing Budweiser to micro brews.

The paraphernalia is also a big draw for me. For pipes, this is a huge part of it. Pipes themselves and lighters especially.

I find that I really enjoy the ritual of it as well. Be it loading, lighting, and then sitting and enjoying a pipe, or taking a minute to load my Icetool and make a prilla of snus, then putting it under my lip and going on about my day as the flavor develops and I feel the wonderful nicotine release.

The comradery of the brown leaf is hard to beat as well. Tobacco shops are always such friendly and easy places to walk into as a stranger. And once you've gone in once, it's a pretty safe bet that you'll be remembered the next time that you walk in. And of course, The Brown Leaf here on B&B is a perfect example of this. I joined B&B for the razors, but I've stuck around because of the BL!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There are so many things that I love about world of tobacco. Obviously I love the leaf itself. Pipes, snus, and occasionally snuff being my chosen varieties. I love experiencing the different nuances and attributes of each. I also really enjoy the quality of the niche segments of tobacco over the mass market cigarettes and dip. Very much like comparing Budweiser to micro brews.

The paraphernalia is also a big draw for me. For pipes, this is a huge part of it. Pipes themselves and lighters especially.

I find that I really enjoy the ritual of it as well. Be it loading, lighting, and then sitting and enjoying a pipe, or taking a minute to load my Icetool and make a prilla of snus, then putting it under my lip and going on about my day as the flavor develops and I feel the wonderful nicotine release.

The comradery of the brown leaf is hard to beat as well. Tobacco shops are always such friendly and easy places to walk into as a stranger. And once you've gone in once, it's a pretty safe bet that you'll be remembered the next time that you walk in. And of course, The Brown Leaf here on B&B is a perfect example of this. I joined B&B for the razors, but I've stuck around because of the BL!

Yes, the ritual is a big part of it. Prepping a pipe is kind of like prepping for a shave- making the proper steps to ensure an enjoyable experience. With shaving or smoking you can do it fast (cigs and cartridges and can foam) or you can do it right. As to loose snus, I may explore that in the future. What would you recommend?

Yes, the ritual is a big part of it. Prepping a pipe is kind of like prepping for a shave- making the proper steps to ensure an enjoyable experience. With shaving or smoking you can do it fast (cigs and cartridges and can foam) or you can do it right. As to loose snus, I may explore that in the future. What would you recommend?

I just got into loose and have only tried General Loose, but I really like it. It's harder to find than General portions, but the cigar shop by my office that carries General has it.

I love the collecting of pipes, and the relaxing enjoyment of taking my time and just sipping on them while doing whatever else I feel like doing.

I'm also big on the ritual part of it, which is another big draw to the wet shaving for me. It also engages most of the senses at one point or another... which takes it to another level of enjoyment.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Nostalgia brought me into the world of pipe smoking. My father died a few years ago, and although he hadn't smoked for many years, he still had his pipes. Those came to me and I recognized a few as gifts I had given him as a child and so his pipe collection reminded me of happier times. I have always appreciated the "cool factor" of pipe smoking and take note of characters in movies and TV who smoke pipes. As with most new hobbies, I tend to go overboard a bit with the collection part. I love the ritual as well, the relaxation and the sampling of new tobaccos as I explore this new hobby. I hope to enjoy it for many years to come.

My brown leaf enjoyment is limited to cigars, but the almost infinite variety that can be found within that world is one of my favorite aspects. Each time I take the time to slow down and enjoy a fine, hand-rolled cigar, I contemplate what it took to bring such complexity and simpleness into my world. People with vast experience were required at each step: choosing seeds, growing and tending the plants, harvesting the leaves, aging and otherwise handling the harvest, creating the desired blend of leaves (sometimes from different countries or even different patches of one farm), and rolling an attractive product. Each brand and each line within each brand tastes different; even different shapes (sizes) within each line can differ greatly. In a world where most products made by hand with such attention to detail are way beyond my means, I truly appreciate each stick.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My brown leaf enjoyment is limited to cigars, but the almost infinite variety that can be found within that world is one of my favorite aspects. Each time I take the time to slow down and enjoy a fine, hand-rolled cigar, I contemplate what it took to bring such complexity and simpleness into my world. People with vast experience were required at each step: choosing seeds, growing and tending the plants, harvesting the leaves, aging and otherwise handling the harvest, creating the desired blend of leaves (sometimes from different countries or even different patches of one farm), and rolling an attractive product. Each brand and each line within each brand tastes different; even different shapes (sizes) within each line can differ greatly. In a world where most products made by hand with such attention to detail are way beyond my means, I truly appreciate each stick.
A lot of hard work, craftsmanship, and love goes into our enjoyment.

I had to take some time to ruminate on this question. I have been a cigar smoker for well over 30 years and began pipe smoking after finding B&B back in 2011. Over the years I have had to respond to the oft repeated question’ “why are you smoking those things? Don’t you know they are bad for you?”

My responses have softened and moderated over the years, now I am more likely to answer with “because I enjoy it” or “everything in moderation, including moderation”. Because when it comes right down to it; I just really enjoy smoking tobacco.

