What's new

Broken Blade

While cleaning up my razor after today's shave I loosened the head of my Henson TI razor and noticed that the blade moved some. When I tightened it up one side of the razor had more blade exposure than the other. I opened the razor and this is what I found: a broken razor blade.

Broken blade.jpg

Fortunately, the Henson tightens the blade and does not allow any blade movement. Had that not been the case I am sure my shave would have been a disaster.

So Henson has a design fault?
That looks pretty dangerous!
I think it probably depends on the blade. Blades are heat treated to harden them. That can make the steel more brittle according to how the heat treating is done. The Henson applies a sharp bend in the blade towards the edge which would increase stress in a narrow area of the blade.

Reactions: Kix
So Henson has a design fault?
That looks pretty dangerous!
I doubt it, the Henson held the blades tight, I didn't notice any movement at all. But in the interest of full disclosure, the vintage Silver Star was a pretty rough shave, though most people who used it reported the same. And I don't recall the Feather being any worse than usual, though it was early on for me so I wasn't getting great shaves from Feather anyway.

Reactions: Kix
I don't think blade movement would be the issue. Where & how it would hold it tight would probably be the culprit.
I didn't know it was broken until I opened it. I suspect it broke while in the process of clamping it tight. So it held it tight wherever and however it normally does I guess. I can't say for sure whether it affected the shave or not, I'll have to see if it ever happens again to a blade that normally gives me a good shave and note if the preceding shave was normal or bad.

While cleaning up my razor after today's shave I loosened the head of my Henson TI razor and noticed that the blade moved some. When I tightened it up one side of the razor had more blade exposure than the other. I opened the razor and this is what I found: a broken razor blade.

View attachment 1480181

Fortunately, the Henson tightens the blade and does not allow any blade movement. Had that not been the case I am sure my shave would have been a disaster.
Interesting to see the "spot" on the lower part of the thinner piece.......too much tension, cause fatigue=kapput

I had bought some Facon blades from amazon. I had several snap trying to put them in the razor. As I recall, the center cut-out was really tight and hard to seat. I've never had that happen with any other blade. The few I actually tried were mediocre.

Wow. Just ordered a Henson and this does not inspired confidence. Hopefully it's an anomaly. Last thing I want is to drag a jagged shard of steel across my cheek.

If my Henson razor ever breaks a blade, I will be in contact with their customer support immediately. Otherwise they may never know there is a potential problem.

Top Bottom