What's new

Brotherhood of the Boar

IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0199.JPG
I am the proud owner of two Semogues, the 1470 and the 1800, pictured here. Still breaking in the 1800, but they are both fantastic brushes. I humbly request membership in the brotherhood.

Welcome to BOTB @stevedi! Those are two excellent brushes! Do you face lather or bowl lather, or both? I am a bowl latherer myself. I started off with a SOC boar with the cherrywood handle and it is now my favorite brush bar none! :thumbup1:

ps - don't forget to add BOTB to your signature...

Welcome to BOTB @stevedi! Those are two excellent brushes! Do you face lather or bowl lather, or both? I am a bowl latherer myself. I started off with a SOC boar with the cherrywood handle and it is now my favorite brush bar none! :thumbup1:

ps - don't forget to add BOTB to your signature...
Thanks Phil! I usually bowl lather, which is why I added the larger 1800 recently. Still breaking it in but I love it already! The 1470 is great too, and broken in nice. I use it to face lather when I feel like it, especially when I travel since I don't bring a bowl with me. I may have to add an SOC one day too!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My current favorite boar is a still not fully broken in Semoque SOC cherry.

I'm breaking this newest boar in by soaking the SOC for a few minutes on days when I do not shave with it, and then rubbing the bristles on a towel for several minutes, mimicking bowl and face lathering, and then air drying the brush. More and more ends are splitting, and the brush is becoming more comfortable.

My first boar was an Omega 80266 which came with a nice stand.
Omega.jpg
Sorry for the stock photo. I'm a lousy photographer. The Omega was a good shaver with minimal break in.

On order from Portugal is a Semoque Excelsior 830. Without a doubt it will be the last shaving brush I ever buy.

Shaving isn't my only hobby. I am also in the part-time business of selling swamp land. In addition, I have for your consideration shares in the Golden Gate Bridge. Discounts for cash.

I have acquired no badgers, but I'll admit to also enjoying the synthetics. I hope that doesn't disqualify me from membership here.

I love my boars.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Welcome to BOTB, Jim! The SOC Boar (I have one in Cherry also) is not only my favorite boar brush, but my favorite shaving brush bar none, and that includes several quality badger brushes. And when I say my favorite, I mean that if I could have only one brush it would be the SOC boar.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

I used to love boars. Semogue boars especially. Then my badgers outshined them. I sold off all my boars. Last Christmas I purchased a Proraso/Omega brush for my brother in law, and I grabbed one for myself. This was my first Omega boar brush. That is an awesome brush and I love boar brushes again. I prefer Omega knots over Semogues. But Semogues have better handles. Regardless, here is my humble application to The Botherhood of the Boar.

Left to Right

vintage Fuller restored with Omega 10290 knot
Omega 48
Antica Barbieria Colla
Rudy Vey with Zenith boar knot
View attachment 652871
I used to love boars. Semogue boars especially. Then my badgers outshined them. I sold off all my boars. Last Christmas I purchased a Proraso/Omega brush for my brother in law, and I grabbed one for myself. This was my first Omega boar brush. That is an awesome brush and I love boar brushes again. I prefer Omega knots over Semogues. But Semogues have better handles. Regardless, here is my humble application to The Botherhood of the Boar.

Left to Right

vintage Fuller restored with Omega 10290 knot
Omega 48
Antica Barbieria Colla
Rudy Vey with Zenith boar knot
View attachment 652871
Have you still got the Antica Barbieria Colla brush? Do you like it? I bought one a year ago but didn't use it because I wasn't sure I'd keep it. Then, I discovered Zenith and Mondial boars and found them terrific. All this spending made me sign up for the 2017 sabbatical, which i'm doing well at keeping. So a month ago I finally took the ABC boar from the closet and began breaking it in. I think it is a very fine brush, cost aside. If you still have yours I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Have you still got the Antica Barbieria Colla brush? Do you like it? I bought one a year ago but didn't use it because I wasn't sure I'd keep it. Then, I discovered Zenith and Mondial boars and found them terrific. All this spending made me sign up for the 2017 sabbatical, which i'm doing well at keeping. So a month ago I finally took the ABC boar from the closet and began breaking it in. I think it is a very fine brush, cost aside. If you still have yours I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I fell out of boars again. Of the four pictured, I only kept the Fuller with Omega knot and the ABC boar. It is a fantastic brush. I only use them when I am feeling "Italian". Lol!! Just when I use an Italian soft soap like Cella or Proraso. It only seems right to use a boar with those soaps. Although the Fuller does really well with triple milled soaps, so I use it with Valobra.

I have read that the ABC was made by Zenith. An aluminum Zenith being around a third of the price. The Zenith I had pictured in the RV handle was different to the ABC. The ABC seemed denser and softer. I believe I did a review, but not sure. The Zenith I used was out of a black plastic handle. Maybe the aluminum handle versions are like the ABC. I would not know as I haven't tried one.

I have noticed that if I do not use it for some time, a bristle will break. I thought it was shedding, but the bristle was too short. Two days of use and it wont lose a bristle. Maybe the dryness makes the bristles brittle?

How do yo like yours?

Thanks for your reply, @azwetshaver . I like the ABC brush. It was far too much money, but at least I know that I own the most expensive boar in the world! I too had read that it was a Zenith brush but it isn't. It's actually made by Mondial. They sell the same brush under their own label for less than $30. I'll try to put up some photos later. You won't be able to tell the Mondial and the ABC apart.

Thanks for your reply, @azwetshaver . I like the ABC brush. It was far too much money, but at least I know that I own the most expensive boar in the world! I too had read that it was a Zenith brush but it isn't. It's actually made by Mondial. They sell the same brush under their own label for less than $30. I'll try to put up some photos later. You won't be able to tell the Mondial and the ABC apart.
Really? I have read reviews with plenty of people stating it was a Zenith. The handles appear similar but as mentioned I do not have one to compare.

I bought mine second hand so I am not in it for the full amount. It actually knocked me out of the sabbatical a few years ago.

Very interesting about the Mondial. I've wondered about Mondial shave soaps. I saw a Kg block of a Citrus scented soap that would seem nice.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Ah, my newest brush has arrived from Portugal.

830.jpg

Yes, it is the beautiful Semoque 830. I believe it to be one of the company's top brushes in terms of the quality of the boar used in its construction.

It is still in the process of being broken in prior to shaving. My guess is most guys would use it directly out of the box. I like to see a good many split ends before letting a new boar have much of a chance with my face and neck.

The brush is fairly small especially compared to my SOC boar and my RazoRock Monster (synthetic), but it's still a nice size. Just holding it in my hand I realize that the handle feels exactly right.

I bought the 830 because it is so beautiful (and I was right, it really is very good looking), and because of the quality of the boar. The picture does not do it justice.

3.png

Also, of course, because a guy can't have enough really good boar brushes. In my opinion, three is the absolute minimum because I want all my brushes to have time to completely dry before I use them again, and maybe I might decide some day to shave twice so two boars is not enough.

Yes, I know, I know...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wake up guys. :)

I have only a brush right now, a boar one of course. I think this brush can last a lot. It's a Proraso Pro, made by Omega. I think I like this brush a lot and I am thinking to get a Zenith some times later just to see how good it can be. Badgers can wait for their cost.

20180226_183203-jpg.863508

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wake up guys. :)

I have only a brush right now, a boar one of course. I think this brush can last a lot. It's a Proraso Pro, made by Omega. I think I like this brush a lot and I am thinking to get a Zenith some times later just to see how good it can be. Badgers can wait for their cost.

The Proraso is a nice brush. I've got one Zenith and will get at least one or two more.

That is a very nice Proraso Pro! :thumbup1: Thanks for sharing and thanks for waking up this thread.

Here is the latest addition to my Boar family. An Omega 21762 Professional.

tOfeuU6.jpg

My first brush was a badger. Second was a synthetic. Rest have been Boars. In order.

Unknown Vintage
Vintage boar brush.jpg
Omega Pro 10098
Omega 10098 wet.jpg
Luxury 10-5
Luxury 10-5.JPG
Klenzo B 1053
Klenzo B1053.JPG

I'm in the Boar Brush club, I use my Proraso boar brush everyday, it came in this starter/travel kit I bought when I first got into this new way to shave.

proxy.php

This is my Semogue 830, the boar brush that started it all for me, along with my latest acquisitions. I also have a couple of SOC which are not with me at the moment but that I really enjoy using. It's been quite a while since I used my badger brushes as I have so much fun with the boar ones. Can I join?

P80924-115038 (1).jpg

Attachments

• P80924-115038 (1).jpg
    P80924-115038 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Top Bottom