What's new

Brown Leaf acquisitions - Sept 2022

Ordered a pouch of Half & Half, 1 of Sir Walter Aromatic, and took a chance on some Captain Black Original -- which I may never have tried. Or maybe it was what I first smoked in a Dr. Grabow back in 1984. The blend of Virginias, burley, and black Cavendish sounded great.
The tracking no. says the package should be delivered today -- which might really mean I'll get my hands on it tomorrow. That means some Captain Black to try on Saturday morning!

Picked these up today to try out...

20220929_164009.jpg
20220929_164025.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
From what I understand, McClelland was just something special. With that being said, there are plenty of other great tobaccos out there as well.

Some have tried but none have succeeded.

Interesting article at SP about what, while NOT a match attempt, might scratch that McClelland itch.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Interesting article at SP about what, while NOT a match attempt, might scratch that McClelland itch.

Interesting, indeed. I have C&D Speakeasy, Bijou, and Opening Night in my cellar, but have not tried any of them. So, couldn't speak in comparison to McClelland. Right around the time that C&D Carolina Red Flake was coming out, was when I was transitioning from pipes into cigars. Needless to say, I haven't tried any of the C&D Carolina Red Flake offerings either. I'm pretty sure both @Price and @Kentos have some experience on the matter though.

Surprisingly, I found quite a bit of delicious tanginess in the five year old bulk SG St. James Flake that I smoked a few nights ago. Probably from the perique, but it's tang and sweetness reminded me of McClelland. I might have to compare back to back with some bulk McClelland though.

Nice! Is Dark Star one of your preferred McClelland VAs, or just an opportunity you decided to pounce on?

I have a soft spot for the vinegary tanginess of McC red VAs, of which Dark Star is definitely not one, but it is an unusually sweet VA - noticeably sweeter than any other I have tried. And of course, like everything McC, it is an ever-appreciating unobtanium. So, when the opportunity presented itself, I was very willing to part with a couple ounces of "practically unobtanium" (Penzance) to secure it.

I bought candy:

Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream
Cult Blood Red Moon
Cobblestone Indulge Walnut and Maple (a bit redundant with Autumn Evening, but I wanted to compare the two)

Three new budget pipes:

Chacom Smooth Matte Poker (with free pipe loop and Czech tool)
Rossi Notte 8321 Author
Rossi Serra 8122 bent Pot

...and two more pocket jars, one for me and the other for my wife to carry her "medicine". Of course she didn't like the two-piece lid, so I had to epoxy the lid to the ring. It's always something. 😄

[no pic]

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I bought candy:

Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream
Cult Blood Red Moon
Cobblestone Indulge Walnut and Maple (a bit redundant with Autumn Evening, but I wanted to compare the two)

Three new budget pipes:

Chacom Smooth Matte Poker (with free pipe loop and Czech tool)
Rossi Notte 8321 Author
Rossi Serra 8122 bent Pot

...and two more pocket jars, one for me and the other for my wife to carry her "medicine". Of course she didn't like the two-piece lid, so I had to epoxy the lid to the ring. It's always something. 😄

[no pic]
I 3D printed some of those pocket jars with a one piece lid and a pipe design on the lid.
They are very handy.
If you want me to make a personalized one for your Mrs, let me know!

Top Bottom