What's new

British, Chinese, Japanese tea

It's a very personal choice of course...'palate uniqueness' and all...

but I love Earl Grey for it's wonderful Bergamot Oil. Also, in the morning or afternoon, a wonderful cup of rich, full flavored Assam. Either way, both seem to have a smoothness and unique character that is really enjoyable.

It's a very personal choice of course...'palate uniqueness' and all...

but I love Earl Grey for it's wonderful Bergamot Oil. Also, in the morning or afternoon, a wonderful cup of rich, full flavored Assam. Either way, both seem to have a smoothness and unique character that is really enjoyable.

+1 I especially enjoy these teas and a western style service when having my evening pipe, the only trouble is finding an Earl Grey that does not use artificial flavorings and pile them heavily on to mask an inferior leaf. The example I linked to earlier is on of the few examples that provide a good cup anymore.

+1 I especially enjoy these teas and a western style service when having my evening pipe, the only trouble is finding an Earl Grey that does not use artificial flavorings and pile them heavily on to mask an inferior leaf. The example I linked to earlier is on of the few examples that provide a good cup anymore.

Incredibly true...hadn't thought about it that way. Are there any indicators/giveaways which can clue one in on whether artificial flavorings or an inferior leaf is being purported?

Or is it that I'm just going to have to drink copious amounts to broaden my frame of reference? ;) which wouldn't be such a bad thing in and of itself...

Already looking into the link...cheers.

...the only trouble is finding an Earl Grey that does not use artificial flavorings and pile them heavily on to mask an inferior leaf.

One time when Stash tea bags were on sale at the supermarket, I bought some Earl Grey. The scent about knocked me over when I opened both the box and the individual bags. I tried it a few times, but I just couldn't take it. It was like having tea flavored with Pledge furniture polish. :tongue_sm

One time when Stash tea bags were on sale at the supermarket, I bought some Earl Grey. The scent about knocked me over when I opened both the box and the individual bags. I tried it a few times, but I just couldn't take it. It was like having tea flavored with Pledge furniture polish. :tongue_sm

That's why I'm really enjoying the Harney and Sons Earl Grey Supreme right now! It uses a high quality tea and while the bergamont is present is not overwhelming and gives way to the pleasant taste of the underlying tea.

Incredibly true...hadn't thought about it that way. Are there any indicators/giveaways which can clue one in on whether artificial flavorings or an inferior leaf is being purported?

Or is it that I'm just going to have to drink copious amounts to broaden my frame of reference? ;) which wouldn't be such a bad thing in and of itself...

Already looking into the link...cheers.

A nice thing about Upton is that they list whether natural or artificial flavors are being used as well as the grade of leaf in many cases. They also have reviews for each blend but that really only serves to narrow the field. There is no substitute for trying for yourself. A good Earl Grey, or jasmine is about the only flavored tea I'll purchase. I do occasionally add a bit of Osmanthus blossom to an uninteresting or overly astringent green.

Top Bottom