What's new

British Aristocrat First Impressions vs US TTOs

Morning gents,

I've recently bought a made in England Aristocrat from fellow member @Black-Tie. The razor is beautiful and in amazing condition. Doors open and close smoothly and it feels a lot different from the US brothers. The mechanism is smoother and feels sturdy.

I loaded it with a Gillette platinum light blue pack blade and went for it. WTG/XTG only.

First stroke, I had to check if I was using the correct angle, this thing is so smooth! It seemed I had forgotten to put a blade in it. The razor sounded different from my Red tip and 40s Super Speed. It sounded more muted, like there was a lot more blade rigidity. My GC 84/68 sound similar. US brothers on the other hand sound more like a merkur progress, louder.

Second pass it felt like there wasn't anything left to cut, literally. I had to watch the pressure considering how gentle this razor was. Amazingly mild but so effective!

I had possibly the smoothest shave of my life, comparing with my other vintage gillettes and also my modern razors.

How can a similar design sound and shave so differently? And to be clear, I'm not saying the US versions are bad because they're not, but this British thing took it to another level. It's about to become my number 1.

I'd like to thank @Black-Tie for the quick transaction and thank you all for reading.

Happy shaves
Alex

Congratulations on your purchase!

From your description it sounds like you have been able to acquire one of the later models and those are indeed mechanically smooth working. They give a mild and effortless shave too 👌🏼

You are not the only one with such experience when comparing the US and British models. Quite a few have stated that they found the TTO mechanism noticeable more smooth and experienced less rattle. A feeling of a bit more sturdy construction.

I think this thread is the one with the most comparisons should you find it interesting:

Aristocrat Showdown! US vs England! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/aristocrat-showdown-us-vs-england.542404/

That being said there is no looking back for you now. You must go hunting for more 'Aristocrat'-models 🙂

Congratulations on your purchase!

From your description it sounds like you have been able to acquire one of the later models and those are indeed mechanically smooth working. They give a mild and effortless shave too 👌🏼

You are not the only one with such experience when comparing the US and British models. Quite a few have stated that they found the TTO mechanism noticeable more smooth and experienced less rattle. A feeling of a bit more sturdy construction.

I think this thread is the one with the most comparisons should you find it interesting:

Aristocrat Showdown! US vs England! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/aristocrat-showdown-us-vs-england.542404/

That being said there is no looking back for you now. You must go hunting for more 'Aristocrat'-models 🙂
Thank you! I'll sure check this thread out.

I'm really amazed at those differences. If it only were limited to the mechanism it would already be something, but the shave is also very very different.

Well done British Gillettes.

I have an Aristocrat, though not English, and it is a great shaving razor. By far my favorite vintage Gillette.

Thanks for sharing.

So I assume here you got a late 40's early 50's solid bar British aristocrat?

If so, now you must get a '30s English Open Comb TTO.

Then get a '49/'50 US executive.

You're welcome.

So I assume here you got a late 40's early 50's solid bar British aristocrat?

If so, now you must get a '30s English Open Comb TTO.

Then get a '49/'50 US executive.

You're welcome.
It’s a 4th generation. Here it is.

IMG_5515.jpeg
IMG_5516.jpeg
IMG_5517.jpeg
IMG_5518.jpeg

Top Bottom