I like that I get to involve almost all my senses; the sight of the perfectly rolled cigar or the graceful curve of a quarter bent pipe. I like the feel of a cigar yielding to the pressure of my jaw, then its springing back, and I like tactile sensation of a warm pipe bowl in my hand. The rich perfume of my humidor or a smoky jar of pipe tobacco is like an appetizer before a freshly lit cigar or pipe – and I really love the billowy clouds of smoke.

I like the tastes of the different tobaccos, how they vary from delivery method and age. I have aged cigars that I counterpoint against recent purchases – and though they are almost like two different products, I enjoy them both equally. I buy pipes because I find them visually interesting and I have been fortunate to like almost every pipe that I have acquired. The pipe tobacco only has a slightly lower average, but at the moment the price of tins or ounces of bulk means that there is limited financial risk.

Finally, when I am smoking it means that I am “off duty”. I am regulated to “outdoor only” smoking, without benefit of shelter, so the weather is a major factor in how often I get to enjoy a smoke. The times where the weather cooperates and I have no immediate obligations to my wife, kids or parents are limited, so those are really carpe diem moments.

I had to take some time to ruminate on this question. I have been a cigar smoker for well over 30 years and began pipe smoking after finding B&B back in 2011. Over the years I have had to respond to the oft repeated question’ “why are you smoking those things? Don’t you know they are bad for you?”

My responses have softened and moderated over the years, now I am more likely to answer with “because I enjoy it” or “everything in moderation, including moderation”. Because when it comes right down to it; I just really enjoy smoking tobacco.

I like that I get to involve almost all my senses; the sight of the perfectly rolled cigar or the graceful curve of a quarter bent pipe. I like the feel of a cigar yielding to the pressure of my jaw, then its springing back, and I like tactile sensation of a warm pipe bowl in my hand. The rich perfume of my humidor or a smoky jar of pipe tobacco is like an appetizer before a freshly lit cigar or pipe – and I really love the billowy clouds of smoke.

I like the tastes of the different tobaccos, how they vary from delivery method and age. I have aged cigars that I counterpoint against recent purchases – and though they are almost like two different products, I enjoy them both equally. I buy pipes because I find them visually interesting and I have been fortunate to like almost every pipe that I have acquired. The pipe tobacco only has a slightly lower average, but at the moment the price of tins or ounces of bulk means that there is limited financial risk.

Finally, when I am smoking it means that I am “off duty”. I am regulated to “outdoor only” smoking, without benefit of shelter, so the weather is a major factor in how often I get to enjoy a smoke. The times where the weather cooperates and I have no immediate obligations to my wife, kids or parents are limited, so those are really carpe diem moments.

What he said, except I can smoke in my home office. :thumbup1:

I love the relaxation aspect. To me, it is like meditating. I'm able to take my mind off all the stress and real world problems of the day and focus on what matters at the moment: a tin/jar of 'baccy, a pipe, a Czech tool and a lighter (or alternately a cigar, a punch and a lighter). And if a beer or two fingers of brown liquor are involved...even better. I turn on the Sirius radio, take a seat and let my cares drift away in a sea of music and smoke. The only conscious thoughts I want to have must involve the song that is currently on and the particular nuances of the 'baccy or cigar I currently have in hand.

I can not pick just one aspect I enjoy most of my pipe smoking. So let's start from the beginning, the pipes themselves. If it is one I was given from my dads collection, one given to me from a forum member (different forum mind you, I've read the rules here), one found an antique store (although I have still yet to find one at a price that is reasonable so I always have to pass on them), or a gift given to me from family, I always start with a good cleaning. If you pipe smokers do not have a retort kit GET ONE!! You will be shocked at the level of gunk you have had in your pipe that you thought you have removed. Another part of the cleaning is the stem of course, an over night soak in some oxy clean will bring all the oxidation from years of smoking to the surface to be removed (I won't get into that part here)

So now you have a nice clean pipe dried out for a couple days and what type of tobacco goes in? Myself, I love Latakia!!! So either a lat heavy blend or my all time favorite LBF (luxury bullseye flake). I love the skill that involves proper dry time, proper packing technique weather it's gravity packing, fold and stuff, if you cube cut a flake or rubbed it out all those factors come into play and have to be considered. Even the type of pipe you are using matters, some only like fold and stuff, some only like ribbon cut tobacco, some LOVE flakes. There is such a huge variety of tobacco there is too much to try in a life time.

Now the enjoyment of smoking the pipe, the relaxation of it. Weather your at home taking your time puffin on your favorite briar or at work on a break puffin on your cob trying to escape the crap going on inside. Side note: I usually take only cobs to work because if something happens to it it's not that big of a deal to me. Not saying I don't smoke cobs at home because come on, cobs freaking rock!! They will always have a spot in my rotation. Ok back to it, you have your Newley cleaned or well broken in pipe and for me I flick open my zippo and hear that sound I love and then set the flame to the tobacco and am in heaven. Even the tools as in your tamper add to the enjoyment, mine is my dads I dug out of a knife collection of his so that adds even more to the memories I have of him. It's nothing special but it was his.

