Thursday 10.17.19 SOTD
RazoRock Pre Barba Pre Shave Gel
Schone OC gold / Astra SP (1)
Yaqi Ruby Handle 24mm 2-Band Badger
RazoRock XXX Italian Shaving Soap
RazoRock XXX After Shaving Splash

DSCF0004 - Edited.jpg

Thursday OCtober 17

Using this razor for the first time, The Gleaner, a 2 piece made in Sheffield, England. I purchased this from @Northstonehill here about 2 months or so back. This looks a bit like my Palmera 65 that I shaved with a couple days ago but the shave felt nothing like the shave I received from the Palmera.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Stirling Executive Man
Brush - Paladin Phantasia PK-47 26mm
Blade - Gillette Platinum (3)
Razor - The Gleaner (Sheffield, England)
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Stirling Executive Man A/S, Stirling Executive Man EdT

Shave rating 5 of 5

Although it looks like my Palmera 65, the first pass with The Gleaner told me this razor was nothing like it in the shave department. This is a smooth shaver with almost no blade feel. The first pass was WTG and was DFS. The second pass was XTG and again was a very smooth pass with absolutely no blade feel and a very easy BBS. The Stirling lather was a little watery; I put a drop or two too much water in but it lubricated well. It just wasn't thick like normal. I was about to finish with what I thought was a nick free and weeper free shave when I nicked my neck at my adams apple - I got distracted. The alum had a little to say around my neck area but it wasn't bad. I finished off with the Executive Man duo of A/S and EdT.

Overall, a really good shave. I have a few more French razors for my next few shaves.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.
6F4BCE17-ED57-44B2-9B35-54BF66CC552B.jpeg

Friday OCtober 18

This is a slightly smaller and lighter Leresche #34 model than the Leresche #54 I used earlier in the week. The comb length seems to be slightly shorter on this razor than on the #54. I didn't measure, I will later, it is just my impression on use.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Friday)
Brush - M&F Stubby, Finest Badger, Cobalt 30mm
Blade - Gillette Platinum (4)
Razor - Leresche #34 (France)
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Epsilon Blue A/S (Spain)

Shave rating 5 of 5

I liked the shave although I liked the #54 better. The #34 is a little lighter and I found it a little difficult to find the proper shaving angle. My first pass WTG was smooth with no blade feel, and not very efficient and it left me with more stubble than I'm used to, <DFS. The second pass, XTG and again was a very smooth pass with absolutely no blade feel and DFS+. I don't and I'm not chasing BBS so I didn't feel I needed to do another pass. The MWF lather was very good on the first pass and perfect for the second pass - I didn't do anything, it just sat in my scuttle. I got a 2 pass, nick and weeper free shave. The alum was silent, even on my neck area which is unusual. I finished off with the Epsilon Blue A/S.

Overall, a really good shave. I have a few more French razors for my next few shaves.

2E9FEC07-E658-4350-83E7-89BCCCC84A30.jpeg

Love the pictures in this thread. In keeping with Rocktober OCtober, my daily was RR GC .84 OC, Voskod blade, Proraso green pre-post and cream. Love that menthol.

Monday OCtober 21

Going with some US made razors this week. First up is my 1934 Aristocrat. While this razor shaves well, it's not quite as good as my British Aristocrat #15.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Monday)
Brush - Rubberset 400-3
Blade - Gillette Platinum (5)
Razor - Gillette Aristocrat 1934 (US)
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods

Shave rating 5 of 5

This Aristocrat is a mild razor and not very efficient. I received a good shave in 2 passes. I didn't shave over the weekend so I had 3 days beard growth. The first pass WTG was smooth with no blade feel, and not very efficient and it left me with some stragglers, <DFS. The second pass, XTG and again was a very smooth pass with absolutely no blade feel and and finished BBS. The MWF lather was very good on both passes. I got a 2 pass, nick and weeper free shave. The alum was silent, even on my neck area which is unusual. I finished off with the Clubman Whiskey Woods, a scent I really like.

Overall, a really good shave. Going with some US made OC razors this week.

