What's new

Broken British Gillette Aristocrat

Hello everyone!
I come back here once again seeking for your valueble advice. I just got this lovely vintage Gillette razor made in England (or Set Nº 22, to be specific) and I noticed that knob was extremly tight and It woudn't move at all.
When I applied a bit of force on the handle, the silo doors came loose and now I got it all disassemble. After that, I took some pliers and wrapped it up with some fabric to protect the metal and I was able to unscrew the knob.

20201016_132713.jpg
20201016_145355.jpg

How do I put this back together?
Because if I try to screw it back on the knob won't work and the doors won't open.
I don't want to use this razor for shaving. I'll add it to my collection.

Thank you for stopping by!

R

romsitsa

Hello!

It’s not supposed to be/can’t be disassembled, so it was most likely broken before you received it.
1. Screw in the knob into the closed position.
2. Screw in the center bar while you hold the base plate and doors in the closed position.
3. Play around with the center bar and knob until the razor opens properly and the gap above the knob looks good in the closed position.
4. Open up the razor, there are 4 little notches in the base plate, align these with the notches on the handle. Recrimp the base plate by applying force to the notches. A small screwdriver and hammer will do the job.

It’s one of the most annoying things to repair, so sending it back is a viable option.

Hello!

It’s not supposed to be/can’t be disassembled, so it was most likely broken before you received it.
1. Screw in the knob into the closed position.
2. Screw in the center bar while you hold the base plate and doors in the closed position.
3. Play around with the center bar and knob until the razor opens properly and the gap above the knob looks good in the closed position.
4. Open up the razor, there are 4 little notches in the base plate, align these with the notches on the handle. Recrimp the base plate by applying force to the notches. A small screwdriver and hammer will do the job.

It’s one of the most annoying things to repair, so sending it back is a viable option.

Adam, as always thank you very much for your input.
I'll try this and let you know!

Top Bottom