Thursday 10.03.19 SOTD
RazoRock Pre Barba Pre Shave Gel
RazoRock SLOC / Astra SP (3)
Mr. PB24BA-04 Pure Badger
Barrister and Mann Barrister's Reserve Spice Shaving Soap
Barrister's Reserve Spice Aftershave Splash

DSCF0011 - Edited (4).jpg

Tuesday OCtober 2

Hitting 2nd, a 101 year old, 1918 Gillette Bulldog.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Le Pere Lucien Savon du Barbier (A+in my book)
Brush - M&F
Blade - Feather HI SS (4)
Razor - 1918 Gillette Bulldog
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Baum.BE A/S balm, Floid SE Mentolado Vigoroso A/S

Shave rating 3.5 of 5

First shave with this razor, was kind of show only before. I really like barber pole handles. This razor has a problem with alignment of the blade plus I noticed a very slight hairline crack in the handle. I will need to look for a replacement. I was in a bit of a rush so I didn’t want to play with the blade alignment - one side was mild, the other aggressive - so I did a careful one pass, DFS shave. This soap is great, lather and lubricity are superior.

Looking through my stash to see what other century old Gillette razors I can pull out and use for the remainder of the week.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shave of the day & FFfOctober
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo SE
Blade : Voskhod #4
Brush: Maseto Silvertip, 27mm knot
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood
ASB: Nivea
ASC: TfOBS, No.74 Collection

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0009 - Edited.jpg

Friday 10.04.19 SOTD
RazoRock Pre Barba Pre Shave Gel
Schone OC gold / Astra SP (1)
Yaqi R1730 Sagarda Familia Tuxedo synth
Barrister and Mann Cheshire Shaving Soap
Barrister And Mann Barrister's Cheshire Aftershave

DSCF0011 - Edited.jpg

Thursday OCtober 3

Hitting 3rd, another 113 year old, 1906 Gillette single ring model 100.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Caties Bubbles Purple Grapefruit
Brush - Rubberset Albright #3
Blade - Feather HI SS (5)
Razor - 1906 Gillette Single Ring
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Baum.BE A/S balm

Shave rating 5 of 5

So I'm finding that each of these vintage century old razors have a personality of their own. My first shave this OCtober was with a similar aged single ring and that was a very mild, smooth shave with no blade feel. This razor was a bit more aggressive, a good bit of blade feel, but no less effective. I was in a bit of a rush so I only did a one pass shave and this razor gave me a DFS+ on that one WTG pass. This soap is really good, I could have done 5 passes with the lather generated by about a pea sized portion of the soap. The brush is one of my older brushes, and still has original boar knot (I believe) which is still in good shape. Brush was a little floppier than I like but still did the job well.

I apologize for my delay in posting this Thursday shave. Got busy Thursday and then had surgery on my left hand Friday morning and won't be shaving for a couple days while the hand heals and I can start using it again.

IMG_0951.JPG

Monday OCtober 7

Hitting cleanup, one of the pride of my collection, Gillette British Aristocrat #15.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF
Brush - Rubberset 200-4
Blade - Feather HI SS (6)
Razor - 1938 Gillette British Aristocrat #15

Shave rating 5 of 5

Had to take a few days off from shaving - surgery on my left hand on Friday and had some pain issues over the weekend so didn't want to risk it. My 4th OCtober shave is with one of my favorite razors period; a 1938 Gillette British Aristocrat #15. The shave was so smooth, the razor feels so solid and has good heft. There was a little bit of blade feel (which I like) but not overly aggressive. My Monday soap was MWF and that is a very good soap - I just wish I had more. The Rubberset 200-4 brush is a little floppy for my taste but still did a good job. Post shave, the alum reported very little - one little weeper - which I think backs up how good the razor and shave were. The shave was BBS on 2 passes with no follow-up needed.

I'm not sure I'll shave Tuesday, may wait an extra day so I can look through my razors to see which one is next AND use MWF again (as if I need an excuse).

IMG_0954.JPG

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0016 - Edited (1).jpg

Wednesday 10.09.19 SOTD
TSE Pre-Shave Oil
Gillette ball end NEW LC gold / Feather (1)
Yaqi Ruby Handle 24mm 2-Band Badger
Williams Shaving Soap in a vintage mug
Aqua Velva Aftershave (Spanish Version) by Williams

DSCF0013 - Edited.jpg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0007 - Edited (1).jpg

Thursday 10.10.19 SOTD
Pre de Provence Verbena face lather and rinse
Karve Christopher Bradley Gladius OC “C” Plate / Feather (1)
Semogue Owners Club Cherry Wood Boar
Barrister and Mann Cheshire Shaving Soap
Barrister And Mann Barrister's Cheshire Aftershave

DSCF0008 - Edited.jpg

Thursday OCtober 10

Ok, so on Monday I started using my European made vintage razors and I'm going to continue with European made razors for the next week or so. Today, I shaved with my British single ring, British Patent #28763.02, serial #H105553. Based on the serial #, I think this was made around 1915 which makes it more than a century old. I'm not sure what the "H" in the serial # means or if the serial # is actually "serial". H could mean that it was made in Britain for another country like Germany or that it was made in Germany for Germany. I don't know where it was made or what country it was made for. All I know is I have it and it's a GREAT shaving razor for 104+/- years old.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Cold River Soap Works Glide Morning Ghost
Brush - Dubl Duck #2 Boar
Blade - Feather HI SS (7)
Razor - 1915+/- Gillette British Single Ring
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Cold River Soap Works Morning Ghost A/S Splash

Shave rating 5 of 5

My hand is still bothering me so shaving is a bit of an issue; I'm not shaving every day. I get my stitches out tomorrow, maybe that will help - I can't get it wet, movement is still compromised, and there is still some pain. I can't stretch my skin in my neck area so I am having some problems there.