1724D9DD-A471-48E2-AC50-A520C09AD910.jpeg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0003 - Edited (2).jpg

Tuesday 10.22.19 SOTD
RazoRock Essential Oil Of Lime Shave Oil
RazoRock Game Changer OC .84-P. / Gillette Nacet (1)
Simpsons Commodore X3 Best Badger
RazoRock "What The Puck?!" Lime Burst
Italian Barber Amici After Shaving Splash

DSCF0004 - Edited (1).jpg

Tuesday OCtober 22

Today I went with the Grand Shave King SLOC. This gave me a nice mild shave though not as close as the razors from last week.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Le Pere Lucien Savon du Barbier (France)
Brush - Brad Sears
Blade - Gillette Platinum (6)
Razor - Grand Shave King
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Floid SE Mentolado Vigoroso A/S

Shave rating 4 of 5

This Grand Shave King is a mild razor and not very efficient. I received a good shave in 2 passes. The first pass WTG was smooth with almost no blade feel, and not very efficient and it left me with some stragglers, <DFS. The second pass, XTG and again was a very smooth pass with a little blade feel and and finished DFS. The Le Pere lather generated quickly and was excellent on both passes. I got a 2 pass, nick and weeper free shave. The alum was silent, even on my neck area which is unusual. I finished off with the Floid A/S.

4D65E68C-B5BD-49F7-8A5B-EB4739FFAEF1.jpeg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0008 - Edited.jpg

Wednesday 10.23.19 SOTD
Karve Christopher Bradley Gladius OC “C” Plate / Feather (1)
Yaqi Barber Pole Handle 24mm 2-Band Badger
RazoRock XXX Italian Shaving Soap
RazoRock XXX After Shaving Splash

DSCF0009 - Edited.jpg

Weds OCtober 23

I've wanted to use my Cooper Monobilt and today was the day. I think I need to repair the spring that holds the blade; it's putting a little too much tension on the blade and I think is slightly bending the blade when the cap is closed. I need to see if there is an easy way to fix this.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Weds)
Brush - ThatDarnRob
Blade - Gillette Platinum (7)
Razor - Cooper Monobilt
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Clubman Special Reserve

Shave rating 5 of 5

I haven't had this Cooper very long, about 3 months and this is my first time using it. Concerned about the piece of spring steel that holds the blade in place that it was bent slightly out of place by a prior owner. I need to figure out a way to adjust this as the spring very slightly warps the blade when the cap is closed. I just shave carefully on the one end of the razor; it gave me a great shave. The first pass WTG was smooth with a little blade feel, and fairly efficient - DFS. The second pass, XTG and again was a very smooth pass with no blade feel and and finished BBS. As usual, the MWF generated a great lubricating lather. I got a 2 pass, nick and weeper free shave. The alum was a little vocal on my neck area. I finished off with the Clubman SR A/S.

BD341247-822E-4146-9F5B-B2780A149A63.jpeg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0014 - Edited (1).jpg

Thursday 10.24.19 SOTD
TSE Pre-Shave Oil
Schone OC gold / Astra SP (2)
Vulfix 1016 Pure Badger
Williams Shaving Soap in a vintage mug
Aqua Velva Aftershave (Spanish Version) by Williams

DSCF0010 - Edited (1).jpg

Thursday OCtober 24

So I decided to go "big" today. Pulled out my 1923 Big Fellow, used my largest brush, a 31mm M&F, and Stirling Deep Blue Sea A/S.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - La Savonniere du Moulin (A+ in my book)
Brush - M&F Arley Butterscotch
Blade - Gillette Platinum (8)
Razor - Gillette New Big Fellow 1923
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Stirling Deep Blue Sea A/S

Shave rating 5 of 5

The Big Fellow provided an excellent, 2 pass shave. The first pass WTG was smooth with a little blade feel, and fairly efficient - DFS. The second pass, XTG and again was a very smooth pass with no blade feel and and finished BBS. I haven't used this soap since the beginning of the month; it is my favorite, just ahead of MWF. With an almond sized chunk, this soap generated enough high lubricating lather for 6 passes if if I wanted them. I got a 2 pass, nick and weeper free shave. The alum was a little vocal on my neck area and on my upper lip. I finished off with the Stirling Deep Blue Sea A/S.

Overall, an excellent shave. Have a few more vintage OC razors to use before I break out my current OC razors for this last week of OCtober.

9A894A36-4DDF-4439-B6E9-6A3675F3232A.jpeg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0007 - Edited (1).jpg

Friday 10.25.19 SOTD
RazoRock Game Changer OC .84-P.HD Handle / Gillette Nacet (1)
Yaqi R1730 Sagarda Familia Tuxedo
RazoRock "What the Puck?!" Orange Sunrise
Italian Barber Amici After Shaving Splash

DSCF0008 - Edited.jpg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0012 - Edited.jpg

Saturday 10.26.19 SOTD
RazoRock Artisan Bar Soap lather and rise
Gillette ball end NEW LC gold / Gillette Nacet (1)
Vintage Kingsley (Austria) Pure Badger
Williams Shaving Soap in a vintage mug
Old Spice Cologne Original

