What's new

British Gillette "rocket Hd" "500"

I received my razor today, and the box and razor needed a little cleaning. The box isn't in mint condition, as there is a bit of scratching on the lid and there's a crack in the lid too. The razor looks pretty good, though, and the mechanism works flawlessly. What struck me is that it is very light. Is the handle made from aluminium?

This is also the second DE razor I've purchased which came with a blade in it. :sneaky2: Good thing I was careful when I inspected it...

/Nicholas

Nicholas,

It probably is aluminum. They are generally the usual nickel plated brass, and I think are fairly heavy. I am pretty sure there was an aluminum version, though. I have a gold aluminum one, so it seems likely there was a non-gold one too. Plus the last picture on page 1 sure does look like aluminum.

Oh, and btw, yes, there is such a thing as a regular, not "double ring" rocket. Looks pretty much like a 40s (or 50s/60s - there are both) Super Speed. Except with the British screw-in TTO knob.

-Mo

I received my razor today, and the box and razor needed a little cleaning. The box isn't in mint condition, as there is a bit of scratching on the lid and there's a crack in the lid too. The razor looks pretty good, though, and the mechanism works flawlessly. What struck me is that it is very light. Is the handle made from aluminium?

This is also the second DE razor I've purchased which came with a blade in it. :sneaky2: Good thing I was careful when I inspected it...

/Nicholas

Interesting- I did not know they had an aluminum, light version of the "500". The one I posted here is heavy, 70 grams, which makes it the same weight class as most "aristocrats".
The english Gillette sure had that option for the "number 58" coronation razor, two versions heavy and light. But I don't think it was ever that way for "aristocrat" models.

Here is a thread about the 500.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17297

If you don't want to link here is the pic of the ad that I found that names that razor.

proxy.php

They are very nice but a little too heavy for me personally.

Seeing that ad it occurred to me that the rational behind calling it the Super Speed must have been the ease and speed with which you could load a new blade with the blade cartridge and the notched positioning bar.

Interesting advert there Charlie, the "500" selling for "600", but that may actually be what is was, before the price went up :biggrin:
Here's soemthing off the shelf at the home display that perhaps makes the most compelling link tothe Rocket HD and the name "500". I believe in England it was sold under a different name.

Arik, that display explains a lot. The grooves on the side of the case were something I never figured out till seeing your display. They would be able to hold a few sets there in the same way as the metal SS display you also have. A nice full rack and then when you sell one you restock it from your backstock as needed. That kept 4 or 5 readily available at all times with a small footprint on the counter or shelf. Always thinking of shelf space.

How does that 750 behind it compare? It looks like that is similar to the curved yellow case that was discussed a while back. Are the razors similar? Any idea about why the price difference?

Hey guys, something I noticed in the ad that I posted. If you ever think Gillette is not on top of the details then you aren't looking at the details hard enough. The name Gillette in the top lid of the 500 case is not as it would be if you opened the case. You can read Gillette from the outside. Open it and it would be looking at it from the back. They flipped the name so it was readable in the print ad.

Arik, that display explains a lot. The grooves on the side of the case were something I never figured out till seeing your display. They would be able to hold a few sets there in the same way as the metal SS display you also have. A nice full rack and then when you sell one you restock it from your backstock as needed. That kept 4 or 5 readily available at all times with a small footprint on the counter or shelf. Always thinking of shelf space.

How does that 750 behind it compare? It looks like that is similar to the curved yellow case that was discussed a while back. Are the razors similar? Any idea about why the price difference?

Thank Charlie, yes, the grooves on the side of the case are for fitting into the counter display. Also, that locks the case and protects the razor from being "handled".

Three of them and all in mint condition... very well done sir. The Rocket is a great razor, lovely weight and balance. It's currently my razor of choice :biggrin1:

I picked up a nice Rocket HD this weekend and was wondering about the country of origin. There's no "Made In England" underneath the head, just the "II" that's sometimes found there. Were the HDs made anywhere else besides England?

Here's a picture of it, for reference:

proxy.php

Gotta tell you, I found a Rocket HD for 15 bucks at an antique store, and it doesn't shave as well as a 40s SS for mind. It's still miles ahead of any other razor I've tried, but my 53 SS is still the winner

I picked up a nice Rocket HD this weekend and was wondering about the country of origin. There's no "Made In England" underneath the head, just the "II" that's sometimes found there. Were the HDs made anywhere else besides England?

Great catch! I believe, it´s a rare German made. I´ve the same in a cardbox from 1960:

Top Bottom