What's new

Brooks Brothers (or the like) Shirts

I currently have an assortment of brands from JCPenny that are starting to wear out, and I was thinking of replacing them with Brooks Brothers shirts as I've heard good things about quality. Even though they are a steeper in price than what I have now I feel like it'd be a better investment.

I wanted to get a consensus on the fit of Brooks Brothers shirts. I've read that the Slim fit is really not a slim fit, and have seen some threads stating that someone like me, 5' 10' about 200 lbs, should be purchasing the slim fit. Is this accurate?

Also, if there are any other factors I should consider let me know.

Thanks

It depends on how you carry your weight. If you're 5'10" 200 lbs and muscular you'd want to look at the extra-slim shirts, if not then the slim fit would likely be the better choice. What's your chest-waist drop (difference in inches between your chest size and waist size)? That should give a pretty good picture of the direction you'll want to go.

I'm 6' 160 lbs and lean as anything and the extra slim is still a bit big in the waist (nothing a tailor can't fix), then again I have a 10-11" drop so very little fits me off the rack.

B

broseph

As another data point, I'm approximately 5'10" and 140lb. The slim weren't slim on me at all, and even the extra-slim are a bit big in the waist. They are the best fit I've seen for an off-the-shelf shirt on me, though.

I like Brooks Brothers and they're American tradition for clothing for men. For literary reference, "Goodbye Columbus", talked about packing BB shirt. However, even if you want to like BB, sometimes different brand fits better than others. Nordstrom shirts fit me like a glove.

I have big shoulders and a slimmer waist and the BB slim fit is great for me. However, I think the Nordstrom brand shirts are better material and fit me better than the BB shirts. I was a BB shirt guy but am now switching to Nordstrom brand. :thumbup1:

I like my dress shirts loose anyway, so I can't help on the fit, but I will say the BB no-iron dress shirts are the best I've seen for wear and for looking sharp and wrinkle free right out of the dryer. I believe you get your money's worth with these shirts. They go on sale several times a year.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Now is a good time to act ... everyone has their sales going. But act fast.

I'd suggest getting one BB slim and one BB extra-slim, and doing the same from one or two (or three) other shirtmakers, and seeing which you prefer in person. Charles Tyrwhitt seems a pretty standard option, and maybe TM Lewin as well or something similar.

That will be enough shirts to get you through the next 6 months ... enough time to pick a favourite, and wait for the next end-of-season sales in July/August.

I like Brooks Bros shirts very much and the new fittings of slim and extra-slim certainly fit many men a lot better that their traditional very full cut. Try the better shirts at Joe Banks. They are made in the same factory is BB and I've found them to be remarkably good shirts.
Just wait for a typical J Bank sale--buy one get 15 - you've heard the adds. Serioulsy, the staff a Joe Banks stores is usually very helpful and they have slimmer cuts also.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
You gotta put some Brooks Brothers button-down polos with the roll collar in your collection. A true classic. :thumbup1:

I wanted to get a consensus on the fit of Brooks Brothers shirts. I've read that the Slim fit is really not a slim fit, and have seen some threads stating that someone like me, 5' 10' about 200 lbs, should be purchasing the slim fit. Is this accurate? Thanks

Yes, I'm the same height and weight as you and I wear the BB slim fit shirts.

I wanted to get a consensus on the fit of Brooks Brothers shirts. I've read that the Slim fit is really not a slim fit, and have seen some threads stating that someone like me, 5' 10' about 200 lbs, should be purchasing the slim fit. Is this accurate? Thanks

Yes, I'm the same height and weight as you and I wear the BB slim fit shirts. I'm not a fan of JAB products.

I'm 5'10" and about 180 lbs - with larger shoulders that I might consider a bit muscular. I can only wear the slim fit shirts, but my neck is only a 15.5. The regular shirts are huge, and the extra slim fit may be ok for going out, but not for the office. I'd certainly recommend the 3 for xxx offer, and try some. Maybe only wear the first one for a few weeks and washings to make sure is the right fit. If not, you can exchange the others for a better size.

What is it that makes you prefer BB over JAB?

I've never had good luck at JAB...even though the shirts are said to be made at the same plant, the JAB shirts seem to be of a lesser quality, IMO. I've had BB shirts that last on average 3 years vs. JAB that normally last a year at most. Plus, since I buy more than just dress shirts, I find that BB products in general to be a better product, this includes suits, shoes, ties, sweaters, etc. Overall products, not just dress shirts.

I've never had good luck at JAB...even though the shirts are said to be made at the same plant, the JAB shirts seem to be of a lesser quality, IMO. I've had BB shirts that last on average 3 years vs. JAB that normally last a year at most. Plus, since I buy more than just dress shirts, I find that BB products in general to be a better product, this includes suits, shoes, ties, sweaters, etc. Overall products, not just dress shirts.

One year lifetime? Wow, I bought my entire wardrobe about 5 years ago when I got my first job. They're just now wearing out.

I have JAB store a couple blocks from my house and refuse to go in the store. I just don't like their merchandise.
There is no question that BB and JAB are in different leagues. I've worn BB, Southwick, and H Freeman for years and their stuff lasts forever, fits great, feels great and looks great. JAB is what it is-a relatively inexpensive traditional men's store usually with good tailoring available (our local store has great tailoring, I bring non-JAB stuff to her to do) with a selection of serious, more traditionally styled clothing for the man starting out, man on a budget, or someone who just wants to freshen up a wardrobe with some things that won't last forever. That said, their better shirts get good reviews and my experience has been that they serve well. Will they last as long a some of my BB or Huntington's that I've worn for 20 years? No. Will they give respectable service for the money paid-I think so. Do I wish their stuff was still made in the USA-like Southwick and H Freeman-you bet. then again, the new BB shirts are made in Thailand, not long Long Island City, NY. But that's a whole other story.:glare::mad3:

Last edited:
There is no question that BB and JAB are in different leagues. I've worn BB, Southwick, and H Freeman for years and their stuff lasts forever, fits great, feels great and looks great.

I've never heard of Southwick or H Freeman, Hickey Freeman yes, but I looked at their website and they look like they make some really nice quality merchandise. Will have to search them out. Thanks.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the sport shirts fit the same as the dress shirts with regards to slim fit/regular fit?

Thanks

Top Bottom