What's new

Brown Leaf acquisitions - Nov 2022

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I received the Vincent Manil "Les Bouchons", and was surprised at both how small the box is, and how large each individual Bouchon is.
The box is small, 9.25" x 2.5" x 1.25" but each piece is about 2 inches tall and about 1 inch wide at the thickest portion of the cone.

20221103_045802.jpg

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Got my SPC order today. I wasn't expecting it until tomorrow, so I didn't even bother checking the mail. I found it on the porch when I took the dogs out.

They got me again with their Peterson holiday promotion. Free special edition tobacco with the purchase of a Peterson pipe. Just an excuse to buy more Petes. Newgrange Spigot XL02 and System Standard 313.

IMG_20221104_141825507.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Couple of Antique Store finds today.
A really nice blasted Georg Jensen with some pretty bad cake build up. A very nice looking pipe though. Doesn't appear to be a factory pipe as it is not numbered or named as to model.
20221108_124706.jpg

Also a very nice Hjerte-Briar (Heart Briar) Denmark stamped Kobenhavn instead of Copenhagen, indicating it was not intended for export.
Beautiful grain, with a matching stand and pipe tamper. Very lightly if at all smoked but has obviously been sitting a long time and has been handled and looked at. Dust in every crack and crevice. I think it will clean up beautifully.

20221108_130535.jpg

20221108_124905.jpg

20221108_124921.jpg

20221108_124954.jpg

Your first cob? Oh, man... Everybody needs at least one cob. Better late than never I guess. ;) Congrats!
I've been putting it off. The mental images of "codger farmer in his overalls on the back porch, smoking a corncob" vs. "lawyer/doctor/professor/author in his study smoking a briar" -- I'd like to envision myself the latter rather than the former. Since hardly anyone ever sees me puffing, though, I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Here's hoping I like LNF. Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake is a good one, and the nic-hit and perique of LNF are supposed to be fairly light, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Last edited:
[Snipped a beautiful Peterson]

I also splurged (well, sorta) on my first cob, a Country Gentleman, and an ounce of PS Luxury Navy Flake.
I wouldn't call one ounce of LNF a splurge. Cobs definitely aren't a splurge because they don't count. You'll like the Country Gent for all those times you're not playing country lawyer at your desk. I'm not sure where you stand on filters, or if the CG even has them. But without a filter it'll feel like you're smoking through a shotgun barrel with how wide open it is. That's either a good or bad thing.

I wouldn't call one ounce of LNF a splurge. Cobs definitely aren't a splurge because they don't count. You'll like the Country Gent for all those times you're not playing country lawyer at your desk. I'm not sure where you stand on filters, or if the CG even has them. But without a filter it'll feel like you're smoking through a shotgun barrel with how wide open it is. That's either a good or bad thing.
The MM hardwood I bought last year definitely has a subway tunnel for a smoke/air passage. No, I've never done much with filters; I might have one left over from the small Savinelli I picked up last year. If I can find it and it fits, I'll try it.

Considering how close I am with my nickels, and that I'm hoping to move at last to a better apartment this year or in the late winter, yeah, the MM and the leaf are a little splurge. I was going to wait until early December to treat myself for Xmas; but decided this am not to put it off. (My eye is on a horn-stemmed Ropp for that. . . .)

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Decided to do a couple cob mod projects for the holidays. Ordered two all natural cobs but didn’t get what I had ordered. Long story short, called in MM and got everything sorted out. I have 2 more cobs inbound. That being said, let the mods begin!😃

DBF0B300-D534-4D95-BF7A-612B9DB1AB1F.jpeg

Top Bottom