What's new

Broke my R41..

Maybe you could look also at the R41 clone on aliexpress.
It will not break the bank and sellers offering the razor head only

Perfect timing!
The ideal moment to move on to a stainless steel Tatararazor Masamuna Nodachi.

B.

Great idea here. I have the Nodachi base and top cap on the Masamune handle and it's a fantastic razor....super smooth and efficient.

Fortunately it was the newer one and not my pre-2012 R41. But I did like some aspects of the newer design, notable the reduced blade flex from having more top cap coverage.

But I'm done with pot metal Zamak. I want something stainless like my Feather SS. Haven't followed the DE market in years (2015 maybe?) so what's out there now that's stainless open comb and nice and aggressive like an R41? Something from Above the Tie?

So sorry. Zamak is just a crappy material to make a razor out of. I'd look at razorock's stainless rszors. I think there's an open comb option with the game changer. You are smart to go stainless. You'll never have another breakage or corrosion problem.

I have two suggestions for you. First though, you will love your stainless R41 head.

1.) There is a "clone" of the OLDER (2011) R41 model available in China, and in stainless steel as well:
The DSCosmetics Z0. A clone of the R41 2011. More aggressive than the current R41. Comes with a selection of really nice and fancy, but hyper-polished and slippery handles. Available on Aliexpress, where else.
It has the "shorter" cap of the older R41 design. So more blade is exposed. Actually, I find the 2013 head more than enough already, but just FYI! :)
2.) The handle of the R41GS is polished. It's the longer version of the R41, the "Grande" handle. It is a bit slippery, but through the shape, weight and size alone could actually still fit nicely in your hand, at least I think so. But you might want to replace it with a more grippy handle. For suggestions which handle would fit nicely, you know in which forum to ask, should you consider a replacement. ;) But it might not be necessary.
How do you know the DSCosmetics Z0. A clone of the R41 2011 is a true clone of the 2011 R41? It does not say that on the Ali Express website.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
How do you know the DSCosmetics Z0. A clone of the R41 2011 is a true clone of the 2011 R41? It does not say that on the Ali Express website.
It has the slightly shorter cap of the oldder R41 model. I made some photos for comparison purposes.
They also copied the GC .84 and .68 geometry, only slightly altered some parts and... they didn't write that in the product description. Maybe shoot them a mail and ask them for verification.

It has the slightly shorter cap of the oldder R41 model. I made some photos for comparison purposes.
They also copied the GC .84 and .68 geometry, only slightly altered some parts and... they didn't write that in the product description. Maybe shoot them a mail and ask them for verification.
I can't find anything on Ali Express where I can send a message to the vendor so how do I shoot them a mail?

So sorry. Zamak is just a crappy material to make a razor out of. I'd look at razorock's stainless rszors. I think there's an open comb option with the game changer. You are smart to go stainless. You'll never have another breakage or corrosion problem.
Zamak could work for a razor design, it just can't work as a three piece with an M5 threaded post.

DSCosmetic Z0 for sure! Best cost/benefit!

This DSCosmetic looks ok, but beware of the ~4-5 USD R41 copies on Aliexpress. I have shimmed my original R41 to add rigidity and some additional effectiveness, so aggressive razors don't scare me. However the Aliexpress heads were downright terrifying, to the point of being unusable.

Top Bottom