I did a 2 pass shave today. First pass, WTG was DFS and I could have stopped there. I really liked how this razor was shaving me. It felt very solid, a little blade feel which I liked. So I did a second pass XTG on my face but WTG again on my neck area as I wasn't going to try to get really close there as I can't stretch my skin there. Comparing this razor to my other single rings, this might be a half notch below my 1906 that I shaved with on 10/1 but shaved and felt better than the other single rings and the Bulldog. Seventh shave with this blade and it still feels ok. I thought the brush might be a little too floppy but it wasn't really. The soap and brush worked up a real nice lather. This soap and A/S has a real nice complex scent. Earthy and woodsy but at different times as I was shaving, I could smell some different scents, like it was changing a bit. I'm not sophisticated enough to know what each scent I picked up was but there were several different scents I smelled at different times during the shave. I hope the same happens with the A/S too. If it does, I'll look into getting the EdT (if they make one).

Overall, a really good shave. Have a few French razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this weekend and next week.

F211F50D-0FCA-42CD-964B-240920FB87AA.jpeg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0008 - Edited.jpg

Friday 10.11.19 SOTD
TSE Pre-Shave Oil
Karve Christopher Bradley Gladius OC “C” Plate / Feather (2)
Frank Shaving 26mm x 50mm Silvertip Badger
Fine Fresh Vetiver in a vintage mug
Fine Fresh Vetiver aftershave

DSCF0009 - Edited (1).jpg

Friday OCtober 11

Continuing my shaves through Europe, today I'm using one of my aesthetically favorite razors, the LeCoq Caged Head. I've read that LeCoq may have made multiple versions of this razor; an aggressive version and a milder version. True or not, I've only got one and mine has a lot of exposed blade and is pretty aggressive. With the right shave angle, this shaves really well. Wrong angle, well, its like pealing a peach. Along with my normal picture of all my shave HW and SW, I'll include a profile picture of the caged head with the blade in so you can see the blade exposure. Hopefully this picture turns out ok.

Bowl/Scuttle - PantaRei Starry Night (Sicily, Italy)
Soap - MWF (it's Friday after all)
Brush - PantaRei Starry Night Wood Ed, Silver Tip Badger (Sicily, Italy)
Blade - Feather HI SS (8)
Razor - LeCoq Caged Head (France)

Shave rating 4 of 5

My hand is still bothering me so shaving is still a bit of an issue; I'm not shaving every day. I get my stitches out next Friday, maybe that will help - I can't get it wet, movement is still compromised, and there is still some pain. I can't stretch my skin in my neck area so I am having some problems shaving properly there. I do get to remove my bandages and wrapping tonight and replace with new bandages/wrapping.

I did a 1 pass shave today, WTG and was DFS. I used a very light touch on the razor and there was a lot of blade feel and the shave was very efficient, and my DFS was nearly BBS. Eighth shave with this blade and maybe it's done or near done. The MWF lathered up well but I'm not sure I like this scuttle for bigger brushes. It's a shallow scuttle and I really had to work to keep the lather in the scuttle which seems counterproductive. This scuttle is better with smaller brushes like the Duke 1 or smaller. I had no weepers but the alum was very vocal particularly at my jaw line and in my neck area. Felt the Baum.BE was the best choice to satisfy my skin.

Overall, a pretty good shave. Have a few more French razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this weekend and next week.

60718AEC-02DE-4F06-A08A-C2B3F77D6A80.jpeg
993EA3C7-1375-4F01-950A-979321AA0EE7.jpeg

Saturday OCtober 12

Continuing my shaves through Europe, today I'm using a surprise combination, for myself anyway. It's a L'Essor lather catcher/hoe razor with a GEM SS SE blade. I can't take credit for this idea and I'm sure it's not really original. I saw someone (I don't remember who) post on one of the forums that he combined a DE blade like this with a very similar LeCoq razor so I decided to try it and am I glad I did. Like most lather catchers, this razor takes wedge blades but all of mine are not shave ready and this razor has an adjustment method that allows for the secure use of a GEM type SE blade.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Le Pere Lucien Savon du Barbier (France)
Brush - Simpson Duke 3 Manchurian Badger (Isle of Man)
Blade - GEM SS SE (2)
Razor - L'Essor (France)

Shave rating 5 of 5

I did a 2 pass shave today, first pass was WTG and was DFS. The razor and blade combo was VERY smooth and I felt as if I couldn't put the razor in a position where the blade would cut me. No blade feel and very smooth. Second pass was XTG everywhere but on my neck area and I received a BBS shave. The Le Pere lathered very well and lubricated very well. I had no weepers and the alum was quiet except at my neck area. The Baum.BE was the best choice to satisfy my skin.

