Pears Transparent Soap face lather and rinse
Schone OC nickel / Shark SS (1)
Yaqi Ferrari Rough Complex Black Boar
Barrister and Mann Barrister's Reserve Spice Shaving Soap
Barrister's Reserve Spice Aftershave Splash​

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Had an excellent shave with not 1 but 2 open combs:
1st pass (WTG) with the GEM "Bumpless" Micromatic Open Comb -- blade was GEM SS PTFE (4)
2nd pass (XTG) with the Sheraton -- blade was Feather (2)
3rd pass (XTG-ATG) back to GEM
Meißner Tremonia Dark Lime soap was lathered with a 24mm synth knot on a JR #270 handle
Finish was with Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum after shave
IMG_2050.jpg

Shave on my Brothers...and may your combs always be open!!!

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0006 - Edited.jpg

Sunday 08.25.19 SOTD

Pears Transparent Soap face lather and rinse
Schone OC gold / Personna Platinum Chrome Israeli Red (2)
Yaqi Ruby Handle Two Band Badger
Proraso Red Tub
Aqua Velva Aftershave (Spanish Version) by Williams​

Flintstone65

One of my favorite Open Combs: The 1919-1921 Autostop (aka Type B2).

Prep: Cold water splash
Blade: Modified GEM SS PTFE (de-spined and "ears" removed)
Razor: AutoStrop (Type B2)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Moka Synth
Soap: George F Trumper's Lime Cream
IMG_2070.jpg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0002 - Edited.jpg

Friday 08.30.19 SOTD
The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Pre-Shave Oil
Schone OC gold / Feather (1)
Yaqi Ruby Handle Two Band Badger
Williams Shaving Soap in a vintage mug
Aqua Velva Aftershave (Spanish Version) by Williams

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0003 - Edited (1).jpg

Friday 09.06.19 SOTD
TSE Pre-Shave Oil
Yaqi R1730 Sagarda Familia Tuxedo synth
RazoRock "What the Puck?!" Orange Sunrise
Italian Barber Amici After Shaving Splash​

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My new infamous Roedter 1909 arrived from the Netherlands. I hear it's fun to shave with. :scared: :w00t: I, for the life of me, can't buy a Fatip that won't align...not even a Roedter.
036_50.jpg
038_50.jpg

I’m not a member of BOTOC but I thought I’d share one of my fav pieces in the rotation. Gillette NEW Short Comb, painted by North Shore Razors. I like this head on my Hempel Ti UFO Wave. Such a wonderful shave, this head NEVER bites

9DA9980B-C2A5-458E-8868-3E9DBCF95A39.jpeg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Piccolo SE
Blade: Lord SS (7)
Brush: Omega S10019
Soap: CRS French Vetiver
Aftershave: Osage Rub
244_50.jpg
I jumped in and snuck a shave in yesterday just to use my CRS French Vetiver. My wife had to work and I was home alone. I don't shave on the weekends due to a promise I made to her. She likes the stubble look. I don't have a photo. If there are no photos it didn't happen right? Just incase my wife reads this. I have plausible deniability. Here is the SOTD for yesterday that may, or may not, have happened. My smooth face was probably a giveaway :wink2: :whistling: :

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Piccolo SE
Blade: Lord SS (6)
Brush: Maggard 22mm Synth
Soap: CRS French Vetiver
Aftershave: Osage Rub

Today's shave on day seven with a Lord SS was fantastic. It's smooth and sharp and it seems like this blade keeps getting better. I always find it curious when the majority of people who review blades always say something like, "I can only get three shaves from x blade. I even got 11 shaves out of a Derby Extra in my Grande, and it still had more life in it.

CRS French Vetiver was a joy to use. It is such a excellent Cream. It is a Vegetal cream, and there is something about the slickness of vegetal that I really like. The slickness is great and it doesn't feel as heavy as a tallow. No worries my tallow soaps I still love you. I just like the feel of the slickness feels better with vegetal based soaps. It was like an old friend.

Here's a shout out to Osage Rub splash, you are really cool! :thumbup1:

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0005 - Edited.jpg

Tuesday 09.17.19 SOTD
RazoRock Essential Oil Of Lime Shave Oil
RazoRock SLOC / Astra SP (1)
Mr. PB24BA-04 Pure Badger
Chiseled Face Sherlock Shaving Soap
Chiseled Face Sherlock Aftershave Splash

DSCF0002 - Edited.jpg

A few of us started teasing Krona Kruiser on this thread about giving up his latest purchase to those of us that truly love Open Combs...so out of just having some fun here on B&B, we formed the Brotherhood of the Open comb.

