What's new

Broke out the "old" Atra

Scrounging around my shave den the other day and came across my old metal Atra from when i was a teenager, hadn't used it in about 30 years. After looking at it for a few seconds I wondered, "why did i ever swap this for a Mach 3 years ago?" I was curious if blades were even still available for this razor so the next time I was in the razor section of megaworld I saw that indeed they are still there. I haven't looked, mainly because I have been DE shaving for a while and was DSC before that and Mach 3 before that.. I picked up a pack and skipped home feeling quite nostalgic. The next morning I loaded it up and used it and forgot how nimble and well made this little razor was. its back in rotation and happy to be alive again.

Scrounging around my shave den the other day and came across my old metal Atra from when i was a teenager, hadn't used it in about 30 years. After looking at it for a few seconds I wondered, "why did i ever swap this for a Mach 3 years ago?" I was curious if blades were even still available for this razor so the next time I was in the razor section of megaworld I saw that indeed they are still there. I haven't looked, mainly because I have been DE shaving for a while and was DSC before that and Mach 3 before that.. I picked up a pack and skipped home feeling quite nostalgic. The next morning I loaded it up and used it and forgot how nimble and well made this little razor was. its back in rotation and happy to be alive again.

shocked-lemur-face.png

I did the exact same thing last week. I got it back in 1977, birthday gift from mom. Don't remember the last time I used it. Found the carts and tried it out. It gave a a great shave on 4 passes, I'll use it occasionally to remember my mom and how she raised us, all 6 of us, on her own. My father passed away in 1972 and she took great care of us all these years.

I'm pretty sure that was my first shave too. Long since in the bin tho.... Memories :)

Anyone remember the commercials?

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that was my first shave too. Long since in the bin tho.... Memories :)

Anyone remember the commercials?

Funny, I'm a musician and I always remember a tune, including that "Gillette, the best a man can get" jingle. But I have no nostalgia for Atra or Mach 3, or more recently, Fusion. Just an every growing mountain of cheap plastic, increasingly not so cheap. Now I shave with all metal. We've become a society of cheaply-made disposable junk, it's good to turn things around, however slightly.

Funny, I'm a musician and I always remember a tune, including that "Gillette, the best a man can get" jingle. But I have no nostalgia for Atra or Mach 3, or more recently, Fusion. Just an every growing mountain of cheap plastic, increasingly not so cheap. Now I shave with all metal. We've become a society of cheaply-made disposable junk, it's good to turn things around, however slightly.
+1

I don't know if I would call myself a musician tho... but I can make some noise on a guitar and uke that my daughter seems to enjoy...

The Atra is a fine razor. Retro! And with decent prep, it's ok. I like it, and still use mine occasionally. It's not in my rotation, but it's there.

I must have used the Atra at some point in my shaving existence because I bought whatever was on the shelf at the time and I was always buying Gillette's "latest and greatest".

I am a DE or SE guy but I gave up my Atra for a Sensor Excel many years ago. Don't have the Atra any more but still have the Sensor. I tried it ATG about a year ago and I swear little chunks of metal came off. So I guess I only ever used it WTG. Not good results so test over. Back to DE and SE. Never tried a Mach 3 or above.

Top Bottom