Overall, a great shave. I'd prefer using my wedge blades with this and similar razors but this is a good alternative. Have a few more French and English razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this weekend and next week.

5981B474-4132-40D0-AE19-398D767B7C7E.jpeg
919474AA-5485-4971-B5F6-0A3C2D0FFA18.jpeg

Last edited:

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0013 - Edited (2).jpg

Sunday 10.13.19 SOTD
Tcheon Fung Sing DiVino Pre & Post Shave Oil
RazoRock SLOC / Personna Platinum Chrome Israeli Red (2)
Yaqi Ruby Handle 24mm 2-Band Badger
Proraso Red Tub
Tcheon Fung Sing DiVino Pre & Post Shave Oil

DSCF0014 - Edited (3).jpg

Monday OCtober 14

Today I used a razor I've not used before - it kind of scared me a bit. A Palmera with a 6 and a 5 stamped on the razor plate. The Waits Compendium doesn't show this razor, but does show a Palmera model 15 so I'm thinking or hoping this is a model 65. The razor plate on this razor is very slightly curved from side to side and I was concerned the blade would not be held properly. Well, there is a lot of exposed blade but if used carefully, this razor is fine.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Monday)
Brush - ThatDarnRob Masque 26mm V3 Fanchurian
Blade - Feather HI SS (9)
Razor - Palmera 65 (Spain)
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Epsilon Blue A/S (Spain)

Shave rating 5 of 5

I did a one pass shave today, WTG and was DFS+ which surprised me. This razor looks like a cross between a caged head and a long comb. This razor is VERY AGGRESSIVE, very efficient, a lot of exposed blade and a lot of blade feel. I needed to use a very light touch, ride the cap to reduce the blade feel, and I surprised myself with a very good shave save for one nick. Definitely not an every day driver. The MWF lathered and lubricated well. I had the one nick but otherwise the alum was quiet. Epsilon Blue finished off the shave.

Overall, a surprisingly great shave. Have a few more French and English razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this week.

C07130CD-D224-48F5-AEF4-0EC726EF4A2B.jpeg
9EDEFC05-A5F6-481B-957E-A217F21BCF28.jpeg

Monday OCtober 14

Today I used a razor I've not used before - it kind of scared me a bit. A Palmera with a 6 and a 5 stamped on the razor plate. The Waits Compendium doesn't show this razor, but does show a Palmera model 15 so I'm thinking or hoping this is a model 65. The razor plate on this razor is very slightly curved from side to side and I was concerned the blade would not be held properly. Well, there is a lot of exposed blade but if used carefully, this razor is fine.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Monday)
Brush - ThatDarnRob Masque 26mm V3 Fanchurian
Blade - Feather HI SS (9)
Razor - Palmera 65 (Spain)
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Epsilon Blue A/S (Spain)

Shave rating 5 of 5

I did a one pass shave today, WTG and was DFS+ which surprised me. This razor looks like a cross between a caged head and a long comb. This razor is VERY AGGRESSIVE, very efficient, a lot of exposed blade and a lot of blade feel. I needed to use a very light touch, ride the cap to reduce the blade feel, and I surprised myself with a very good shave save for one nick. Definitely not an every day driver. The MWF lathered and lubricated well. I had the one nick but otherwise the alum was quiet. Epsilon Blue finished off the shave.

Overall, a surprisingly great shave. Have a few more French and English razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this week.

View attachment 1025924View attachment 1025925
Nice. Will certainly be on the lookout for one now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tuesday OCtober 15

Today I used one of my favorite razors, a Leresche #54. I particularly like the long open combs on this razor and using this when I've got a week or more of beard growth. But today I'm using this after shaving the day before and the shave was smooooooth. I also started a new blade today, a Gillette Platinum (Swede).

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Caties Bubbles Barnegat Bay (I am from NJ)
Brush - Alpha Outlaw Fanchurian
Blade - Gillette Platinum (1)
Razor - Leresche #54 (France)
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods

Shave rating 5 of 5

I did a two pass shave today; pass 1 WTG and was DFS+, pass 2 XTG was easy BBS. This is a very good and smooth shaving razor and, as noted above, one of my favorites. The Barnegat Bay soap has a nice scent and lathered and lubricated well. I had no nicks or anything close to a weeper - the alum was very quiet. I'm not sure whether the Whiskey Woods compliments the scent of the Barnegat Bay soap or not but I don't really care, I really like the Whiskey Woods.

Overall, a great shave. Tomorrow I'm deviating from my OC focus this month for my birthday shave with my F4 Fatboy. Then I'll be back with a few more French and English razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this week.

BF5D877C-C916-4E39-821A-8DC72AAC1EA5.jpeg

Top Bottom