What's new

Broken HD. What's next?

While screwing the handle to the head of my 4 year old Merkur HD, the screw part broke right off the cap. I've read all about the caveats of pot metal but never thought this would happen to a razor that seemed this durable. I only use my HD about once a week, so we are talking about a razor that has less than 300 shaves on it.

I contacted Anne at Merkur and she suggested I contact a third party US based repair/replacement company. Surprisingly there was no offer of a free replacement head, only an offer to buy a new one.

I really liked the shaves the HD gave. I was considering an EJ DE89 but read similar stories about them breaking as well.

Is there a current in production chrome over brass razor that shaves like the HD? I was looking some of the razors Joe at IB has to offer, but all the chrome over brass razors are TTO which I am not a fan of. The Feather AS is very nice, but out of my price league.

I wouldn't be against getting a vintage Gillette (I would almost prefer it). Which one(s) shaves the most like a HD? I am looking for middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness. I don't know that much about vintage razors.

Thanks guys!

$broken_hd.jpg

I don't know of a source for just the cap. Maybe someone else does. But if it were me and I liked that razor they way you do, I would look for another cap, or buy another razor.

I use a DE89 and I know what may happen one day. I'm already thinking I'll just buy another one.

I don't plan on replacing the cap... I want a new razor with better metal.

My 80 year old Gillette NEWs are almost indestructible and are medium aggressive. Many (if not most) of them have lost their thin gold plating, but they work just fine as a solid brass razor. For me the short comb is slightly smoother and the long comb is slightly more aggressive, but I have heard others state the exact opposite. Try both!
Here is a typical LC from Mr. Razor's site:
proxy.php

Last edited:
Get a Weber.

I haven't had a change to use one yet but that'd be my suggestion too. It seems like the clear next buy if you liked your HD. apparently similar head, better quality, stainless, more grippy. I can't wait to get mine.

While screwing the handle to the head of my 4 year old Merkur HD, the screw part broke right off the cap. I've read all about the caveats of pot metal but never thought this would happen to a razor that seemed this durable. I only use my HD about once a week, so we are talking about a razor that has less than 300 shaves on it. I contacted Anne at Merkur and she suggested I contact a third party US based repair/replacement company. Surprisingly there was no offer of a free replacement head, only an offer to buy a new one. I really liked the shaves the HD gave. I was considering an EJ DE89 but read similar stories about them breaking as well. Is there a current in production chrome over brass razor that shaves like the HD? I was looking some of the razors Joe at IB has to offer, but all the chrome over brass razors are TTO which I am not a fan of. The Feather AS is very nice, but out of my price league. I wouldn't be against getting a vintage Gillette (I would almost prefer it). Which one(s) shaves the most like a HD? I am looking for middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness. I don't know that much about vintage razors. Thanks guys! View attachment 389306
Not vintage but RazoRock SLAB is def mid of the road aggressive, very sturdy razor.

Not that this is what you want to do, but can you solder zamak? I just got some silver solder paste that's incredibly easy to use, even for a lay person.

I don't know how the post was attached to the head, but it almost seems like it was glued. Not acceptable for something that sees water daily IMO. I thought about soldering it, but I would prefer to try out something new that might be even better than the HD.

I am considering the SLAB... what's the verdict on the chrome over zinc alloy head?

According to Neil Jagger, CEO of Edwin Jagger, the Edwin Jagger razors are plated brass.

Personally, I like injector razors, but I have and enjoy both an EJ DE87 and a Weber polished head.

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture up there ain't brass. Not no way, not no how. :) Has anyone ever explored whether or not counterfeit razors exist, and how much penetration they might have in the market. I assume they do, because IP laws in China make it difficult to go after counterfeiters there, and it's incredibly rampant. I work in IT, and there are ALL KINDS of fake (and grossly inferior) parts for major vendors like Cisco, Dell, etc. The fake parts cost 1/10 as much as a genuine part, and truth be told, there's a good chance they're probably made in the same factory. However, the quality is very, very inferior to the OEM part, and they go to some great lengths to try to pass the fakes off as real. I've seen fake logos, fake serial numbers, even fake hologram stickers.

Now, the difference in price for those parts is thousands of dollars per part, so there's a pretty significant profit motive for those people, but would that filter down to something like razors? Has anyone ever really tried to determine if a particular razor was made in a specific factory?

According to Neil Jagger, CEO of Edwin Jagger, the Edwin Jagger razors are plated brass.

http://straightrazorplace.com/content/conversation-neil-jagger-440/

Personally, I like injector razors, but I have and enjoy both an EJ DE87 and a Weber polished head.

I have seen reference on a seller's Web page to the handle being brass, and the reference was for sure just to the handle. I can't remember now, but that may have been on Amazon. Anyway, I don't think the head is brass. For the size of the pieces it just doesn't feel like brass, and the stud on the cap is not brass by the looks of it.

Not being critical. Just sharing opinion. And I love the Edwin Jagger razors.

I don't know how the post was attached to the head, but it almost seems like it was glued. Not acceptable for something that sees water daily IMO.
Glue, well applied can do wonders. Did you know that some parts of the Boeing 747 cell are glued with epoxy glue? Holds up well since more than 40 years - oh well those birds get a bit more maintenance than a razor, but still.

I thought about soldering it, but I would prefer to try out something new that might be even better than the HD.
AFAIK soldering zinc alloy does not work. Even if you repair it I'd still go for a good replacement.

BTW, Edwin Jagger heads are beautiful, but definitely not brass inside:

$No_surprise_-_EJ_not_brass.jpg

Had two Merkur DE razors break the exact same way for me. This was about 16 years ago. I went with a new Edwin Jagger recently after getting back into DE shaving. Hopefully I'll have better luck. Just in case....I ended up acquiring a couple Gillette Tech razors that were brand new/never used or NOS, and both were made in the early 1960's. They may not be glamorous or as fancy looking as the newer EJ razors, but they are fine enough for me to use. Figure I'll keep those two as back-ups. I've never broken any newer Gillette in the last 27-28 years of wet shaving. My father used the exact same Tech from the time he got out of the Army after the end of WWII until about the very early 1980's, that razor served him loyally every day for all those years too.

Problem with the modern newly made DE razors isn't the Zemak metal alloy used, no that stuff is strong enough for making razor tops and studs with. The problem is the screw studs on these new razors doen't seem to be a permanent piece of the cap head, the stud seems to be either soldered in or afixed with an adhesive. That's unacceptable of you ask me. All the older original vintage razors seemed to have the top cap machined or stamped from one piece with the stud machined/milled in as all one permanent piece. That's how it should be done.

Last edited:

From what I've seen from some broken Edwin Jagger DE razors and also my own Mekurs, there is no brass in there as the base metal. Nope, if that's what the CEO of EJ is saying, that they are plated brass, then he must not know his own products very well. I'm very disappointed to hear that these problems still persists with many of these modern made DE razors. They sure aren't inexpensive to buy and for the price I would expect much better. I just hope I have better luck with my EJ than I did with my previous Merkurs. Seems like those older original razor manufacturers like Gillette and Schick, etc all seemed to have the technology in their day to make a razor that was durable enough to survive decades of daily use and sell it at a fair price in their day.

Seems like those older original razor manufacturers like Gillette and Schick, etc all seemed to have the technology in their day to make a razor that was durable enough to survive decades of daily use and sell it at a fair price in their day.

Just like so many other things made in those days...

Last edited:
Top Bottom