What's new

Broken Bones

I do not think I have ever broken a bone, although some of my fingers are so crooked as to belie that. I have sprained lots of different body parts, and have deterioration in various parts of my spine, that causes trouble from time to time.

When I was 20 I was was stupid like most young men and punched a few things I shouldn't have, small bones in right hand a couple of times.
Nose was broken in high school walking away from a fight but is that a bone?

At almost 72, I've never had a broken bone. Honestly, I'm amazed by that as I probably should be dead from any number of stupid things I did during the invincible years...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have lots of little scars on my hands for hand crafting laminate cabinets, wall coverings, countertops, etc. ... and my shins have been through some wars. I did carpentry for about 1/3 of my working years.... but I still have all my fingers. <eg>

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Never broken anything, though, after 75 years, there are times I should have.

Had two really bad hip bruises from falling in gravel while cycling. Both times the same hip, which has left me with a big lump on the side of my butt. Docs said they were amazed neither impact broke anything.

Then there was the time I was bucking some logs when one took a bad hop and landed right across my left instep. Again, from the severity of the bruise, the doc was amazed nothing had broken.

Sure doesn't come from clean living, though.

I do not think I have ever broken a bone, although some of my fingers are so crooked as to belie that. I have sprained lots of different body parts, and have deterioration in various parts of my spine, that causes trouble from time to time.
The other posts remind me it was not for want of trying that I do not think I have broken a bone. I was not thinking that I broke my nose but there was a time when it was sore for a long time and then seemed to end up larger and flatter and harder to breathe out of than it was.

Reactions: ctr
I must have luck on my side as 3 weeks ago I fell down some stairs and landed on left side of my face. Quiet a mess with a lot of blood on the floor and over the old noggin, the local A&E started to talk about multiple fractures to the eye socket and potential loss of the eye, as well as some rib fractures. Well after several X-rays it turned out to be nothing more than very bad bruising and several long and deep lacerations one of which split an old scar from my 20's. The luckiest bit is chicks dig scars and swmbo still loves me. Almost healed up now but still have red bruising to my face.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Compression fracture of my L4 and L5 vertebrae and busted my right ankle: fell about 18 feet at work and did not stick the landing.

I am starting to feel like a barometer now with some aches and pains when weather is changing.

L2 was my first, L4 was the second later. Hurts like hell along with the back muscle contractions, don't it?

They put me on a Boniva type thing last year.

Also broke collar bone when I was a kid, and kicked a fallen tree limb while running outside with no shoes on and fractured a toe.

Got cool and rainy here now...and they say the humidity and barometer readings have not been medically proven to affect feelings of pain. Hah, I'm a scuba diver and I can tell when the barometric pressure is increasing or decreasing before a storm by the way my ears feel. I busted an ear drum once at about 60 feet when a guy grabbed my fin and pulled me down a few feet while I was clearing my ears.

Last edited:
I'm actually embarrassed by how many breaks and fractures I've had over the years. Some were due to misadventure (i.e. my own stupidity), some were due to misfortune (i.e. other people's stupidity), some were sports-related, and some were work-related. I'll start from the top down...

Skull fracture - partially ejected during a rollover; head went through the side window and hit something outside the car
Left orbital (eye socket) - struck with a golf club wielded by an anti-logging protestor
Left zygoma (cheek bone) - same incident as above
Nasal bones (broken nose) - hit by a falling tree limb (AKA "widowmaker")
Maxilla (upper jaw) - same incident as above
Mandible (lower jaw) - same incident as above
Left maxillary central incisor - same incident as above; required a root canal and implant
Left maxillary lateral incisor - same incident as above; required a root canal and implant
Cervical vertebra and spinous process - C1 "Jefferson" fracture; other car crossed centerline and hit me head-on
Cervical vertebrae - C4/C5; compression fracture due to impact at cranial vertex (rugby tackle)
Left clavicle (collarbone) - knocked off my tricycle by a neighbour backing into our driveway to turn around; I was 4 yrs old
Left clavicle - another rugby tackle
Right glenoid (shoulder joint) - Industrial accident; heavy machinery knocked me flying
Ribs - left 3rd, 4th, 5th; quad ATV rolled on me when I miscalculated steepness of an incline; also punctured lung & kidney
Ribs - right 9th, 10th; friend jabbed my side while shovelling snow; funny until I suddenly couldn't breathe without pain
Thoracic vertebra - T12; compression fracture due to a helicopter autorotation landing (engine failure)
Lumbar vertebrae - L1, L2; same incident as above
Right radius - distal fracture; fell off a ladder
Multiple right carpal bones - same incident as above
Right trapezium (base of the thumb) - Hit by a clod of retardant during an aerial firefighting drop
Multiple phalanges (fingers) on both hands at many points in my life; work- and sports-related, bar fights, caught in a door, etc.
Right patella (knee bone) - broken in two by direct hit to the knee in football
Right tibia - spiral fracture; fell off a log pile while leg was trapped between two logs
Right tarsus (ankle) - Same industrial accident that screwed up my right shoulder
Multiple phalanges (toes) on both feet at many points in my life; mostly work- and sports-related

... I think that's it... 🤔

Luckily, as I've aged, I've been able to avoid the kinds of "high energy events" that caused me so much grief in the past. Nowadays, I'm more likely to injure myself while watering my flower beds or pulling weeds from my lawn. 😜

L2 was my first, L4 was the second later. Hurts like hell along with the back muscle contractions, don't it?

