What's new

Broader blades?

Wizamet I think are wider.Are there any other blades as these?They should make mild razors <as Razorock 68p>more efficient.

FWIW, I've not noticed any additional width in the wizzie but it may have escaped my attention.

The only notably wider blade that I've encountered thus far has been the Kai. And I've tried nearly all of them at least once.

The Kai blade absolutely transforms a milder razor by virtue of the increased blade exposure. However, despite the greater amount of blade feel my shaves with it have been mediocre at best. I don't find it particularly sharp and so it doesn't feature for me all that often.

There may in fact be other blades that have some added width but perhaps not enough to be easily felt by most users.

One member who seems to know an awful lot about blades is @RayClem. Perhaps he'll stop by with some insight.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think Gillette Sputnik blade are slightly extra wide than other DE blades but have none to confirm this, I ordered some 2 days ago so it will take a couple of weeks to confirm them, they are coming from Sweden. They are the same width as a Kai SS blade.
I think one of the fellows on B&B(?) did some research years ago so it is reasonably accurate I'm thinking!
Blade dimensions DE.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I think Gillette Sputnik blade are put have none to confirm this, I ordered some 2 days ago so it will take a couple of weeks to confirm them, they are coming from Sweden. They are the same width as a Kai SS blade.
I think one of the fellows on B&B(?) did some research years ago so it is reasonably accurate I'm thinking!
View attachment 1628034
Have some great shaves!
Of the few charts out there, I haven't seen this one in awhile! And I had been looking recently. Interesting that discussions about the Treet Dura Sharps come and go occasionally, but they never worked well for me. Now I see that it's because they are narrower, but I have an appropriate razor now and they are sitting on my desk for some reason...

All of the blades I have used have been standard width. I have seen measurements of Kai blades that show they are wider than standard. I have not heard of any others, but that does not mean there are none.

If you want more blade exposure, I suggest trying a more aggressive razor.

Worth adding, make a shim! At the least, that will tell you if you really want a wider blade. They don't always work well as a permanent solution though.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I bought mine from "Razor blade club" and they have been around for some time. I just went to google and typed in Gillette Sputnik and the Razor blade club came up.
West coast shaving has a good deal on 100 pcs also. I wanted to try some first before buying 50 or 100 pcs lots.

Top Bottom