What's new

Brown Leaf Acquisitions - July 2022

Got the peterson tankard today and while it does need work it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Should clean up nicely 👍

20220707_181011.jpg
20220707_180926.jpg
20220707_180958.jpg

Also grabbed this neat zippo from the store today!

20220707_171624.jpg

I might go support my local tobacconist and pick up a tin of Mac Baren Golden Extra tomorrow. Might. I don't know how much they want for it. They sell Capstan Blue for $26 a tin, for instance, whereas SP has it for $17.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I might go support my local tobacconist and pick up a tin of Mac Baren Golden Extra tomorrow. Might. I don't know how much they want for it. They sell Capstan Blue for $26 a tin, for instance, whereas SP has it for $17.
I always expect a higher price at Brick and Mortar. Rent etc.
It's the price one has to pay to be able to see something in hand.

Blue Room Briars comes through yet again with swift delivery. I ordered the Keyser billiard on Wednesday, and it's here at my mail room already. A colleague of mine has picked it up, so I hope I'll have it in my sticky little hands by the time I leave!

ETA: And it hath arrived: a solid and long-shanked billiard, though not in Canadian territory. I'm waiting the 20 minutes or so they recommend for the pipe to adjust to room temp before assembling it, but it looks and feels great. I've already packed a pipe for tonight's smoke at home. Perhaps I'll set it aside and go with this one . . .

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
A young male relative (they're all younger now) has been completely hooked on cigarettes, and is apparently an increasingly heavy smoker. Costly, in more ways than one.

So I took advantage of all my various SP VIP badges, medals and awards ...

Medals.jpg

... leveraged their Independence Day sale for further savings ... and cobbled together a nice pipe starter package for him as a gift, for not a lot of money.

Hopefully, it nudges him into our more gentlemanly ways.

Oh, sure; 10, maybe 15% markup is understandable . . . but 35-50% is a bit much.
How much of it is tax? Not all markup is necessarily profit.

Here in Montana the state government absolutely hammers us on tobacco "sin" tax. Brick and mortars roll it into the purchase price. Most online dealers leave it up to the consumer to report the purchase to the state.

Of course, I always report my tobacco purchases like a good boy. (Did you hear that Mr. Internet Surveillance Agent? I said I always report my purchases.)

How much of it is tax? Not all markup is necessarily profit.

Here in Montana the state government absolutely hammers us on tobacco "sin" tax. Brick and mortars roll it into the purchase price. Most online dealers leave it up to the consumer to report the purchase to the state.

Of course, I always report my tobacco purchases like a good boy. (Did you hear that Mr. Internet Surveillance Agent? I said I always report my purchases.)
True, everyday sales tax in this pesthole is about 9%. No idea what the govt. adds onto that specifically for tobacco sales.

My eBay score, estate Konstantinos Anastasopoulos (2017 GKCPC), just arrived. It looks better than expected. The stem and mortise/tenon setup are new to me. Is it setup for a large filter? Or, is it more about managing moisture, cooling the smoke, and/or lightening the pipe?
DD860C8A-0565-4A68-A24A-CB2AB6C9D889.jpeg
0EE2C28E-9E4A-44C5-B182-54CD1233EF1A.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My eBay score, estate Konstantinos Anastasopoulos (2017 GKCPC), just arrived. It looks better than expected. The stem and mortise/tenon setup are new to me. Is it setup for a large filter? Or, is it more about managing moisture, cooling the smoke, and/or lightening the pipe?
View attachment 1485445View attachment 1485446
It's a reverse calabash. Yep, it's about moisture management and cooling.

Haunted Bookshop. I did not like it; tossed it. I don't have any problem with burley centric blends, but this one just didn't do it for me.
I like that stuff. Very earthy and smokey. It can get kinda ashy at times. The old joe kranz is even more intense with a nice helping of perique.

I want to order some Salty Dogs and other Dan Tobacco, but SP doesn't have what I want in stock. I found what I'm looking for at 4Noggins, but I've never done business with them. Are they legit?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I want to order some Salty Dogs and other Dan Tobacco, but SP doesn't have what I want in stock. I found what I'm looking for at 4Noggins, but I've never done business with them. Are they legit?
I've many times ordered from them with no issues at all.
Though Smokingpipes.com and TobaccoPipes.com are my two primary choices, I have also ordered from:
TheCountrySquireonline.com
WatchCityCigar.com
PipesandCigars.com
CupOJoes.com

Top Bottom