What's new

Broken in boar with no split ends

I have an Omega 10104 that I won in a drawing and have been using almost exclusively for over 5 years. It was used and broken in when I got it.

Looking at the bristles with a loupe, there are hardly any split ends. Like it takes a while to even find one. The tips are tapered to a point are very soft. I would buy this brush again in a second. I just wonder if the replacement would break in the same way.

Anyone else have a broken in boar with few splits?

Do you have any other omegas? I just looked at my omega 10098 through a loupe and in natural light with my eye (so hard to see after the age of 40 jeez), and it has many fine split ends that split 3-4mms and kind of look like single hairs.

No, the 10104 is my only Omega. I can follow individual bristles down from the tip with my 10x loupe and no splits.

I have seen much splitting on other boar brushes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Pictures?

I don't. My understanding is this might mean the ends of the bristles were trimmed. Obviously you like the brush, right?

Maybe it will develop split ends as you use it more.

upload_2019-2-25_12-32-6.jpeg

Happy shaves,

Jim

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
It could be that the knot came from a boar that was raised in the southern hemisphere. That means you are either using it wrong (try making lather while swirling in the opposite direction you do now) or that the tips are actually embedded in the glue knot.

If you've ever seen old well used boars they get shorter lofts over time. The splits break off leaving finer tips which themselves break off after time.

It could be that the knot came from a boar that was raised in the southern hemisphere. That means you are either using it wrong (try making lather while swirling in the opposite direction you do now) or that the tips are actually embedded in the glue knot.
LOL. That is funny!

If you've ever seen old well used boars they get shorter lofts over time. The splits break off leaving finer tips which themselves break off after time.

Nice to know. I was going to comment that I had several vintage boars didn't split. But the one vintage brush that I actually trimmed (the horror) less than a week ago is already starting to split. All my new boars had started splitting upon first use.

I have an Omega Pro 10098 that I broke in using Very hot water (just short of boiling); it is loaded with split ends and is very soft, but has tremendous backbone.

I also have a Barbershop brand boar made in Austria that is nearly 40 years old. It is quite soft, but has few split ends, but I believe the loft is less than when new. So what dundak indicated may be true.

Very interesting. I suppose that this is a possibility. To my knowledge the boar bristle is not tapered to a point on the boar like a badger hair is, so the pointed tips on my boar would have to be a wear artifact.

I have a Van Der Hagen boar brush that I used for about a month straight. It has more of the plastic-looking bristles than split end boar bristles. I believe it's either a low quality boar knot or a clipped boar knot, making it harder to have split ends.

On the other hand, my Omega 10098, like the pic in my profile, has split ends like no other after couple weeks. Great brush and it already feels really soft. It might be just that knot but all my Omega's break in really easily after couple weeks.

I have a couple of boars that seem like they don't want to split ends. So I looked up "split hairs" in general and these are factors that cause splitting
  • improper detangling,
  • brushing wet hair
  • excessive blow drying
  • Chemical treatments
  • Overuse of heat tools
  • extra dry hair
  • sun
Any additions to this list?

I have an Omega 10104 that I won in a drawing and have been using almost exclusively for over 5 years. It was used and broken in when I got it.

Looking at the bristles with a loupe, there are hardly any split ends. Like it takes a while to even find one. The tips are tapered to a point are very soft. I would buy this brush again in a second. I just wonder if the replacement would break in the same way.

U have a very special boar. Its so well used n weathered most if not all of the split ends have split leaving only the singles around.
That or they've split all the way to the base :001_07:.

My semogue 1800 has some hairs split into 3s 2/3 of the way through.

U have a truly singular brush.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I have an Omega 10098 that is completely broken in. It is every bit as soft as a silvertip badger, yet has great backbone. When the brush was new, I boiled a pot of water and then removed the pot from the heat and let the water cool off for a few minutes. The water may have been 185 degrees F or so. Then I dipped the tips of the brush into the hot water for about 1 second or less and pulled it out. As soon as the bristles touch the hot water, they go limp. I let the tips cool down for about 15-20 seconds and then repeated the process several times until the tips split. The entire process only took a few minutes. Be careful not to dip more than about 1/2" of the bristles into the water or you will damage the bristles when you only want to damage the tips.

I have tried the same process on Semogue boar brushes, but it does not seem to be as effective; the Semogue bristles are different than Omega.
When doing this, there is a risk to doing permanent damage to the brush. Thus, I would never do this on any brush that I would hate to destroy. The Omega 10098 was only $15, so the risk was manageable.

U have a truly singular brush.
Mawashi
Well, with all the possible variations of lathering motions, water quality, shaving frequency, humidity, not to mention variation in the starting bristles. I'd say that most boars turn into singular brushes.

I have an Omega 10098 that is completely broken in. It is every bit as soft as a silvertip badger, yet has great backbone. When the brush was new, I boiled a pot of water and then removed the pot from the heat and let the water cool off for a few minutes. The water may have been 185 degrees F or so. Then I dipped the tips of the brush into the hot water for about 1 second or less and pulled it out. As soon as the bristles touch the hot water, they go limp. I let the tips cool down for about 15-20 seconds and then repeated the process several times until the tips split. The entire process only took a few minutes. Be careful not to dip more than about 1/2" of the bristles into the water or you will damage the bristles when you only want to damage the tips.

I have tried the same process on Semogue boar brushes, but it does not seem to be as effective; the Semogue bristles are different than Omega.
When doing this, there is a risk to doing permanent damage to the brush. Thus, I would never do this on any brush that I would hate to destroy. The Omega 10098 was only $15, so the risk was manageable.

I didn't dare use hot water cos of fear of hurting the glue.

Instead I did a modified MBBM on it.

A couple of rubber bands made the knot tight enough that I could apply some pressure on the tips.
IMG-20190708-WA0023.jpeg

And got this in about 20 mins.
IMG-20190708-WA0021.jpeg

Nicely split and fuzzy ends.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I didn't dare use hot water cos of fear of hurting the glue.

Hot water did not get anywhere near the glue on my 10098. The loft on the brush is 65 mm and I did not dip more than 10 mm of the tips into the water. However, if your method worked as well, that gives folks another alternative to try.

Regarding the OP. I believe the tips have split but the brush is well used, so most weaker spliced curls have broken off.
Yes, this is what seems to be the case. Interesting that my B&B boar broke in the same way. Must be something about my lathering habits, daily use, water, etc.

My lathering bowl is the mortar bowl from a mortar and pestle set. Since the original purpose of the bowl was for grinding, the inside is a little like sandpaper. During lathering, the brush receives enough abrasion to keep the tips refreshed, but eventually, the brush will wear out. If I were using a single brush daily, that might be an issue, but with several brushes in rotation, they will outlive me.

Top Bottom