What's new

Brown Leaf Acquisitions - April 2022

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The topping is Tonquin which I like (unlike Al). Strong nic hit. Very mellow, easy to smoke and slow burn. Virginia and Kentucky. Slightly sweet and pleasant lingering aftertaste. Moderate room note I suppose - nothing like most aromatic blends though. I enjoy it as a from time to time blend. Al got me interested in the infamous Comdor and that one I really like but it is expensive with its basic high cost plus shipping from Ireland (had to throw this in for Al @AimlessWanderer. Lately I’ve been stuck on Sutliff Virginia Slices as my all day smoke but I’ll get back to Burley eventually. In any case, give 1792 a try and let me know your take on it.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The topping is Tonquin which I like (unlike Al). Strong nic hit. Very mellow, easy to smoke and slow burn. Virginia and Kentucky. Slightly sweet and pleasant lingering aftertaste. Moderate room note I suppose - nothing like most aromatic blends though. I enjoy it as a from time to time blend. Al got me interested in the infamous Comdor and that one I really like but it is expensive with its basic high cost plus shipping from Ireland (had to throw this in for Al @AimlessWanderer. Lately I’ve been stuck on Sutliff Virginia Slices as my all day smoke but I’ll get back to Burley eventually. In any case, give 1792 a try and let me know your take on it.
Thanks Steve! I plan on letting it stew a bit but I'll let you know my thoughts when I get around to it. I think I'll like it though. I like Tonquin and the condiments so it stands to reason 🤷‍♂️. I'm just glad its not Lakeland. I have a few Lakeland blends which are not my favorite and won't be replaced and possibly PIF’S. We'll see.

I can’t help but buy SJF when it’s available.

F5FBBD28-D842-4E40-89F2-E5E75389FEF8.jpeg

My order arrived today. I ended up getting the slightly larger Istanbul bowl as I read a wider diameter bore can help beginners keep their cool. I filled it 1/3rd with American BC to start lining the bowl and it seemed to go very well with a couple of relights. The bowl and aluminium got no more than comfortably warm/medium in the hand.

Damn. Is there any way to make them more air-tight or moisture-tight? I don't really have room for the larger jars, not for more than 1 or 2. I could leave the tobacco in their plastic bags and pop them into the jars, but I guess that sort of defeats the purpose.
I use a product called Parafilm to seal all my tins. You could probably wrap it around the lid to make it seal. Not ideal for a jar you going in and out of on the daily (would be annoying to keep wrapping it), but if you're setting them aside for a while it would work.
I also used Parafilm to wrap all my new SG tins that aren't sealed, instead of jarring them.
Its a fairly cheap product and goes a long way if you cut it into 1/2" to 3/4" strips instead of using the full 2" width.

I use a product called Parafilm to seal all my tins. You could probably wrap it around the lid to make it seal. Not ideal for a jar you going in and out of on the daily (would be annoying to keep wrapping it), but if you're setting them aside for a while it would work.
I also used Parafilm to wrap all my new SG tins that aren't sealed, instead of jarring them.
Its a fairly cheap product and goes a long way if you cut it into 1/2" to 3/4" strips instead of using the full 2" width.
Looks promising - Ordered. Thanks.

I'm really enjoying the ride, it's been a pure pleasure from the get go.
I needed a few pipes with large bowls, most of what I have are on the medium to smallish size.
That Brebbia Sea Gull is beautiful. SP doesn't seem to have any left -- but they have some sandblast and smooth Dublins as well.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Two odd pickups today from smaller antique shops. Any speculation you guys might have is welcomed!

First up is a Diamond logo poker LHS with "Genuine Briar" markings and "Crane Packing Co. Chicago" on the top of the stummel.
It's in great shape. The "Genuine Briar" has me a little puzzled as to a date. Pre WWII LHS pipes were reportedly stamped "Real Briar", WWII wartime pipes were not marked briar at all, and post WWII LHS pipes were stamped "Imported Briar".
lhs side.jpg

lhs top.jpg

Next is a billiard stamped "Abercrombie & Fitch Made in England" It has a strange stem mount, which has stamping inside that reads G.B. 696563, FR. 1045907, S.AFR. 15448, AND OTHERS. I presume that to be some registration numbers for Great Britain, France, and South Africa. Bad weathering on the stem, but I'll have it tip top in no time.
I would guess this is 60's before A&F became the Millennial Mecca it is now, back when they sold hunting vests and fishing rods.
AandF side.jpg

AandF top.jpg

AandF assy.jpg

inside shank.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Two odd pickups today from smaller antique shops. Any speculation you guys might have is welcomed!

First up is a Diamond logo poker LHS with "Genuine Briar" markings and "Crane Packing Co. Chicago" on the top of the stummel.
It's in great shape. The "Genuine Briar" has me a little puzzled as to a date. Pre WWII LHS pipes were reportedly stamped "Real Briar", WWII wartime pipes were not marked briar at all, and post WWII LHS pipes were stamped "Imported Briar".
View attachment 1440525
View attachment 1440526

Next is a billiard stamped "Abercrombie & Fitch Made in England" It has a strange stem mount, which has stamping inside that reads G.B. 696563, FR. 1045907, S.AFR. 15448, AND OTHERS. I presume that to be some registration numbers for Great Britain, France, and South Africa. Bad weathering on the stem, but I'll have it tip top in no time.
I would guess this is 60's before A&F became the Millennial Mecca it is now, back when they sold hunting vests and fishing rods.
View attachment 1440528
View attachment 1440529
View attachment 1440530
View attachment 1440531
I really like that A&F pipe. I have 2 LL Bean pipes and am always on the lookout for other store brand pipes. One is a straight billiard that I smoke occasionally and the other is a 1/4 bent billiard that I haven’t had time to clean up yet. I’m always looking for a Disney world pipe.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I really like that A&F pipe. I have 2 LL Bean pipes and am always on the lookout for other store brand pipes. One is a straight billiard that I smoke occasionally and the other is a 1/4 bent billiard that I haven’t had time to clean up yet. I’m always looking for a Disney world pipe.
I would love to have a Disney pipe...

Top Bottom