Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
OC SOTD

Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Feather (1)
Soap: Pre de Provence No 63
Brush: Maggard 26mm Synthetic

I've been trying different blades in my Fatip and Schone razors, and Feather is one of my top three favorites.
However, I did not find it as smooth and enjoyable as they usually are in my other razors, but not uncomfortable and still very efficient. Two pass shave with the Fatip with excellent results.
The other blades I find to be very smooth and efficient in the Fatip so far, Astra SS, Gillette Silver Blue, and Voskhod, but still have others to try.

I really so love the Fatip made razors that I ordered three more, and one Schone so I can hopefully get the correct handle.
20200901_104428_kindlephoto-13662077.jpg

I'm a Gillette Tech guy through and through, and the thing about them I like the most is the perfect blade alignment. When I got my Wade and Butcher open comb, I loved how it shaved but fiddling with the blade alignment (and modifying a blade) could be a hassle. Great shaves though, and it really got me to start appreciate open combs.

I acquired a Gillette NEW Long Comb, and immediately fell in love with it. I tossed the handle from my pre-war fat tech on it, and slowly found it taking over my Gillette Tech collection. Again though, no perfect blade alignment when changing blades with its current top cap. It's the one with the 2 smaller tabs (#148 short bar cap). For some reason that's such a peeve of mine, and sometimes it's enough of a deterrent for me to regress back to my Techs. Sometimes I just can't be bothered/don't have time to stop and fiddle with alignment.

I did a thing though. Apparently my post-war fat handle Tech top cap fits on the NEW Long Comb, and wallah! I get the perfect blade alignment that I love, with the power of open comb! I love this razor. A gold pre-war fat handle, a Gillette NEW Long Comb base plate, and a gold post-war Tech top cap.

I recommend giving this hybrid a try, if you have all of the elements of course. It's cool how these pieces were interchangeable. I've had my favorite razor for a while now, I just didn't realize I needed to put it together!

Shave four of my RazoRock BBS training schedule, and guess what? I used my FOCS!

I usually blame myself when things don't go as planned. But this time I'm definitely laying the blame on Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers and his damned "Slantember" thread.

Slantember SOTD
SOTD-Y_2020-09-02.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (3)
ASL: Proraso Red

An excellent shave. :cornut:

Thank you for ruining my plan Jim. :laugh: :001_tt2:

I decided to dig into the past again today (after yesterday's Mixed Midget revelation). Seeing it's Slantember I dug out my PBOCS, last used nearly three years ago!

SOTD
SOTD-PBOCS_2020-09-05.jpg

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Razor: PBOCS (Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant) Stormtrooper
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black 5️⃣

One great shave. :cornut:

I'd forgotten (but quickly remembered) how an extensive training session (four weeks in January 1917) with the PBOCS had improved my technique A LOT! Controlling this mighty lightweight (16½g loaded, 16g empty) was a little bit of a challenge to start with. When I'd finished my PBOCS training and moved back to "normal" weight DEs I noticed straight away how much my technique had improved.*

* Of course, my technique is still far from perfect... so I keep my SWB clean at all times. :wink2:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
OC SOTD

Razor: Schöne OC / Grande Handle
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Blade: Gillette Platinum

I took a break from my FOCS and went with the Schöne today.
It was a good comparison to the FOCS, and learned that while today's shave with the Schöne was smooth, efficient, and comfortable, the FOCS razor does give a smoother and more efficient shave. I did have a couple of small areas for pickups with todays razor, where as with the FOCS there is nothing left after just two passes.
20200911_125606_kindlephoto-414739644.jpg

Not long ago I decided to get my first DE razor. But which one? I wanted something to shave my head and face. If I'm camping, I might go a week without shaving so I needed a razor which could tackle longer growth as well as short stubble.

I quickly zero-d in on a mild, open comb as my perfect razor: easy to use, versatile, up for any kind of shaving task.

So what do you think I chose?

Here's a clue:

matchbox.png

A handy blade drawer...

blade-drawer-2-small.png

And a razor..

whats-in-the-box-small.png

A Merkur 985C. Same head as the 15C with a two part, 63mm handle (the little piece fits inside the large piece for packing). I don't use my razor to mow the lawn so a short handle works fine for me.

Merkur 985C pieces-small.png

But what about soap? Some Arko stuffed into a lipstick tube completes the travel kit.

razor and kit - small.png

This is also the razor I use for my daily shave. It seems to handle anything I throw at it. Short stubble. Week-old beard. A mild open-comb with a sharp blade is very versatile.

Last edited:
With it being my "other-razor/non-training" day, out came my somewhat neglected Mühle R41 (and a fresh Feather to make it happy).

Normally I would have shimmed it to stiffen up the blade for the ATG pass. But I remembered Rudy @rudyt saying there's no need for modifications if your technique is up to scratch (that was a while back).

So, being very technique minded with all this training stuff I'm doing, I thought "go for it." And... an excellent result, not to mention a great shave, was the outcome. Thanks Rudy, you're the man! :thumbsup:

OC SOTD
SOTD-R_2020-09-12.jpg

Brush: Semogue 22/49 Targa-C3 Finest Mistura
Razor: Mühle R41 on custom olive wood handle
Blade: Feather (1)

A great shave. :cornut:

My new Semogue Mistura was even better today (on its second outing). :biggrin:

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh