What's new

Brooks Brothers

I've never purchased from them, so I figured To buy a pair of slacks.
They apparently don't sell slacks in a larger size. I'm a little on the pudgy side. But a reputable place should carry all size's yes?:blink: they don't want my business it seems. Too bad.:mad3:

Not sure what you would like us to comment. But I have never had any issues finding sizes there, I am a 36-40 waist and have never had an issue. I'm sorry that you weren't able to find your size in the store. Though from working in retail for 20 years and clothing for 16 of that, it's virtually impossible to carry every size in every garment in a store. There is only so much room.

I could not find any slack above a 44, I needed 46. They seem too prefer smaller sized individuals.

I wear 44-46 slacks. Real hard to find, Penneys has a "Big & Tall" section, about 5 feet of wall space in my local store. Needed a new jacket and slacks last week, one jacket and two slacks was the choice. Ha. Good thing I don't have to "dress up" very often, 511 tacticals, and a 2X cowboy shirt covers my daily needs.

I notice the numbers of us pudgy, not quite fat, gents in the stores, yet the selection is primarily for the malnourished.

The Brooks Brothers of old would have had them. Not anymore. Brooks Brothers was sold twice in the late 80s and have deteriorated from the superb men's clothier they once were. Very sad. They used to stand for tradition and quality, and they've become one more high end marketing based box store. I have some classic Brooks Brothers button-down shirts from the late 70s and early 80s, and the quality and style of their new offerings pale in comparison.

Sorry for the rant. Anyway, if you want larger sizes, Dillard's has the best big & tall section I've seen.

I dont know what to say other than if you didn't get good service, take your business elsewhere.

The ready to wear clothing industry does not really tailor (pun intended) to exceptional body types. Retail stores also tend to carry less stock of the largest and smallest sizes. Kind of like a bell curve. So you kind of have 2 things working against you there.

I worked at a sporting goods store in high school. We didn't really carry that many size 15 shoes. Did we cater to people with small feet? No, but the owner didn't want to get stuck with 20 pairs of size 15 shoes from the last season. We either sold them out quickly, or they were the ones that ended up on the clearance rack.

The Brooks Brothers of old would have had them. Not anymore. Brooks Brothers was sold twice in the late 80s and have deteriorated from the superb men's clothier they once were. Very sad. They used to stand for tradition and quality, and they've become one more high end marketing based box store. I have some classic Brooks Brothers button-down shirts from the late 70s and early 80s, and the quality and style of their new offerings pale in comparison.

Sorry for the rant. Anyway, if you want larger sizes, Dillard's has the best big & tall section I've seen.

I've always considered BB a little above my price range so I've gone to Jos A Bank. They have taken a departure also. I don't know about size ranges, but you can't find a traditional cut suit anymore. That is the cut I much prefer, and their salespeople say that 80% of their client base feels the same way. Here in , Memphis, we only get the 'slim cut' or another cut that is even more high fashion.

I can go up a size and make a slim do, but it does not fit or hang as well. I started buying their suits when they were only in Baltimore, and I had to get them mail order. This is truly a change I hate to see.

Regards,

Ron I

I am on the "robust" end of the scale and I have no problem shopping at Brooks Brothers

I'm assuming that you're experience is limited to "in-store", but I think you would have more success with ordering from the online catalog. If you were looking for something in a larger size, with a full or cut, I would suggest the Madison fit.

I wear a size 40, and I find that the Regent fit to be perfect. Also, I find that in the sales section - I can do real well with the mohair or gabardine trousers

Jos A Banks has more "in-store" selection, but the fit of the trousers varies greatly

I only buy underwear from Brooks Brothers. They are excellent IMO. I buy my slacks, dockers from Macy's. Free shipping and great prices. Good luck.

Yep. Totally spot on. Kind of like Williams soap. The current version is but a pale imitation of the real thing.

I've been a Brooks' customer for over 50 years (purchased my 1st suit there with my grandfather in 1964 at age 13). I've shopped mostly at their flagship store on Madison Avenue here in New York, although in recent years, also online. There have certainly been significant changes over the years, which have accelerated as they've attempted to broaden their customer base. When I first bought suits or blazers, there was one fit and it was their traditional "sack" profile. This went for the shirts as well. Now they offer many fitments across the various garments, which is a good thing, as tastes and shapes vary widely. I usually try to buy when they have a sale, but at my age there is precious little I need. When thinking about quality, it's important to recognize they are catering to a spectrum of customers at varying price points. Just looking now, if you want a plain white button down shirt, they are available from ~$70 to $185 (full retail) and from my experience, there is a material qualitative difference between these levels. I haven't been disappointed with their better shirts. Suits (not including the made to measure) currently run between $500 to $2,500, with their $1,200 suit the mainstay. This is likely too high a price-point for most shoppers but on an inflation adjusted basis, a bit cheaper than 40 years ago. Again, it's always better to wait for the sales. As for the $2,500 suit, there are many made to measure options at or well below that price. While they've closed their NYC store, for those interested in the classic fit and look of the Brooks Brothers of old, J. Press out of New Haven (with satellite stores in Cambridge & DC) is an excellent choice.

I've been a Brooks' customer for over 50 years (purchased my 1st suit there with my grandfather in 1964 at age 13). I've shopped mostly at their flagship store on Madison Avenue here in New York, although in recent years, also online. There have certainly been significant changes over the years, which have accelerated as they've attempted to broaden their customer base. When I first bought suits or blazers, there was one fit and it was their traditional "sack" profile. This went for the shirts as well. Now they offer many fitments across the various garments, which is a good thing, as tastes and shapes vary widely. I usually try to buy when they have a sale, but at my age there is precious little I need. When thinking about quality, it's important to recognize they are catering to a spectrum of customers at varying price points. Just looking now, if you want a plain white button down shirt, they are available from ~$70 to $185 (full retail) and from my experience, there is a material qualitative difference between these levels. I haven't been disappointed with their better shirts. Suits (not including the made to measure) currently run between $500 to $2,500, with their $1,200 suit the mainstay. This is likely too high a price-point for most shoppers but on an inflation adjusted basis, a bit cheaper than 40 years ago. Again, it's always better to wait for the sales. As for the $2,500 suit, there are many made to measure options at or well below that price. While they've closed their NYC store, for those interested in the classic fit and look of the Brooks Brothers of old, J. Press out of New Haven (with satellite stores in Cambridge & DC) is an excellent choice.

I just bought some J. Press stuff on sale. They are very nice quality.

I've never purchased from them, so I figured To buy a pair of slacks.
They apparently don't sell slacks in a larger size. I'm a little on the pudgy side. But a reputable place should carry all size's yes?:blink: they don't want my business it seems. Too bad.:mad3:

Try these guys:
https://www.thehubltd.com/

Look at Berle pants. They offer an even bigger selection than on berle.com.

Top Bottom