What's new

Broke my favourite shaver.......what to replace it with?

My beloved alumnigoose took a fatal fall and being out of production I'm looking for a similarly shaving substitute. For anyone who has experience shaving with one what do you suggest? My current SE roster includes a One Blade V1 (which I only use when I feel half blind and shaky since it shaves like a boring cartridge to me), Occam's Razor (find the head really drags and the safety bar is too wide), and a Razorock Black Hawk V1 (my travel razor). Any suggestions are appreciated.....or better yet a lead on an alumingoose!

One option might be to put a WTB on the BST section here, or on other forums if you're a qualifying member. The Alumigoose and Mongoose don't get as much love as other AC razors, so seem to come up for sale more often, and at lower prices. I quite like the Mongoose I have, although find it a bit mild and head heavy to the one of my top picks. The use of a Feather Super Pro blade does give it a bit more blade feel.
Other AC razors to look at would be the Blackland Vector, Colonial General V2 and ATT SE1. The latter comes in aluminium or stainless steel. To me it's a bit more aggressive than the General or Vector, but a Kai Pink tames it considerably and gives a great shave.

If I ever get around to selling off most of my DEs, keeping just one or two, I've wanted to try the Vector. Probably the one AC blade razor I'd really like to try, just can't justify yet another blade format and premium razor, with all the equipment stuffed into my drawer.

Other options that come to mind are the Injectors, my Schick Adjustable is an excellent shaver with either Schick single or twin blades. They can also be had for around $30.00, but shave well above the current price point. Of course for a premium model, there's the Supply razors, however, Schick Adjustable fits the bill all too well.

What about a GEM Micromatic? - I was never a GEM fan, didn't like the first few I tried, but the Micromatic Bullet Tip is an excellent shaver, and the MMOC is just a bit more efficient or aggressive, depending upon how you look at it. (The MMOC is a two pass to BBS razor on most shaves with it).

The current OneBlade Genesis can actually bite, with a Feather, if your not paying attention. With a modified GEM, it's significantly more idiot proof and softer feeling, at least to me. (Never tried the original OneBlade, however, they did play with both the hinge area, and the blade geometry a tad).

If I ever get around to selling off most of my DEs, keeping just one or two, I've wanted to try the Vector. Probably the one AC blade razor I'd really like to try, just can't justify yet another blade format and premium razor, with all the equipment stuffed into my drawer.

Other options that come to mind are the Injectors, my Schick Adjustable is an excellent shaver with either Schick single or twin blades. They can also be had for around $30.00, but shave well above the current price point. Of course for a premium model, there's the Supply razors, however, Schick Adjustable fits the bill all too well.

What about a GEM Micromatic? - I was never a GEM fan, didn't like the first few I tried, but the Micromatic Bullet Tip is an excellent shaver, and the MMOC is just a bit more efficient or aggressive, depending upon how you look at it. (The MMOC is a two pass to BBS razor on most shaves with it).

The current OneBlade Genesis can actually bite, with a Feather, if your not paying attention. With a modified GEM, it's significantly more idiot proof and softer feeling, at least to me. (Never tried the original OneBlade, however, they did play with both the hinge area, and the blade geometry a tad).
Thanks for the suggestions. After years of experimenting with dozens of various razors in different styles (straights, DE, SE etc) I've kind of lost the drive to experiment......although I somehow I never did pick up a Schick along the way so maybe I'll give it a try.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
New razors:
Blackland Vector (AC)
Colonial General (AC)
Blackland Sabre (GEM)
RazoRock Hawk V3-OC (AC)
ATT SE1 (AC)
RazoRock Hawk V3-A (AC)
Supply V2 Stainless (Injector)
RazoRock Hawk V2 (AC)

Vintage:
GEM Featherweight Deluxe
GEM Pushbutton
GEM MMOC
GEM Jr. G Bar Lather Catcher
Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher"
Ever-Ready 1924 "Shovel Head"
GEM Jr. Parade
GEM G Bar, Clog Pruf, Bullet, etc.

There are lots of vintage GEM and Ever-Ready razors out there. Also lots of vintage Schick Injector razors.

I've been comparing the SE razors of all blade types that I can reasonably obtain on the following thread:

Hope this helps. :)

New razors:
Blackland Vector (AC)
Colonial General (AC)
Blackland Sabre (GEM)
RazoRock Hawk V3-OC (AC)
ATT SE1 (AC)
RazoRock Hawk V3-A (AC)
Supply V2 Stainless (Injector)
RazoRock Hawk V2 (AC)

Vintage:
GEM Featherweight Deluxe
GEM Pushbutton
GEM MMOC
GEM Jr. G Bar Lather Catcher
Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher"
Ever-Ready 1924 "Shovel Head"
GEM Jr. Parade
GEM G Bar, Clog Pruf, Bullet, etc.

There are lots of vintage GEM and Ever-Ready razors out there. Also lots of vintage Schick Injector razors.

I've been comparing the SE razors of all blade types that I can reasonably obtain on the following thread:

Hope this helps. :)

Thank-you for the detailed reply! I think I’m leaning towards the general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Thanks for the suggestions. After years of experimenting with dozens of various razors in different styles (straights, DE, SE etc) I've kind of lost the drive to experiment......although I somehow I never did pick up a Schick along the way so maybe I'll give it a try.

Try the Schick - way nimbler than the AC hair shaper format, though blades lack variety.

Top Bottom