What's new

British Aristocrat Collection

Here is my collection of British Aristocrats.

picture.php

Both 15's, left is rhodium, right is silver.

picture.php

The 66, one of my favorites.

picture.php

The 16.

picture.php

The 21.

picture.php

The DeLuxe, definitely the center piece.

Anyway, thanks for looking! I am very proud of my collection.

I had to remove tarnish from the silver.

That's kind of intereseting because I have the same two #15 razors as you (British and French market versions), and both arrived to me with nary a spot of tarnish. As you can see in the pictures, the plating on the two #15s looks identical to the #66 in the middle, but in the second picture, you can see that the Popular model (which is silver plated and came out at the same time as the #15) looks decidedly darker (the difference doesn't show that well in the picture, but it is far more noticeable in person), and it did come to me with a bit of tarnish on it. I wonder if Gillette plated them in both metals?

proxy.php

proxy.php

So would you say that rhodium never has any tarnish, and that if there is tarnish the razor is silver-plated? Seems that all my "rhodium-plated" razors show tarnish when cleaned with Maas or Flitz but I just figured it was a result of age and moisture exposure.

Would be interesting if there were some exacting method for determining whether the plating is rhodium or silver. Any suggestions?

Woah. What's the popular? I hadn't seen it till today

The Popular was basically a lighter version of the #15, with an actually fancier bulldog knurling. It was, I believe, made in four versions: Silver plated in a blue Bakelite case (#45), gold plated in a cream Bakelite case (#46), silver plated in a chrome plated case (#47), and a French set that had a silver plated head with a black handle in a cream or white Bakelite case.

Here is the silver plated model in comparison to a #15.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

So would you say that rhodium never has any tarnish, and that if there is tarnish the razor is silver-plated? Seems that all my "rhodium-plated" razors show tarnish when cleaned with Maas or Flitz but I just figured it was a result of age and moisture exposure.

Would be interesting if there were some exacting method for determining whether the plating is rhodium or silver. Any suggestions?

Interesting point, because I don't believe rhodium is tarnish proof, just highly tarnish resistant. Usually you can tell one from the other by the color (rhodium looks bright white), but I think only an examination by a jeweler could determine for certain.

I´m not sure, but I believe the silver plated brit. Aristocrat comes 1936 and was only called "Aristocrat". 1938 he was rhodium plated and called #15 Aristocrat:

1936:
proxy.php

1938:
proxy.php

Last edited:
Wow...you learn something new everyday...I hadn't even seen a popular till now and I thought I'd been doing my research. Are they particularly rare or something?

Top Bottom