What's new

Broken Barbasol : (

Hi guys,

I bought this Barbasol (1934) about a year ago, as you can see the screw is broken. Any clone that I could use to fix this baby ? I heard that the coopers were compatible but so far I was unsuccessful in finding one.

proxy.php

There is a way to fix this razor but it requires radical surgury.

The repair requires drilling out the broken stub to a through hole then using a screw to replace the stud. Funky I know but it will make this razor usable until a new top piece can be found.

I would drill both out and tap them for a tiny little set screw, then JB weld it all together. Done right, it would be just as strong/stronger than original.

Know any machinists? :)

If you have the tools, you could grind the threads down, on the cap. Then drill a small hole in the remaining cap stud, not all the way through. Then get a stainless threaded bolt, with the same width, and thread. Drill a hole, the same diameter as the caps hole. Cut the bolt to the length you want. Then I would find a hex wrench, that fit the hole, tightly. Use a good strong JB Weld or other engine block epoxy, to anchor the two studs together, with the hex wrench in the middle, until dried. The excess hex wrench can be used for stability while drying. When dry, cut the hex wrench off, flush with the stud.

Is the cap made of Zamak? If so, plain JB Weld probably won't work. The drill and tap method might not work with Zamak either. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you have the tools, you could grind the threads down, on the cap. Then drill a small hole in the remaining cap stud, not all the way through. Then get a stainless threaded bolt, with the same width, and thread. Drill a hole, the same diameter as the caps hole. Cut the bolt to the length you want. Then I would find a hex wrench, that fit the hole, tightly. Use a good strong JB Weld or other engine block epoxy, to anchor the two studs together, with the hex wrench in the middle, until dried. The excess hex wrench can be used for stability while drying. When dry, cut the hex wrench off, flush with the stud.

Then, this might be the only option available. That is, if JB weld will not work on zamak. Or, buy a junked Barbasol and use the cap.

Had the same thing happen to mine.

I got a cap from a generic razor that looked right, I think it was a Star razor. Here's a photo of the baseplate of the donor razor:

$SDC15640.jpg

The threading didn't match, so I took a dremel and ground out the interior threading from the handle.

Then I got this thing at the local hardware for about 30 cents.
$SDC15639.jpg

I cut off the flat part, leaving a threaded tube. roughed up the glossy stainless thing on the outside edge with heavy grit, and then epoxied it into the handle. Had to be really careful to keep the glue off the threads; use sparingly.

It was a lot of work, but it's a Barbasol.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem with one of my Barbasol non-FH razors, except the broken piece on mine is long gone. I can't find a cap that works. I have tried a Cooper and a Kleezo (which have similar baseplates to the Barbasol), plus a few others. I would try the JB weld, What do you have to lose?

I haven't fixed a razor with them, but we use them all the time at work on equipment that gets installed on warships, so they work. The trick is to get the exact model for your material type, and the hole needs to be exactly as recommended. You need an arbor press to install them; basically to force the teeth to bite into the metal.

A lot of interesting ideas here. I'd like to propose another one that I came up with. In the picture bellow you can see the barbasol cap & a New Improved cap, both caps have the same thickness, curve & 19mm width. I could top the extra length of the rod and cut the adequate thread ?

proxy.php

What will you do with the rest of the New Improved? Do you have an extra NI cap lying around? Do you know someone with a machine shop?

While I love all of my Barbasol razors, I would rather have a NI in my den than a Bakelite Barbasol.

Top Bottom