What's new

British Razors

Acquired a few British razors this month that I've been wanting for a while , though not rare they are uncommon. These razors span roughly 40 years of British Gillette manufacturing and demonstrate the quality the Brit Gillettes are known for
brt3.JPG

On the left is the French Set 55 , the Monobloc, I do like the French markets penchant for the yellow case and this one is in particularly good shape . Not sure if the Monobloc was made in England or France as the razor has no "made in" stamp but it is Brit patent 694093 . Could be the correct blade case as I've seen several different pairings .

Center is a silver plated Single Ring made for the French market with the G in the rectangle stamp on the under side of the baseplate .It has the Gillette diamond stamp on the under side of the top cap and the top of the base plate .The serial # is F345325 and it's located on the bottom band of the handle , I have a few of the E series but this is my first F so I'm stoked

On the right is a British flat bottom New with the H alignment configuration, they hold the blade really firmly with the addition of corner tabs and it is a looker.The case is in excellent condition and the razor looks to be hardly used if at all .
brt2.JPG

Single ring with the top cap crimped at the corners ,when I first saw it I thought that the razor had been dropped a lot and all the corners where bent but on close investigation they are crimped the base plate doesn't appear to have a pocket for the crimps but they fit snuggly over the corner teeth

brt1.JPG

The Monobloc with it's signature smooth knob, this is a hefty razor weighing in at 72 grams

brt.JPG

The H pin New , there are several variations of alignment pins used in the Brit News but this system is my favorite and I was happy to get this one at a reasonable price .

Glenn

The #55 set looks like a match to me.
The razor was made in England, the case and the blades - in France (the case should state it on the bottom).

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

I tought the H aligment bar and corner tabs hangig over the edges were an early cap design.
Did they use up spares? And is this a post RFB No. 44, pre Tech No. 44, or something else?

Adam

Great scores - I love that yellow Monobloc case too, sure is purdy :001_wub: And the razor gives awesome shaves, just like it's more common twin, the HD500. I love all Rockets but yours sure is a stunner, enjoy!

I've never tried a Single Ring but yours looks very tempting. And the Flatbottom is just a real nice looker, makes we want to bring outmy 7 o'clock flatbottom tomorrow, seems like a near sister to yours.

Great scores. And thanks also so much for taking the time to add very nice detailed pictures - much appreciated!

PS - I think we need to make some kindda Brit Celebration Event to celebrate all the fantastic razors (Gillette and non-Gillette) that came out of there!

Thanks all for the kind words gents

Adam I don't really know much about these H or as in other posts the capital I pin razors .I have seen others that do not have the corner tabs on the top cap. Apparently there are 7 O'clock sets with this pin alignment system it could be that this set is a cross over that drew on 7 O'clock , New and Tech elements . The case does look like a Tech case the other case I've seen was the flat brown Bakelite used in the Service , Tech and & 7 O'clock sets. Might be a late 30s rather than mid 30s set.

Northstonehill I agree we should have a celebration of these British beauties .The Eclipse , Wardonia , Gillette, Darwin and some of the Made in Sheffield brands are fantastic razors.

Glenn

My favorite vintage Gillettes have all been British. First it was the Rocket HD, and now it’s the RFB. Enjoy those beauties!

Top Bottom