They put me on a Boniva type thing last year.

Also broke collar bone when I was a kid, and kicked a fallen tree limb while running outside with no shoes on and fractured a toe.

Got cool and rainy here now...and they say the humidity and barometer readings have not been medically proven to affect feelings of pain. Hah, I'm a scuba diver and I can tell when the barometric pressure is increasing or decreasing before a storm by the way my ears feel. I busted an ear drum once at about 60 feet when a guy grabbed my fin and pulled me down a few feet while I was clearing my ears.
It can be...unpleasant...at times thats for sure.

I must have luck on my side as 3 weeks ago I fell down some stairs and landed on left side of my face. Quiet a mess with a lot of blood on the floor and over the old noggin, the local A&E started to talk about multiple fractures to the eye socket and potential loss of the eye, as well as some rib fractures. Well after several X-rays it turned out to be nothing more than very bad bruising and several long and deep lacerations one of which split an old scar from my 20's. The luckiest bit is chicks dig scars and swmbo still loves me. Almost healed up now but still have red bruising to my face.

When I say luck, what I mean is the amount of accidents Ive had over the years and never broken any bones. Plenty of internal injuries, cuts and bruising but no breaks.

Hit by speeding cars X3
Hit by speeding articulated lorry, once as a padestrian and once while in a car
Several falls from various height, 20' 10' 15' one through a roof, another into a canal
Fell off several motor bikes and push bikes at speed
Concussion from hitting low bats with my head, falling over in snow
Forgot the amount of times I've been electrocuted
1 gas explosion (ambulance)
1 car fire
Several car crashes

As I say luck must be on my side.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I'm actually embarrassed by how many breaks and fractures I've had over the years. Some were due to misadventure (i.e. my own stupidity), some were due to misfortune (i.e. other people's stupidity), some were sports-related, and some were work-related. I'll start from the top down...

Skull fracture - partially ejected during a rollover; head went through the side window and hit something outside the car
Left orbital (eye socket) - struck with a golf club wielded by an anti-logging protestor
Left zygoma (cheek bone) - same incident as above
Nasal bones (broken nose) - hit by a falling tree limb (AKA "widowmaker")
Maxilla (upper jaw) - same incident as above
Mandible (lower jaw) - same incident as above
Left maxillary central incisor - same incident as above; required a root canal and implant
Left maxillary lateral incisor - same incident as above; required a root canal and implant
Cervical vertebra and spinous process - C1 "Jefferson" fracture; other car crossed centerline and hit me head-on
Cervical vertebrae - C4/C5; compression fracture due to impact at cranial vertex (rugby tackle)
Left clavicle (collarbone) - knocked off my tricycle by a neighbour backing into our driveway to turn around; I was 4 yrs old
Left clavicle - another rugby tackle
Right glenoid (shoulder joint) - Industrial accident; heavy machinery knocked me flying
Ribs - left 3rd, 4th, 5th; quad ATV rolled on me when I miscalculated steepness of an incline; also punctured lung & kidney
Ribs - right 9th, 10th; friend jabbed my side while shovelling snow; funny until I suddenly couldn't breathe without pain
Thoracic vertebra - T12; compression fracture due to a helicopter autorotation landing (engine failure)
Lumbar vertebrae - L1, L2; same incident as above
Right radius - distal fracture; fell off a ladder
Multiple right carpal bones - same incident as above
Right trapezium (base of the thumb) - Hit by a clod of retardant during an aerial firefighting drop
Multiple phalanges (fingers) on both hands at many points in my life; work- and sports-related, bar fights, caught in a door, etc.
Right patella (knee bone) - broken in two by direct hit to the knee in football
Right tibia - spiral fracture; fell off a log pile while leg was trapped between two logs
Right tarsus (ankle) - Same industrial accident that screwed up my right shoulder
Multiple phalanges (toes) on both feet at many points in my life; mostly work- and sports-related

... I think that's it... 🤔

Luckily, as I've aged, I've been able to avoid the kinds of "high energy events" that caused me so much grief in the past. Nowadays, I'm more likely to injure myself while watering my flower beds or pulling weeds from my lawn. 😜

Damn!

Top Bottom