What's new

Broken in boar with no split ends

That's what I was trying to determine in this thread; How boars break in Posts 1 and 5. To my recollection you are the first person to confirm my thoughts.

I noticed those curls in my croaps after loading. I couldn't figure out how such thin small bits came off, I thought it's whole tips being broken off. Interesting how they got stuck in the pasty croaps. They probably float in my lather when using hard pucks.

That's what I was trying to determine in this thread; How boars break in Posts 1 and 5. To my recollection you are the first person to confirm my thoughts.

I've noticed it starting in my oldest boar. Just a few so far though. I mentioned it here: [URL="https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/boar-brushes-what-makes-the-hair-split-faster.414664/page-2#post-10326670"]Boar brushes: what makes the hair split faster?[/URL]

In your thread "How boars break in" my brushes were too new to have started loosing parts of the splits.

Cut or trimmed boar bristles will not split to my knowledge. On some brushes the shape is achieved by trimming the bristle, your might be one. I only have Omega boar brushes and they all split nicely without a lot of effort. A boar that does not break in with splits ends is not any good, at least to me.

Cut or trimmed boar bristles will not split to my knowledge. On some brushes the shape is achieved by trimming the bristle, your might be one. I only have Omega boar brushes and they all split nicely without a lot of effort. A boar that does not break in with splits ends is not any good, at least to me.
No, there is evidence that the bristles split and then one side of the split broke off on most. The brush tips are quite soft.

OK there is definitely something about my use, care, water, freq of use, etc that causes one side of the split to break off and leave single tapered bristles.

I have a 10th Anniversary B&B Boar that I've used almost exclusively and daily for the last six months. The brush is very soft and broken in and on close inspection there are hardly any split bristles though almost all of the bristles come to finely tapered points. There were way more split ends visible after the first few uses than there are now.

I have a couple boar brushes that do not appear to have any split hairs but are still nice brushes. My Semogue SOC is one and I've heard it's pretty common for those not to split. They seem to be a finer hair than my Omegas have. The other one that hasn't split is a VDH and the hairs on it seem to be fine too, much like the Semogue. On the face it feels a bit like the Semogue too. They're both as soft as most badgers I've got. I had another VDH and it was pretty horrible so I'm not saying they are good brushes. I think I just got a little lucky with one of them.

Some boars are stubborn horses ! While there is a possibility that weaker splits have broken off and left tapered end but if this is happening to every single bristle then I will not factor that situation.
Some boars just refuse to start and split, some need help and some need to be taken hard to task. I had a cheap omega non starter and even a daily wet-rub-dry cycle of 1 month could not make it happen. When brush scraping on a wet type abrasive sheet failed; i just tossed it and moved to a well behaved brush.
Boars are cheap.

Anybody tried breaking a brush in on sandpaper?
I have tried it on a cheap Omega and Omega 20102. Cheap omega was a non starter and remained one in spite of attempts to induce split end by rubbing on a wet type sandpaper. 20102 had too tall a loft and experimentally I cut it down. This brush too did not respond to sandpaper abrasion.

Top Bottom