What's new

Brotherhood of Unscented Gentlemen Shavers

It didn't disappear at all. It stayed the same, just got pasty on me. I bowl lather but I had to keep adding water and do a face later throughout the shave.

I think pasty means add more water.
Runny would mean add more air.

I've been face lathering. I load it (like I hate it....thanks Ant) so I have to dip the tips into the sink water a couple of times to get it wet enough. I don't bother with drops like the expert bowl lather guys do...lol. I'm not that zen.

But more soap=more water and more agitation. Also greater margin of error I suspect.

Did you try experimenting when not shaving to see how much water it can hold before it breaks down ?
IME soaps hold quite a bit of water. I've never ruined on during a shave. Creams are a bit more fragile but soaps are just dry by nature.

I think pasty means add more water.
Runny would mean add more air.

I've been face lathering. I load it (like I hate it....thanks Ant) so I have to dip the tips into the sink water a couple of times to get it wet enough. I don't bother with drops like the expert bowl lather guys do...lol. I'm not that zen.

But more soap=more water and more agitation. Also greater margin of error I suspect.

Did you try experimenting when not shaving to see how much water it can hold before it breaks down ?
IME soaps hold quite a bit of water. I've never ruined on during a shave. Creams are a bit more fragile but soaps are just dry by nature.

I HATE being cold so I use a scuttle. I know, somewhat contradictive since I really like menthol. I guess I'm just a little twisted. :crazy:

Pasty is probably the wrong word. Reverse-flocculant is much more descriptive. I could build a beautiful later in the scuttle but as soon as I put it on my face it began to change quickly. I did dip the brush several times to keep the lather moist but it would eventually become to thin. I would add more soap to the scuttle and reapply to my face. By the time I was done with the right side, the left side and neck had to be doctored up. We have horribly hard water here in Phoenix and I suspect that might be part of the problem.
I've never had any soap (I don't use creams unless I'm traveling) react the way this one did.
I've also never had to wash my face after an hour of applying shaving products before either. I'm guessing that there are a number of factors that went into this bad experience. Since there are so many great products out there, no need to keep trying to make this work. :a52:

I HATE being cold so I use a scuttle. I know, somewhat contradictive since I really like menthol. I guess I'm just a little twisted. :crazy:

Pasty is probably the wrong word. Reverse-flocculant is much more descriptive. I could build a beautiful later in the scuttle but as soon as I put it on my face it began to change quickly. I did dip the brush several times to keep the lather moist but it would eventually become to thin. I would add more soap to the scuttle and reapply to my face. By the time I was done with the right side, the left side and neck had to be doctored up. We have horribly hard water here in Phoenix and I suspect that might be part of the problem.
I've never had any soap (I don't use creams unless I'm traveling) react the way this one did.
I've also never had to wash my face after an hour of applying shaving products before either. I'm guessing that there are a number of factors that went into this bad experience. Since there are so many great products out there, no need to keep trying to make this work. :a52:

Just to compare...
This mornings shave with Catie's Bubbles Le Nude was fantastic. Once I got the lather in the scuttle how I wanted it, it stayed consistent throughout the shave. I only had to re-whip it a bit before reapplying for 2nd and 3rd pass. Too many good soaps out there to fight with one.

I wish I could identify but I've never used WK and my water is soft.

I guess hard water is a good reason but man.....that's just odd.

Some guys use distilled water to shave with. I wonder if that would make a difference. But thin is bad.

So a flocculant causes clumping. Isn't it to opposite of a suspension which lather would be ?
You're saying the suspension is failing ? That would be interesting if a mineral in the water was causing that. Seems plausible.

I wish I could identify but I've never used WK and my water is soft.

I guess hard water is a good reason but man.....that's just odd.

Some guys use distilled water to shave with. I wonder if that would make a difference. But thin is bad.

