What's new

Brown Leaf acquisitions - Sept 2022

...and one more pic of the two racks I found at local antique shops. I think the one on the left was $10, the other was $6. Cleaned and shined with a bit of orange oil.

20221001_093552.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Interesting, indeed. I have C&D Speakeasy, Bijou, and Opening Night in my cellar, but have not tried any of them. So, couldn't speak in comparison to McClelland. Right around the time that C&D Carolina Red Flake was coming out, was when I was transitioning from pipes into cigars. Needless to say, I haven't tried any of the C&D Carolina Red Flake offerings either. I'm pretty sure both @Price and @Kentos have some experience on the matter though.

Surprisingly, I found quite a bit of delicious tanginess in the five year old bulk SG St. James Flake that I smoked a few nights ago. Probably from the perique, but it's tang and sweetness reminded me of McClelland. I might have to compare back to back with some bulk McClelland though.

Carolina Red Flake is similar, but there is just something about a McClelland Red Va that so far hasn’t been duplicated. I suspect it is a topping that is added, as it reminds me a little of anise. It’s a good enough substitute though.
Thanks. The lids on the Comoy's Tins actually can be spun around by hand.
Weird. I'm going to jar or Mylar bag those two. Probably Mylar.
image.jpg

Dunno how much longer this will last lol.

I have a soft spot for the vinegary tanginess of McC red VAs, of which Dark Star is definitely not one, but it is an unusually sweet VA - noticeably sweeter than any other I have tried. And of course, like everything McC, it is an ever-appreciating unobtanium. So, when the opportunity presented itself, I was very willing to part with a couple ounces of "practically unobtanium" (Penzance) to secure it.
Dark Star for some Penzance? Id have that Penzance in the mail so quickly...

C&D Red Flake and with Perique are solid. I will agree with Kentos, there isnt a replacement for McC's Virginias. I have filled the gap with SG FVF, BBF and St James Flake. They taste nothing like McCs but are just solid VAs.

I need to remember to ask what a blend similar to McCs Bombay would be.

Interesting, indeed. I have C&D Speakeasy, Bijou, and Opening Night in my cellar, but have not tried any of them. So, couldn't speak in comparison to McClelland. Right around the time that C&D Carolina Red Flake was coming out, was when I was transitioning from pipes into cigars. Needless to say, I haven't tried any of the C&D Carolina Red Flake offerings either. I'm pretty sure both @Price and @Kentos have some experience on the matter though.

Surprisingly, I found quite a bit of delicious tanginess in the five year old bulk SG St. James Flake that I smoked a few nights ago. Probably from the perique, but it's tang and sweetness reminded me of McClelland. I might have to compare back to back with some bulk McClelland though.
I enjoy Sunday Picnic a lot. I have not tried or have any opening evening. I have Bijou but I have not opened any. Speakeasy is tasty. I think it had three years of age when i cracked it open. The rest of my tins of it are at least 6? Years aged now. Same with most of my cellar.

Top Bottom