What's new

Brown Leaf Acquisitions - April 2022

Mail day! Got the two nording compass pipes and assortment of smoking material today. I'm excited to puff these pipes. They are super light and look cool! One in matte brown finish and the other in "raw"

20220401_212528.jpg
20220401_125428.jpg
20220401_212247.jpg

When at Target this morning, I spied mini-Mason jars -- a 4-pack of 4 oz. jars for $6.99. These will be perfect for jarring some of the plastic bagged blends like PA and CH, thus reducing the clutter inside the pipe box. All 4 can be left in their little cardboard tray; they won't use much space in my closet either. I'll print up some labels at work this week!

Last edited:
When at Target this morning, I spied mini-Mason jars -- a 4-pack of 4 oz. jars for $6.99. These will be perfect for jarring some of the plastic bagged blends like PA and CH, thus reducing the clutter inside the pipe box. All 4 can be left in their little cardboard tray; they won't use much space in my closet either. I'll print up some labels at work this week!

If these are the ones you bought, they’re not airtight like the regular two-piece lid jars. They’re fine for very short term, but after a week or two the tobacco inside will start to dry out. After a month, the tobacco will be crispy.

9997BBF3-4B34-4A5D-91B4-BFA4CDAD252C.jpeg

If these are the ones you bought, they’re not airtight like the regular two-piece lid jars. They’re fine for very short term, but after a week or two the tobacco inside will start to dry out. After a month, the tobacco will be crispy.

View attachment 1433321
Damn. Is there any way to make them more air-tight or moisture-tight? I don't really have room for the larger jars, not for more than 1 or 2. I could leave the tobacco in their plastic bags and pop them into the jars, but I guess that sort of defeats the purpose.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I guess I need to check my recent SG purchases.
I had 4 tins of Squadron Leader in the new style packaging that I bought at the end of Dec. 2021. With the cellophane wrap off each tin just needed a small amount of force to open them. There was a VERY slight pop when they opened so there may have been a light vacuum but nothing like the old pressure that would actually suck the halves in. The tobacco was in good shape and still at what I consider the “normal” SG moisture, damp to wet. Oh well I’m going to smoke one tin now and jar the other 3. Or maybe I’ll smoke 2 and jar 2, who knows.
:pipe:

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I’m going to smoke one tin now and jar the other 3. Or maybe I’ll smoke 2 and jar 2, who knows. :pipe:

Based on what I know now, ALL future rectangular tinned purchases will be jarred or Mylar bagged (four small bags per tin) within three days of receiving them. When I decided to transfer the 14(?) tins I had in stock to something airtight, I discovered that two had lost all vacuum. I managed to salvage them (with a glug of rum), but won't take any chances in future.

Top Bottom