So a flocculant causes clumping. Isn't it to opposite of a suspension which lather would be ?
You're saying the suspension is failing ? That would be interesting if a mineral in the water was causing that. Seems plausible.

A flucculant causes the suspended particulates in a solution to clump together. This seems to be more the water was removed from the soap much quicker than just evaporated. I know, I was getting a little flowery with my words, but I wanted to explain it in a way made it different than I just needed to add water.
I did the distilled water thing for a while. I wasn't disciplined enough to use distilled water exclusively. I realized that after soaking the brush in the sink, the water held in the brush, rinsing my face, dipping the razor to clean it, and all the other sink water stuff happening with shaving, that a few drops in a bowl really didn't do much.

Okay, i got it. I think.
Not drying out in the usual way but not holding water ?

That has to be a hard water thing. odd.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Maybe the Marco method would help. I'll have to break mine out and see if I can whip it up. It's been a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Maybe the Marco method would help. I'll have to break mine out and see if I can whip it up. It's been a while.

Marco method? Guess I'm going to have to do a little research.

If you're interested, I have used Stirling Unscented w/ Beeswax, Stirling Naked and Smooth, Soap Commander Integrity, Chiseled Face Cryogen, and Catie's Bubbles Le Nude since the Wholly Kaw and not one problem with any of those using the same brush, water, and technique.

Since we are on the unscented bandwagon...can we hear some recommendations for unscented post-shave products. Either ASB and AS. (And please don't anyone write in and say Nivea Sensitive is unscented).

Since we are on the unscented bandwagon...can we hear some recommendations for unscented post-shave products. Either ASB and AS. (And please don't anyone write in and say Nivea Sensitive is unscented).

Big fan of Stirling's Unscented Balm as splash. I also like Soap Commander Integrity balm. I wish they made a splash but when I reached out to them to discuss, the answer was people rarely ask for unscented splash. I say shenanigans!

I second Stirling's unscented balm. Really great stuff (as are all things Stirling).

I also use Dickinson's Witch Hazel. There's no added scent so you have to like it or at least not hate it.

Oh and Fine Snakebite is a good one also, if you like the menthol.

If you're interested, I have used Stirling Unscented w/ Beeswax, Stirling Naked and Smooth, Soap Commander Integrity, Chiseled Face Cryogen, and Catie's Bubbles Le Nude since the Wholly Kaw and not one problem with any of those using the same brush, water, and technique.

So what does the Beeswax do exactly ? I know it's the no lanolin version of a Stirling soap but does the wax change the texture or lather in any way ? Does it do anything during or post shave ?

My sights are on it.

So what does the Beeswax do exactly ? I know it's the no lanolin version of a Stirling soap but does the wax change the texture or lather in any way ? Does it do anything during or post shave ?

My sights are on it.

For me, the lather just seems to be slightly more dense. It also stays more stable throughout the entire shave. If lanolin is not a problem for you then there might not be a need. If you're up to buy a new soap, you won't go wrong with it (if you're used to and like, Naked and Smooth).

KeenDogg

My lathering technique with Italian soft soaps

Thanks for the suggestions! I may have to spring for one!

For me, the lather just seems to be slightly more dense. It also stays more stable throughout the entire shave. If lanolin is not a problem for you then there might not be a need. If you're up to buy a new soap, you won't go wrong with it (if you're used to and like, Naked and Smooth).

Thanks. I'm on sabbatical at the moment but....like I said, my eye is on it. lol

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Great idea for a brotherhood....I am in!!! I don't have any allergies that I know of, but I just can't handle having a constant scent on me....and the missus feels the same way and is even more sensitive to it than me.

Great idea for a brotherhood....I am in!!! I don't have any allergies that I know of, but I just can't handle having a constant scent on me....and the missus feels the same way and is even more sensitive to it than me.

Welcome.
Feel free to add our log to your sig line if you like.

We have a few members but we're pretty active. So far it's a good club.

KeenDogg

Welcome to the club!

Top Bottom