What's new

British Shaving Creams

I recently went on holiday to Spain, and decided to buy three Spanish shaving creams. I posted about it.

Now we're thinking about going to Great Britain on our fall vacation next year, so yesterday I ordered four British shaving creams: Trumper's Rose, Trufitt & Hill's Trafalger, St. James of London's Tonka & Tobacco Flower, and Castle Forbes 1445. I already have Trumper's Coconut Oil and Castle Forbes in both Lime and Lavender. I enjoy them all very much.

I'm surprised how little airplay these shaving creams get on the forum. Have these classics been surpassed by artisan creams, or is everyone using soaps these days?

I think these creams have a lot of fans. They don't get talked about much because they are old hat. They are not hip.

Artisans bring novelty, hype, crazy variety, etc. Quite the opposite of the established British creams, which seem like staid relics of an earlier time.

I'm not taking sides, BTW.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use soaps almost exclusively, I have Proraso green cream and TOBS Jermyn Street cream which I use when travelling as I can easily transfer some cream to a small refillable travel container. I enjoy the ritual of lather building with soap, although I shy away from English brands as, rightly or wrongly, I view English creams as generally being good quality whilst the soaps are poor in comparison. I am not interested in any artisan products at all as the sheer number of artisans and their products is so overwhelming and frankly tedious. I accept that times move on but for me a large part of the appeal of traditional shaving, is the tradition. To each his own.

Cyril R. Salter Luxury Shaving Cream is the best British cream I've ever used - the French Vetiver is one of my favorite scents in shaving.

I use T&H and Trumpers creams regularly. Have been doing so over 15 years. T&H 1805, Trafalgar and Trumpers Coconut, Rose and Limes are particular favorites.

I think you made some good choices. Those 3 brands are better than most creams I've ever tried. I generally prefer soaps but Cyril Salter is also very good IMO. DR Harris and TOBS didn't make it onto my list of things to buy again though.

I recently went on holiday to Spain, and decided to buy three Spanish shaving creams. I posted about it.

Now we're thinking about going to Great Britain on our fall vacation next year, so yesterday I ordered four British shaving creams: Trumper's Rose, Trufitt & Hill's Trafalger, St. James of London's Tonka & Tobacco Flower, and Castle Forbes 1445. I already have Trumper's Coconut Oil and Castle Forbes in both Lime and Lavender. I enjoy them all very much.

I'm surprised how little airplay these shaving creams get on the forum. Have these classics been surpassed by artisan creams, or is everyone using soaps these days?

Sir Scott, what a great forthcoming vacation to GB! Indeed, so proper that you've ordered Brit shave products to preview!! Good selections!

Do not give any attention to lack of airplay for these great traditional shave products!!

Just enjoy and Have a great trip!

By the way, while there, Book a traditional barber shave as indulgence for yourself!

Travel safe; post pics after!!

proxy.php

Why, thank you! I may indeed treat myself to a proper shave delivered by a professional. I enjoy shaving so much, however, that I'll be reluctant to allow someone else the pleasure...

Why, thank you! I may indeed treat myself to a proper shave delivered by a professional. I enjoy shaving so much, however, that I'll be reluctant to allow someone else the pleasure...
I'm willing to bet money that you will be disappointed with your (expensive) "professional" shave. I went for a haircut a couple of weeks ago and saw a 20 year experienced barber butcher a client's face. No, it wasn't a mob hit ;-) I won't even let the barber use a blade in the back of my neck, only clippers.

I wouldn't get a barber shave unless the barber is 80 years old and has been doing it all his life.

I'm willing to bet money that you will be disappointed with your (expensive) "professional" shave. I went for a haircut a couple of weeks ago and saw a 20 year experienced barber butcher a client's face. No, it wasn't a mob hit ;-) I won't even let the barber use a blade in the back of my neck, only clippers.

I wouldn't get a barber shave unless the barber is 80 years old and has been doing it all his life.

Good advice. Though most of the 80 year-olds I know have less than steady hands...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I had a barber shave me a few years ago and in the end, it looked like I had been in a cat fight. Never again

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Cyril R. Salter Luxury Shaving Cream is the best British cream I've ever used - the French Vetiver is one of my favorite scents in shaving.

CRS easily outperforms Castle Forbes and Trumpers in my opinion. CRS scents are also about as good as it gets. It's not expensive and it comes in a 5.8oz tub that lasts a long time.

Cyril R Salter Shaving Cream Bowls - https://connaughtshaving.com/cyrilsc.html

I have their Wild Rose and Indian Sandalwood and I'll be buying Vetiver next.

CRS Sublime Citrus is a fave and one of the most unique scents I’ve tried. Trumper Violet cream may be my single favorite shave product of all time.

Top Bottom