What's new

British Gillette Rocket Aluminum One

I bought a set that has an Aristocrat Junior case and a razor that looks like a normal Rocket, but is aluminum. Does your aluminum Aristocrat Junior have the baseplate that the brass one has, or does it have the standard Rocket baseplate?

edit: this is actually the one I have. It actually cleaned up really nice.

jeesh, that's a nice razor...

did I mention I'm looking for one? [I remember that one, too.... what was I thinking?]

I have a case for this razor, I think(?). It's plastic, red bottom with a clear top. It's Canadian, but says razor made in UK. Says ROCKET really big on top.QUOTE]

the cases for the hd rockets were clear on top; blue on the bottom. the case you are describing is for the canadian super speed style rocket (razor made in england).

Thanks! The offer still stands, I've got a case that needs a razor.

I have the HD500 variant with the aluminum handle.
It's not the LD, it has the same head as the HD, but with an aluminum handle. I don't know if anyone has one around here.
They don't seem to common.

I've got one of those as well. It is my absolute favorite razor. Took me a while to figure out what I had. Has the HD head, aluminum handle, and nickel knob. Weight falls in between the HD and LD. Came in the blue case.

Here's a pic of mine:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157959

Last edited:
So you're saying that 80% of razors are are wrongly identified? If that were the case, ebay would be a goldmine for collectors. But it isn't, it's just somewhere you can get the occasional great deal. Market forces usually balance everything else out.

The figure is just a casually hyperbolic one. Still, there has been NO room left for doubt through my own eBay experiences that even veteran, supposedly knowledgeable, high-volume sellers sometimes misidentify their wares.

I've 'extended the courtesy' of calling errors or vagaries to the attention of vendors several times. Case-in-point: twice within the last few days I've offered corrections to thesame long-time seller of shaving paraphernalia. He has actually proven himself to be a nice guy. One alert was for a listing description clarification, which was politely acknowledged and acted upon. The more recent was for a listing in which one of his many item photos was of a different razor -- of a different model, just to be clear -- displayed with the doors open to show the blade tray. That's an understandable mistake for almost anyone who is selling briskly, but a questionable oversight for a seasoned reseller. Bottom line, it's a mistake just the same.

I would comfortably go so far as to say that 80% of eBay listings in the shaving genre are at the very least lacking quality in some area. I'm a 'noob', but I generally do my homework well. What I've seen, along with the lack of professionalism I've experienced in terms of responses from indignant, idiotic sellers, strongly suggests that there's a substantial amount of people who are not familiar with what they're selling on eBay and are cavalier about listing it.

I won't further bore you in my long-winded way about the brilliant b*tch who lit into me for being an eBay 'troll'. I very diplomatically called it to her attention that the Slim she was selling as a Fat Boy -- during the Christmas shopping frenzy, no less -- was indeed a horse of a different color.

The proverbial collector's goldmine could conceivably be found on eBay, but I don't see enough of the right kind of listing disparities to favor the 'Holy Grail' find for the collectors. For every 100 variously misidentified Fat Boys there may be one real gem which -- correctly described or not -- exacts a full 'market correction' once knowing, desirous bidders find it.

Two stand-alone Bottom-Dial Fat Boys were recently snagged on eBay by the same bidder, I believe. Those are the kind of item I'd expect to see in the presumed '20%' of correct listings. The one which sold for a higher price was in far less than mint condition. They eventually commanded $1,200+ and $1,600+. The driving market forces here are typical supply and demand. I read a post on B&B in which it was opined that if you're winning more than 10% of the auctions you enter, you're overbidding. It's all relative. Does anyone need these items? Let's keep the lid on that can of worms for now. :wink2: What ultimately matters is the depth of your desire and your pockets.

Caveat Emptor, but sometimes to wonderful benefit!

I have the HD500 variant with the aluminum handle.
It's not the LD, it has the same head as the HD, but with an aluminum handle. I don't know if anyone has one around here.
They don't seem to common.
I have the same. Alu handle but HD head. Also have the HD500 and find that razor more well balanced.

I have the light gold aluminum and silver one. Also a heavy one in silver.

Attachments

• $Gold rocket.jpg
    $Gold rocket.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 30
  • $Gold rocket 4.jpg
    $Gold rocket 4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom