What's new

Brown Leaf Discussion for January: favorite aspects of your brown leaf hobby

What about a Feb discussion of "what makes you feel like lighting up a bowl?".

Every time I finish a surf, have showered, am chilling and contemplating the waves and the good times a bowl of the frog or some other slice of heaven finishes the surf off perfectly for me. Contemplation on the moments on the waves and the good times.
Surfing (& swimming) both give me the itch. :)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Nomenclature...

Can someone explain "cabbage"? I've heard and seen it used in that context enough that I shouldn't be unsure, but I only have a vague idea that it's a form of taking without permission (it means stealing).

I have observed an extremely strong correlation whereby children of parents who smoke grow up to smoke what their parents smoke. It is much stronger than for most other behaviors. Almost all cigarette smokers I know have parents who smoke cigarettes; and almost all cigarette-smoking parents I know have children who take up cigarettes. The same goes for cigars and marijuana. I have insufficient data for pipe smoking, but if the trend continues then I am bucking it by taking up pipe smoking, which my dad has never done.

To people of parenting age I'd say if you want your children to not smoke cigarettes then your best bet is to quit and be completely off of them before your children are conceived and never give cigarettes the time of day after that...don't bum one when you're out with your buddies, don't sneak off for one, don't reminisce about them, etc. Neither should you become an anti-smoking zealot or an ex-smoker in the way that an AA member is an ex-drinker (think rebellious teenagers). Casual dismissal/lack of regard for cigarettes is probably just right. If the correlation is because of a learned behavior then that's your best hope.

If the correlation is simply because of a genetic susceptibility to cigarette enjoyment/addiction then there's probably nothing you can do...when I was a teen, like every other teen I tried cigarettes but I just couldn't figure out why anyone would keep trying.
Captain:
proxy.php
...and you're 'right on' in your assessment but as far as health wise issues not with standing, (which we cigars smokers don't / should not inhale vs. cigarette smokers [of which I am one too...only 3-4 per day], who do), you know that Sir Winston Churchill lived until he was 90yrs, George Burns ("If I'd taken my doctor's advice and quit smoking when he advised me to, I wouldn't have lived to go to his funeral”.), died at a ripe old age of 100yrs, Groucho Marx lived until he was 87 and Milton Berle live his life until he was 93.
proxy.php

All of these men enjoyed and only smoked cigars right to the end of their long lives. :thumbsup:
proxy.php
​“To Smoke is Human; To Smoke Cigars is Divine”. Anonymous

Last edited:
A nice thing about cigars and pipes: While some people do inhale (perhaps cigarette smokers), it's not a necessary part of the experience. Most cigarette smokers don't do it for the flavor, but that's the exact reason to smoke cigars and pipes.

I'm not too worried about the health issue. I have a great grandfather who lived to a very ripe old age chain-smoking multiple packs of unfiltered Camels daily; of course that doesn't translate to the heavily treated cigarettes of today, but I have no interest in cigarettes anyway. I figure if I'm making my life at all shorter, I'm still living more anyway.

A nice thing about cigars and pipes: While some people do inhale (perhaps cigarette smokers), it's not a necessary part of the experience. Most cigarette smokers don't do it for the flavor, but that's the exact reason to smoke cigars and pipes.

Interesting note on that... during my transition to ecigs, a friend had a pack of like Camel Royal Blues, and I tried one. The first few puffs, I actually smoked it like it was a pipe... sipping it, not inhaling, etc., and it actually had a really nice tobacco flavor to it. Sweet VA and Turkish, it seemed like to me. I then didn't even think and inhaled the next puff, and I actually couldn't taste it at all when I did. Another pipe like sip, and again I could taste it. It seems that inhaling the smoke dulls/kills the taste, at least for me.

Top Bottom