OC SOTD

Razor:
Mk1 Fatip with GTS handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum (8)
Brush: 22/50 Shavemac
Soap: Proraso Green
ASL: Layrite No9
20220619_103452[2].jpg

The broken pin I epoxied came loose, so this time I used JB Weld, instead of JB Quick. And let it set-up for a week.
Three weeks of stubble on the lower portion of my neck, gone.
Not the most comfortable shave I have had with my trusty Mk1, I'm thinking one week between shaves would be better than three.
We'll see.

I noticed a few things letting the stubble grow, my neck hair grows two distinct different directions, left to right, and right to left from the middle out. And the stubble grows heavier on the left side, which explains why I have no trouble on the right side of my neck, but it's tough getting all the stubble mowed down on the left side.
It is also getting very white.

In the meantime, I made three more GTS handles on my Sherline miniature lathe!!!

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wolman Wednesday
OC SOTD

Razor:
WR2 0.95/GC84OC
Blade: Feather(2) Wizamet(3)
Brush: Rudy Vey STM25
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
ASL: Layrite No9
20220621_221607[1].jpg

For today's shave I decided to use my GC84OC on the first N-S pass as I am trying to even up the jawline of my beard.

The GC84OC is an efficient razor with enough blade feel to let you know where it is, which makes it great for trimming a beard line back a little. It is also one of my smoothest OC razors.

Switching to my WR2 0.95 for the second pass, this time S-N, was so comfortable I started to giggle. It is just that much smoother and comfortable.

The Rudy Vey STM25 is a truly wonderful brush, super soft and really delivers the lather.

The finishing products of Which hazel, Layrite No9, and Nivea balm left me with a smile.

~doug~

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSC_6156.png

Monday 07.04.22
Pre - Hot washcloth & bloom water
Razor - Timeless SLIM Edition Open Comb
Blade - Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
Brush - Elite Razor Red/White/Blue 24mm Manchurian White Fan
Soap -Declaration Grooming La Petite Prairie Shaving Soap (Milk Steak)
Post - Declaration Grooming La Petite Prairie Aftershave Splash

I like open comb razors and (not counting my herd of Techs) 'prolly have more open comb razors than closed. I've been working lately on a #160 Goodwill. I got it cheap & it had a mismatched handle. I finally found an uncracked Ball End handle & it's on the way back to me from getting replated. I also have several old Types & have another one just nickel replated with an also uncracked ball end handle.
I've used one of several long combs over the years and like them. I've read lately of several guys blathering on about how great their Short Combs are. I dug into the spare parts box & pulled out a Reissue SC needing a handle. I've got a replica handle that will do nicely & have been shaving with it all week with a variety of blades. The boastful comments are No Hype - it REALLY Does give a great shave using a variety of blades. I think it will go out next for a gold replate to match the handle. After all, if it shaves like a dream, it should look like a showpiece.

guys blathering on about how great their Short Combs are

Yeah, I'm one of those guys. But yesterday's OC shave on the road was a thick cap ball end Old Type. I'm not sure I would allow my SC razors out of the house.

24071B34-B0A2-4ABE-B339-97FBC9BE8641.jpeg

The figurines are refugees from my friends' basement (yet over-the-top) tiki bar just down the hall from my borrowed den. The Arko Man is a big fan of both the ukulele and the hula.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys. But yesterday's OC shave on the road was a thick cap ball end Old Type. I'm not sure I would allow my SC razors out of the house.

View attachment 1484396

The figurines are refugees from my friends' basement (yet over-the-top) tiki bar just down the hall from my borrowed den. The Arko Man is a big fan of both the ukulele and the hula.

