What's new

brookes and crookes sheffield wedge

After some info on the above razor, its on da bay, its got some hone wear and on the close up pics some uneven
Hone wear, but I can't find any info on these razors
Any help appreciated
Thanks
Colin

BROOKES & CROOKES
Atlantic Works, Sheffield
ca. 1864 to at least 1919

That's all I can find. But they should be good.

In business from 1858 to 1947. Founded by John Brookes and Thomas Crookes. Later the firm consisted of Thomas Crookes, William Westby, and Herbert and Willis Crookes. Made all types of cutlery and Bowie-type knives. Abridged from Goins Encyclopaedia of Cutlery Markings.

They employed far less workers than any of the giants like Joseph Rogers, but won the only gold award at the 1867 Paris exhibition.

I've had a couple - both had what looked like uneven hone wear but was really just a fluctuating width along the spine. They seem to pit quite easily (these were old ones) but restore quite well - here's a pic of the Bell trademark on one of mine:

proxy.php

Regards,
Neil

thanks neil i was looking at a nice wedge on da bay, but got called out at work and missed it:mad: oh well keep an eye out for somthing nice for me mate:001_rolle is that a full hollow above? i really like the Jos Smith & Sons you have,that i looked at, tempted!

Last edited:
thanks neil i was looking at a nice wedge on da bay, but got called out at work and missed it:mad: oh well keep an eye out for somthing nice for me mate:001_rolle is that a full hollow above? i really like the Jos Smith & Sons you have,that i looked at, tempted!

**** da bay. Only crap razors in need of serious work is sold there. Or else the razor ends up going for massive amounts of cash that it probably isn't worth.

Top Bottom