What's new

Brotherhood of the Boar

7E00AD89-C64E-4545-B0C3-4821B1769120.jpeg 13BDCB5B-FAC5-4FB5-8148-2146F8DBF452.jpeg Proraso boar has come out of the fridge and has dried - tips are splitting nicely

Well, two of my vintage boars gave up the ghost, and the third is in a state of easy knot replacement, so I am deliberating re-knotting. While I like good sized (large for most) knots, its ratio is too great, making it floppy for my tastes, and I don't care for choking up and gripping the bristles. I did get a Zenith B25 to add to my stable, sounds better than my sty :)

I also have a custom brush due soon, knotted with an Omega Pro 10098 knot!

Omega 10098 & Zenith B25 (1).jpg
WIN_20190113_07_20_01_Pro.jpg

I love my boar brushes.
Started out with a badger brush from the van der Hagen shave kit but that didn’t last long.
I tried to experiment with badgers/synthetic. While I do love my synthetic, I just can’t live without my boar.

I have an Omega 10049, a Semogue 620 (which I loved but now trying to sell) and my favorite now is Omega 10065.

The Omega 10049 was great, but it was just too big. I feel the 10065 fits in my hand perfectly.

Last edited:

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I mushed some Arko shave soap into a bowl that I use to work up a great lather with
a tiny vintage Kent K31 boar brush.

DSCF1111 - Edited.jpg

Should have a new boat arriving Tuesday: an Omega 10049 Pro. This will be my fourth boat, and I’m really excited for it, because it brings balance to my collection!

Currently, I have a Semogue 620, and a B&B Essential (purple handle). Both are similar in size (the Essential has a higher loft, but they’re similar in diameter). My other boar is a Semogue 2000, which is probably my favorite; it’s big and has plenty of backbone for digging into soap, but the tips rival my silvertip in softness. I’m hoping the 10049 will be similar. I’m have two Omegas and 2 Semogues, and big and one small of each. Perfect!

I tried to search through this thread and other threads but couldn’t find a clear answer for those that own a whipped dog boar brush. I also couldn’t find that many reviews for whipped dog boar brush reviews.

What would be the advantage to setting it deeper? And what is the general consensus for standard loft versus setting it deeper?

For me, I want my boar to splay but not too much. Somewhere between the splay of a Semogue and an omega?

I don’t have the Whipped Dog boar, but I do have a Whipped Dog Silvertip. The thinking with the badgers at the time was to have them set deeper if you plan to face lather, to give the brush a bit more backbone. I imagine it’s the same for the boars.

With that being said, mine is at the standard depth/loft, and I face lather with it, and it does just fine. Since boars seem to have more backbone than badgers anyway, I can’t imagine there’d be much need to have it set deeper.

I don’t have the Whipped Dog boar, but I do have a Whipped Dog Silvertip.

I have the WD high mountain set deeper and feel that I could have gone by without setting it 5mm deeper. It’s still a wonderful brush and I use it exclusively to face lather.

I have the WD high mountain set deeper and feel that I could have gone by without setting it 5mm deeper. It’s still a wonderful brush and I use it exclusively to face lather.
E-mail Larry and tell him a boar bush you like, or "Somewhere between the splay of a Semogue and an omega", and ask him what he recommends.

I’ve been using a Semogue 620 on and off for quite sometime and it’s getting very soft. Even though not all the hairs have split ends.
I have an omega 10065 with the hairs having split ends (I let it soak in cold water for 3 days to break in) but it’s not as soft yet. I’ve only been using the omega on and off for less than a month.

For those that have omega and Semogue, is one softer than the other after they are broken in?

Top Bottom