What's new

Brotherhood Of the Mild DE Razor (BOTMDER)

Gents, often times when reading in here I can’t help feeling less of a man. Because no, I cannot take ‘9’ on my Fatboy and then complain about it not being efficient. I cannot go 4 passes or more. I cannot use an open comb (I think), beautiful and cool as they are…

In other words – I really like, love and prefer mild razors. I prefer my adjustables om ´3´. I shave with with my Aristocrat for visual kicks, not for ultimate shave feel :nonod:. I love to shave each and every single day, so I am not interested in BBS+ to the bone…

If there is anybody of you out there who’d like to join a brotherhood on this important cause, I hereby propose creating BOTMDER – Brotherhood Of the Mild DE Razor. Are you in…?

Have a great shave day, all!

(PS - If such a brotherhood already exist I apologize for not being able to find it – and would like to ask to join).

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
When I shave with my Fatboy, number 3 is where I put it. This brotherhood seems like a good idea to me.

You have a good idea, Dane.

Gents, often times when reading in here I can’t help feeling less of a man. Because no, I cannot take ‘9’ on my Fatboy and then complain about it not being efficient. I cannot go 4 passes or more. I cannot use an open comb (I think), beautiful and cool as they are…

Some open comb razors, particularly vintage ones, are relatively aggressive, but that's because they were designed to have that characteristic. Open comb does not necessarily equal blood letting device, and a few of the OC razors are exceptionally smooth, like the Gillette New.

I'm not knocking the idea of a club for fans of mild razors here, by the way, just pointing out that shavers shouldn't dismiss the thought of trying an OC because they fear its bite.

Thanks @rabidus - I looked for 'brotherhood' and 'Order' but 'League' slipped my search. Thanks, I am very comforted to know that we mild shavers have a safe haven. I will immediately apply to join and urge others to do the same :thumbup1::yesnod:

And as for Open Combs, thank you @all above for not scaring me away. I might just shoot for that Senator anyway, it looks truly awesome...!

...and for that milder 48-50 Crat!

Last edited:
When it comes to open combs, it is just another way to cut the slots for the stubble to exit. Still the aggressiveness is determined by factors like blade exposure, gap etc.

The biggest advantage of open combs is mostly noticeable among the really mild ones, as open combs allows you to have even smaller gap than safety bar razors without clogging.

Merkur 15C got almost no gap at all and a negative blade exposure. With a true zero pressure, the blade would not even touch the skin. As nobody have a true zero pressure, the skin flexes enough for this razor to shave.

Brotherhood or League- we are of like mind! I do understand the duplicity as I wanted to start a Fellowship of the Fat Handle Tech, but succumbed to the status quo as Tech Tuesday. It still works for me! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I'm in! I have quite a few DE razors. Three piece and TTO (which I prefer). I have a few Parkers, two Gillette Slim Adjustables and a Merkur Futur adjustable among my collection, but my go to de razor are my vintage Lady Gillette Blue Starburst razors. Love them so much I have 3 right now. I find I get a great smooth shave from them, even when using blades I couldn't use with other razors. I get a great irritation free shave with them on my sensitive skin. I love to do a three pass shave and need a mild razor to avoid problems on my neck.
lady gillette-2.jpg

While I like my more efficient/agressive razors, like my Aristocrat, and on occasion, my Old Type, I do appreciate my mild shavers like my Techs and my Blue Tip SS. The Blue Tip really surprised me - while I found that I had to use a good bit more pressure to get it to shave worth a durn, it ended up being a nice, close, and comfortable shave with no irritation. I won't officially be in, but I'll follow along and participate now and then.

As a big fan of the Blue Tip and more recently the Tech I'll certainly be along for the ride. Right now I'm working on seeing how long I can extend a blade's life. As a blade slowly mellows its helpful to crank the adjustable open or move to something more "aggressive."

Great idea! My only question is what is your definition of, "mild?"

1. Is this a particular setting on an adjustable (say <5, <6, something else)?
2. Is this part of a two category system (with mild and aggressive categories)?
3. Is this part of a three category system (with mild, moderate and aggressive categories)?
4. Some other suggestions?

Personally, I consider myself in the mild/moderate category, definitely NOT aggressive!

While I like my more efficient/agressive razors, like my Aristocrat

That's interesting, I find my postwar Tech slightly more efficient than my 46/47 or 48-50 or British 3rd gen Aristocrats. All are my favorites, I don't find any of them aggressive, they're all in the same category for me.

Great idea! My only question is what is your definition of, "mild?"

That's a good question! For me, if it has more blade exposure/feel than my postwar Tech, then it's heading towards aggressive.

Top Bottom