Then comes the proper care as in cleaning out the ash, running your pipe cleaner through and then sitting it back down with the others in your pipe rack. For me, that's not the end.... I admire my pipes even while they are not smoked, pick them up and hold them, maybe even shuffle them around in the pipe rack to get a new look at the pipes that I haven't seen in a while. I'm weirded, maybe... But I do what I do :001_tt2:

Thats all all that I have to say about that, till next time. I hope this made sense and does not have too many errors throughout. Happy lunting!!'

I love well designed things whether they be cars, pipes, razors, etc.

The pipe is one of the most aesthetically pleasing pieces of craftsmanship that I've seen. I love looking at them. I love that they are organic, and that each one is different. Each has a unique, personal quality to it. I love that the hobby is supported by both big house producers and the one-garage shop artisans.
And then the smoking itself. It starts with smelling the tobacco. I've been aging tobacco in mason jars for years, and every time I open one up and that smell hits me (especially aromatics)...man o man, what a treat. I love the preparation involved, the delicate art of preparing the tobacco (especially aromatics), packing the tobacco, and lighting the tobacco. I love that you must proceed slowly. I love how pipe tobacco is almost always unoffensive to nonsmokers. Cigarettes and cigars are often reviled in this regard, and although I don't smoke for the sake of other people, its pleasant aroma is only a boon to the hobby.

Although I enjoy chewing and sniffing tobaccos as well, the pipe affords me the opportunity to focus on one thing...smoking a pipe. I grab a whisky, my iPod, and my pipe. For just a little while, nothing else matters but the moment and its luxuries.

Nicotine. Sure I like all the ephemera as well as the fantastic variety and quality, but what keeps me smoking my pipe is definitely Lady N.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I can not pick just one aspect I enjoy most of my pipe smoking. So let's start from the beginning, the pipes themselves. If it is one I was given from my dads collection, one given to me from a forum member (different forum mind you, I've read the rules here), one found an antique store (although I have still yet to find one at a price that is reasonable so I always have to pass on them), or a gift given to me from family, I always start with a good cleaning. If you pipe smokers do not have a retort kit GET ONE!! You will be shocked at the level of gunk you have had in your pipe that you thought you have removed. Another part of the cleaning is the stem of course, an over night soak in some oxy clean will bring all the oxidation from years of smoking to the surface to be removed (I won't get into that part here)

So now you have a nice clean pipe dried out for a couple days and what type of tobacco goes in? Myself, I love Latakia!!! So either a lat heavy blend or my all time favorite LBF (luxury bullseye flake). I love the skill that involves proper dry time, proper packing technique weather it's gravity packing, fold and stuff, if you cube cut a flake or rubbed it out all those factors come into play and have to be considered. Even the type of pipe you are using matters, some only like fold and stuff, some only like ribbon cut tobacco, some LOVE flakes. There is such a huge variety of tobacco there is too much to try in a life time.

Now the enjoyment of smoking the pipe, the relaxation of it. Weather your at home taking your time puffin on your favorite briar or at work on a break puffin on your cob trying to escape the crap going on inside. Side note: I usually take only cobs to work because if something happens to it it's not that big of a deal to me. Not saying I don't smoke cobs at home because come on, cobs freaking rock!! They will always have a spot in my rotation. Ok back to it, you have your Newley cleaned or well broken in pipe and for me I flick open my zippo and hear that sound I love and then set the flame to the tobacco and am in heaven. Even the tools as in your tamper add to the enjoyment, mine is my dads I dug out of a knife collection of his so that adds even more to the memories I have of him. It's nothing special but it was his.

Then comes the proper care as in cleaning out the ash, running your pipe cleaner through and then sitting it back down with the others in your pipe rack. For me, that's not the end.... I admire my pipes even while they are not smoked, pick them up and hold them, maybe even shuffle them around in the pipe rack to get a new look at the pipes that I haven't seen in a while. I'm weirded, maybe... But I do what I do :001_tt2:

Thats all all that I have to say about that, till next time. I hope this made sense and does not have too many errors throughout. Happy lunting!!'
Pipe trades/PIFs are legal here. If you go to the Contribute tab you can buy a Brown Leaf badge, which will allow you to get into the Stock Exchange where tobacco can be traded. You must be 21. Welcome aboard, fellow Latakia hound.

I really enjoy my nasal snuff. It has become an obsession as soon as I found Mr snuff. I love smoking my pipe especially when I am out for a hike in the woods and stop somewhere beautiful just to stop take in the scenery and enjoy a bowl or sitting around the fire.

I've come to realize now that I am just a fan of the Leaf in all it's usable forms. I've done the dip/chewing, and enjoyed that. Cigs... well.. they are pretty much at the bottom of the list, but yeah, I enjoyed them in their time and place. Hookahs are nice with friends, and good old fashioned pipes are now a part of my daily routine. Now I've even added snuff to the list, having tried it for the first time a couple nights ago, and enjoying that, as well.

I guess I'm just wired to love the leaf! :001_tt1:

Top Bottom