View attachment 1484396

I've got parts on the way back to me from Backroads gold for your Old Type's nickel cousin. I got it stupidly cheap, and planned to use the handle on another razor, but it shaved so nicely that I decided to refurb it. Here's the before pic - no nickel left on it.
20220606_134711.jpg

I hope to get the handle parts by this weekend & will post an after pic.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Timeless Thursday
High Efficiency
SOTD

Razor:
Ti95OC
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Shavemac 26/52
Soap: WK La Fougere Parfaite
ASL: Clubman
20220707_220616[1].jpg

Man I love the scent of the WK La Fougere, but the lather seems to be lacking the slickness of the Stirling Bay Rum I have been using lately.
Or it could be this is only the second time I have shaved my face in a year, but I felt the blade tonight. Not in a bad way feel, but the blade was the ONLY thing I felt.

And when I say only, I mean the razor simply disappeared and all I felt was the blade. I didn't feel the guard, the cap, or the handle. I'm pretty sure I was shaving steep for most of the shave, but I can neither confirm nor deny that I was shaving steep or not. I was not aware of the razor.

The main reason I chose this razor was because I am still evening up the sides of my goatee, and I needed an open comb to do some more whacking.
Whacking with precision is what I got, the blade always letting me know just where it was, but never giving a hint that it wanted to step out of place.

Two passes like usual, the first mostly WTG/XTG N-S, but with lots and lots of trimming and edging. A LOT.

Then the S-N pass which I consider an ATG pass, was surprisingly free of drama, and actually more comfortable than the first pass.

The Witch hazel was soothing, the Clubman had less of a sting than usual, with Nivea balm keeping up with the rest of the band, and a surprisingly close shave was had.

We are talking a surprise BBS on my face, and the next best thing to that on my neck. No redness, no weepers, just the blade and me.

~doug~

Just got my box of parts delivered from BRG today - a day earlier than anticipated.
At last I have the proper handle for my Goodwill. The handle had tiny cracks at each end that I repaired prior to the replate & they're pretty much invisible.

The Old Type was a $10 razor I bought initially for the handle, but it shaves so nice that it deserved return to its' former glory. Pics soon.
New Ball End for Goodwill.jpg

Last edited:
I've got parts on the way back to me from Backroads gold for your Old Type's nickel cousin. I got it stupidly cheap, and planned to use the handle on another razor, but it shaved so nicely that I decided to refurb it. Here's the before pic - no nickel left on it.
View attachment 1484561

Just got my box of parts delivered (a day early) from BRG.

View attachment 1484561

I hope to get the handle parts by this weekend & will post an after pic.
The box of parts delivered today, a day early. Here's The Old Type after the Nickel replate:
Nickel Old Type.jpg

The 2nd box in the mail had THIS:
Senator2.jpg

I was looking for a Senator to go with my Sheraton & planned to get junk that needed replating. I got this instead.
The doors look pristine and unblemished. It looks like a replate, but the handle has some light brassing, so it's all original. 2 end teeth are bent a little, but I'll leave them alone for now.
I did te first test shave using a Treet Black Beauty & got the same close & smooth shave I get with my Sheraton.

Somewhere along the way I ended up with a New SC bottom plate & cap. The correct handle has a smaller diameter end. I didn't have anything to fit & wasn't able to find anything, so was gonna settle on a replica Ball end handle that does fit.
Tonite I was shuffling razors around to stage for next weeks' shaves. I noticed on a favorite New LC I've been using for years had a common bar handle with the smaller end. I swapped around handles & now have a handle to fit the New SC head.
Woo Hoo!

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSC_1562.png
Sunday 07.10.22

Pre - Hot washcloth & bloom water
Razor - Blackland Brassbird Open Comp
Blade - Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdgeYellow
Brush - Spiffo! "Castillo" - African Blackwood w/24mm HMW SHD Fan
Soap - Barrister and Mann Nordost Omnibus Base LE Shaving Soap
Post - Barrister and Mann Nordost Aftershave Splash

I just finished getting a nice ball end handle for a #160 Goodwill. I've seen several Goodwills for sale that have the bar handle instead. Are these mismatches, or did some of the #!60 Goodwills originally come with the bar handle?

Top Bottom