What is this crazy Brotherhood you ask?

First and foremost, it is a group of B&B members that love open combs. For us, it it not merely one of our choices, but our preferred tool for shaving.

I was asked by a member why the love of OC's?

There are several factors for me....and let me say, as typical, YMMV:001_smile

Aesthetic appeal is one part of the equation. I love the look, and feel of an open comb . When it comes to style and beauty, who can deny the beauty of such razors as the #15, the #20, the Aristocrat De Luxe, a #47,the Richwood, or the 1918 Bulldog. This is only the tip of the iceberg...so many Open Combs..so little time.

Second for me is function. I have several vintage TTO's and a few modern razors. Open comb, either in a vintage flavor, or modern "Hybrids" like the Muhle R41 just simply do a better job on my face, my beard growth patterns, and my hair type. Will it do the same for you?? I don't know the answer to that question, but I do believe there is a Open Comb razor out there for every shaver and every beard type that will out perform any of the guard razors.

Third for me is efficiency. I have very sensitive skin, prone to razor burn, ingrown hairs, etc. I can generally do less passes, and get a better shave with an open comb. Let me dispel the myth that all open combs are much more aggressive. That simply is not true. Many Open combs feel extremely mild on my face. Most would agree a razor such as the 2010 Muhle R41 feels as mild as the DE89. Open comb does not translate as more aggressive...I would encourage all those that haven't tried a open comb to try one. Don't know where to start? I would say start with the Gillette NEW, one of the finest razors ever produced.

So who is membership open to??

Anyone!!

What are the requirements?

Support all post about open combs, give feedback to your brothers.
Make friends with your brothers...PM them..get to know them. We have a great group of guys on B&B in general, and who doesn't like new friends....you see a brother online...drop him a line...see how he's doing!

What else?

I would encourage members to post pics and discuss there open combs in this thread...a combined thread if you will of open combs. A place for easy access of discussions and pics. This is also a great place to discuss techniques, etc.

So show your love of the Open Comb...become a "card carrying member" of the Brotherhood of the Open Comb!
Let's openly discuss, post and share. Make some new friends along they way, and who knows...

I'm thinking we need to have our first annual BOTOC conference and swap meet out in Johnnie's neck of the woods...the cream cheese long johns pushed me over the edge!!

Here is to great shaves my brothers!!!!:thumbup:

I love open combs,my son gave me one a Father's day about a decade (?) ago. Sign me up!

I have serious doubts about my ability to slog through 1200 pages in this thread, but I can get the high points for sure. I will say, some of these pics are stunning. I spent the latter half of my life working in metals and there are some fine examples of science, engineering and glorious aesthetics. Pleasure to be here.
Dave, from the windy plains.

Last edited:
I love open combs,my son gave me one a Father's day about a decade (?) ago. Sign me up!

I have serious doubts about my ability to slog through 1200 pages in this thread, but I can get the high points for sure. I will say, some of these pics are stunning. I spent the latter half of my life working in metals and there are some fine examples of science, engineering and glorious aesthetics. Pleasure to be here.
Dave, from the windy plains.

Welcome aboard. OCtober is getting close! :thumbup1:

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0005 - Edited.jpg

Cleanup shave with vintage gear this afternoon
Warm wash cloth rinse
Gillette ball end NEW LC gold / Gillette Nacet (3)
Vintage Kingsley (Austria) Pure Badger
Fine Fresh Vetiver in a vintage mug
Cool wash cloth rinse

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0005 - Edited (2).jpg

Friday 09.20.19 SOTD

TSE Pre-Shave Oil
Schone OC gold / Gillette Nacet (1)
Yaqi Barber Pole Handle 24mm 2-Band
Arko puck

DSCF0010 - Edited (1).jpg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0006 - Edited (1).jpg

Sunday 9.29.19 SOTD
TSE Pre-Shave Oil
Yaqi R1730 Sagarda Familia Tuxedo synth
Williams Shaving Soap in a vintage mug

DSCF0009 - Edited (1).jpg

Flintstone65

Greetings all,

As you may know, the month that starts with OC is fast approaching. I know many of you have already "signed on" for OCtober, but for those who may not be aware, here is the thread:
I hope to see you all over there!!!

Membership application:

I have and use very often a large OC collection including Gillette, Leresche, LeCoq, Timeless, Gleaner, and more..... a small sample...

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom