What's new

Broke the shaving rules and had a really good shave

I begun wet shaving with cartridges maybe 18 years ago. At that time Internet was not common for normal people. I had to figure out things myself. Quickly I learned that it is impossible to pull a cartridge ATG on the first pass. I learned I need to do several passes for getting a DFS.

Today, many years later I decided to try to break that rule to see how it would go. I had my 15C loaded with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. I took a shower first, then put on some grape-seed oil, then lathered and off I went with ATG directly.

The shave was very slightly feeling like tugging, almost nothing. At least nothing that would be annoying. After the pass was I was done. I had a DFS in just one pass! And by needing to lather my face only once, I had the best feeling face I ever had after a shave.

Rules? I didn't even know that there are shaving rules! Oh well, except the YMMV rule of course. :laugh:

Regarding first pass against the grain: Even if I might be wrong I do not doubt that this would never work for me with a cart razor. But I do it from time to time with the R41 => DFS in one pass, but first pass WTG is more comfortable.

Yup, my shave improved once i Started veering away from the standard suggestions too..... Congrats on your one pass ATG shaves, as most of us on here are unable to shave ATG even after several wtg passes.

I begun wet shaving with cartridges maybe 18 years ago. At that time Internet was not common for normal people. I had to figure out things myself. Quickly I learned that it is impossible to pull a cartridge ATG on the first pass. I learned I need to do several passes for getting a DFS.

Today, many years later I decided to try to break that rule to see how it would go. I had my 15C loaded with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. I took a shower first, then put on some grape-seed oil, then lathered and off I went with ATG directly.

The shave was very slightly feeling like tugging, almost nothing. At least nothing that would be annoying. After the pass was I was done. I had a DFS in just one pass! And by needing to lather my face only once, I had the best feeling face I ever had after a shave.
There are no hard rules in shaving. You will not get an unsportsman like conduct penalty. Enjoy any method you like.

Top Bottom