What's new

WTB British 1.gen 'Aristocrat' versions

Hello gents!

At the moment I'm trying to collect the 1.gen British 'Aristocrat'-razors from Gillette and I'm still short of some of the versions.

It can quickly become quite nerdy about subtle differences, so if you are thinking about selling one or more of yours please let me know.

I can quickly determine if it's one of the models I'm looking for :a14:

Thanks!

I call mine "Dangles" 'cause I can't speak no French :)
I can't say that I have names for my copies, but they are for sure some fine ladies 😄
IMG_0922.jpg

The 3 across the right and bottom all the same?

Nope, the one in the middle is French and plated in silver. The other two have British writing and rhodium plating.

Please do show your #15. There is actually five different combinations maybe you have one of the more rare ones 🙂

#66 is for sure regarded as a 'Aristocrat'

#58 has been given different names in different contries as far as I know it was sometimes advertised as a 'Aristocrat' but other times 'Aristocrat Junior'.

#59 I'm not aware of this model. Please show pictures.

Great with the pictures. Your 1.gen 'Aristocrat' looks to be silver plated which will make it the same model as mine. The 5 combinations of the #15 I'm talking about are these:

1. French writing on razor and case, rhodium plating, diamond logo case
  2. British writing on razor and case, silver plating, diamond logo case
  3. French writing on razor and case, silver plating, diamond logo case
  4. Smooth bands, rhodium plating, big letters case
  5. British writing on razor and case, rhodium plating, diamond logo case

-Number "1" being the rarest.

In regards to the #59 I forgot that set:

https://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1955 No59.JPG

It's not regarded as a 'Aristocrat', but an English 'Rocket'. If I remember correctly the #58 and #59 were actually often referred to by just those numbers and nothing else in Gillette's advertising.

Great with the pictures. Your 1.gen 'Aristocrat' looks to be silver plated which will make it the same model as mine. The 5 combinations of the #15 I'm talking about are these:

1. French writing on razor and case, rhodium plating, diamond logo case
  2. British writing on razor and case, silver plating, diamond logo case
  3. French writing on razor and case, silver plating, diamond logo case
  4. Smooth bands, rhodium plating, big letters case
  5. British writing on razor and case, rhodium plating, diamond logo case

-Number "1" being the most rare one.

In regards to the #59 I forgot that set:

https://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1955 No59.JPG

It's not regarded as a 'Aristocrat', but an English 'Rocket'. If I remember correctly the #58 and #59 were actually often referred to by just those numbers and nothing else in Gillette's advertising.
Yup, no.3 from your description. It was badly tarnished when I got it, shined up like a gem.
For nay sayers to polishing I'd say the tarnish is from years of not being cared for. I like to take care of my new to me things as if I've had it all along... so, just like I wax my car, I buff my razors with a jewelers cloth. Plus it gives me time to bond with them and something to do watching the book tube lol.

These abc cases were black when I got them. The basketweave was tarnished so badly I had to pick it off with my fingernail before I could buff it out!...HOURS by hand.
Once I get them mirror finished I maintain the surface and let the background patina for contrast to really pop the pattern... most evident on the flower case. Again, for the may sayers, it comes back. The flower hasn't had anything but surface buffs occasionally over the last 2 years.
Finally, still don't like it?... no worries, not for sale ;)

Attachments

• 16415399965152398824874325493499.jpg
    16415399965152398824874325493499.jpg
    925.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That's how silver plating behaves over time when it gets oxidised :)

If you look at my Gillette British Aristocrat 1st generation OC No #2 Traveller, silver De Luxe in the top of the picture the razor is also heavily tarnished for now. It's thoroughly cleaned, but I have chosen to keep the patina for now. It should clean up just as nice and shiny as the other silver plated one if I at one point make that choice...

I'm just like you. Taking care of these beauties is essentiel for me. They need to be clean, functional and shiny. I can accept some scratches and plate loss. That just shows character and age 👌🏼

Thanks! The imperial hasn't been touched since I brought the whole thing to a mirror shine. The detail is starting to pop a bit, I'll give it a surface buff sometime this year... then she'll really pop. :)

Top Bottom