What's new

Brisket in the oven...*sigh*

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just not as good as one smoked. We did one today in the oven. 10lb brisket. Trimmed the fat to roughly 1/4 inch. Put a dry rub on it. Put it in the oven at 275 for several hours.

It was good. I ate it. And I’ll eat leftovers tomorrow. .. . ... BUT.....I can’t help but think we didn’t achive it’s fullest potential! It just wasn’t the same. No bark. No smoke ring. No smokey flavor.

I'm still jealous.... When I lived in Texas every supermarket had pre-smoked selections - you just throw it in the oven for 30 min. and you have an excellent brisket. I haven't had good brisket since I left Texas, 10 years ago. Not even at a restaurant....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That’s part of my problem. There’s good brisket everywhere around here. Middle Tennessee. Lots of decent BBQ places

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Smoked brisket...well it's just the best thing since sliced brisket. But, If its cooked in the oven, its tender, tastes pretty good and goes well in a sandwich, I would say you've done just fine.

....not.

I would rather BBQ my brisket and pork but but every once n a while it's just n the oven. For me, pork is fine with just salt and pepper but beef needs a bit more (an over night marinade, braised in red wine etc.). When in the oven and covered (or crock pot) I do trim most of the fat though compared to the BBQ.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
You can buy the Stubbs Liquid Smoke for faux brisket. It helps.

No bark but if you close your eyes while you are eating it, you can imagine that it's real brisket.

Awwww, who am I kidding?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I haven't cooked a brisket in the oven in a long time, but I adjusted my rub for it when I did. Specifically, I substituted smoked paprika for hot/sweet paprika, and I added more (if you didn't have any in there, then add some). I think I also added more cumin. I know I paid more attention to herbs, since they would hold up better in the oven than in a smoky pit.

Top Bottom