DSCF0014 - Edited.jpg

Monday OCtober 28

I honed up one of my Henckels wedge blades over the weekend so I wanted to try it out on one my Henckels Rapide's for today's shave.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Monday)
Brush - Alpha Titanium Outlaw Fanchurian
Blade - Henckels wedge (1)
Razor - Henckels Rapide
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods

Shave rating 4 of 5

I'm working on my honing skill and technique. I'm not good yet. I haven't shaved since Thursday, I honed the wedge on Friday and wanted a few days growth before I shaved with the wedge. Today I did a 2 pass shave. First pass WTG I felt some tugging so my honing job was not good enough. Aside from the tugging, the first pass results were ok. The second pass was XTG and was a surprisingly smooth shave and results were surprisingly good, DFS overall with some BBS areas on my cheeks down to my jawline. So my honing is getting better but is not quite good enough yet. The MWF provided a nice slick lather for my face. Aside from the tugging, I got a 2 pass, nick and weeper free shave. The alum was almost silent, just a couple small areas of noise. I finished off with the Clubman Whiskey Woods A/S.

Overall, an pretty good shave. I think it's time to break out a couple of my current OC razors for the rest of OCtober.

D05BD518-4319-4D3D-874E-96C911919643.jpeg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0001 - Edited (4).jpg

Monday 10.28.19 SOTD
I Provenzali Olive Oil Artisan Bar Soap, lather and rinse
RazoRock Game Changer OC .84-P. / Gillette Nacet (1)
Frank Shaving 24mm x 50mm Silvertip Badger
Barrister and Mann Cheshire Shaving Soap
Barrister And Mann Barrister's Cheshire Aftershave

DSCF0002 - Edited (4).jpg

Tuesday OCtober 29

Starting to use my current OC razors, up today is my Timeless Bronze OC .78.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Stirling Mountain Man
Brush - ThatDarnRob v3 Fanchurian
Blade - Gillette Platinum (9)
Razor - Timeless Bronze OC .78
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Stirling Mountain Man A/S

Shave rating 5 of 5
754141ED-970A-43C8-A04B-D2079A524F19.jpeg

Weds OCtober 30

Up today is my Timeless SS OC .95 with scallop cap.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Weds)
Brush - Simpson The Duke 3 Manchurian Badger
Blade - Gillette Platinum (10)
Razor - Timeless SS OC .95 scallop cap
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Baum.BE A/S balm

Shave rating 5 of 5
F5490940-86A0-4BFA-8ED0-181E2910E831.jpeg

Thursday OCtober 31

I spent the last few evenings honing 8 wedge blades and my hope was that one or a couple/few I honed properly. I varied my technique slightly for each blade thinking I can adopt the technique used for which ever blade is honed best - assuming at least one is honed well. For today's shave, I used 3 of those wedges in 3 lather catchers for my shave and to test how I did honing.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - La Savonniere du Moulin
Brush - Simpson 400-3
Blade1 - Kampfe Bros Star
Razor1 - Kampfe Bros Star lather catcher US Pat 6/15/80, Eng Pat 3/8/87
Blade2 - M-K Heljestrand
Razor2 - Kindal Heljestrand lather catcher
Blade3 - Heljestrand
Razor3 - CV Heljestrand lather catcher
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Epsilon Blue A/S

Shave rating 5 of 5

Before anyone gets in a tizzy, all 3 are lather catchers but all 3 are also OC for OCtober. I started with the Kampfe with Kampfe blade WTG on one cheek by my ear. The blade was cutting but could have cut better. I switched to the Kindal with MK blade when I started on my other cheek. This blade felt a little sharper than the Kampfe. When I got to my neck and chin and mouth area, I switched to the other Heljestrand with the regular Heljestrand blade. Wow, this wedge was sharp and cut smoothly. I actually honed one blade so far well. Anyway, I finished up the first pass and did the 2nd pass XTG with the Heljestrand with regular Heljestrand blade. 2 passes, overall DFS+ with my cheeks down to my jawline BBS. It would be an understatement to say I'm happy. I just need to see how I did with the other wedges (I have 5 more to test). At worst, I can follow the honing technique I used for this Heljestrand blade for the rest of my un-honed blades. I finished off with the Epsilon Blue A/S.

Overall, an excellent shave. Now on to NOvember.

Happy shaves to everyone.
FA3501B0-A7CD-4892-B48F-C08DCBADCE6B.jpeg
722FF133-FEB2-42AB-8A6C-7F4857CC8C6B.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom